Thread: Broken Hip

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Broken Hip

Here's my story.

I was racing the 12 hours of Cranky Monkey at Quantico VA, this was my first every mountain bike race. On my third, and last lap, somehow I ended up clipping a tree just enough to send me to the ground in a hurry. I was about 6.5 miles into a 9.5 mile lap. I got up moved my bike and self out of the trail. I had some good scrapes on my elbow, knee and shoulder. Initially it hurt to walk, but I chalked that up to the welt I had on my thigh.

After about a minute, I got back on the bike and completed my lap. Riding hurt less than walking. After completing my lap I cleaned up up the scrapes, and check out my leg. It's bruised and sore but nothing horrible. I was limping pretty badly and after the adrenalin wore off, the pain was getting worse. I drove home, but could barely get my foot from the gas to the brake. When I got home, I had trouble getting my shoes off. I decided to wait until morning to go to the ER. Sunday nights are pretty busy in the ER.

I went to the ER on Monday morning, got X-Rays. PA told me they saw no broken bones, sent me home with crutches and diagnosis of deep bruise. After a couple of days on crutches, I started walking on it again and seemed to be getting better. I was still limping, but no sharp pain.

On the 5th of July the pain returned and by the end of the day I could barely walk. I went to my primary DR, and was sent for more X-Rays and referred to an Orthopedist. Again I'm told no break. I see the ortho the next day. He looks at the X-Rays, and doesn't like what he sees. He X-rays me again, and the X-rays look the same. He is pretty sure I have a femoral neck fracture. He sends me for a CT scan, and puts me on crutches, with absolutely no weight on injured leg. He's concerned that I could displace the fracture and require hip replacement.

I returned to the ortho with the CT film, and he confirms the femoral neck fracture. They schedule surgery for 2 days later.

Surgery went well. I had 3 screws inserted to stabilize the fracture. Pain wasn't too bad overall. I'm still on crutches. Seeing the ortho today. Hopefully I'll get the go ahead to ditch the crutches.

The bright side, my team came in 4th in the race, I now match my titanium bike, and the bike sustained no damage.

WC

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ouch. Hope you heal soon.

You're the fourth person I've known to break a hip this year (one older co-worker fell, another co-worker in a car accident, and a friend who suffered from a similar problem as Landis and had replacement surgery last month).

How is the course at Quantico?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The course was great. Lots of climbing, some nice fast fire roads, some tough obstacles, and really nice singletrack. The course was in great shape the entire day. It was one of the most challenging courses I have ridden, but I haven't ridden in that many different places.

Ortho said I'm healing, and can start weaning off the crutches, but no running, jogging or mountain biking for another 4 weeks. I might try to get on the trainer before then.

WC

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

How did everyone keep missing the fracture?

Did the guy who knew what he was doing get an X-Ray from a different angle?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Xrays

For the first set of X-Rays only 2 views were shot. (in the ER)
    The second set took 6 different view, to include the femur.

I asked the ortho about the missed fracture. He said I hav e2 things going against a hip fracture diagnosis. I'm not female, and I'm "too young" to have a hip fracture. The radiologist also probably wasn't told what the circumstances of the injury were. If he or she had been, it might have gotten picked it up. I'm mildly peeved that it wasn't caught at the ER. I wouldn't have spent three weeks walking around on a broken hip, risking possible displacement of the fracture.

WC

aka Dick Dangle

Replacement

I had mine replaced you don't wont to go there.

Believer in Darwin
    How is your leg now if I may ask. You seemed pretty positive about it.
    I fractured my femoral neck in May of 2007, had the 3 screws put in(which I must admit hurt like hell), and was back training by late August of 2007.
    At this point in time, the feeling of being fully recovered is almost there. I have gone through some overcompensation issues with my good leg and my bike fit(seemed to have lost my spot on the saddle). My injured leg is finally starting to pedal with some force.
    My race results have been crappy though. Racing Semi Pro is no place for the one legged. It has taken a long time to really get my top end back, that edge to push to the max. I'd say it isn't really back yet.
    I have been wondering what others' experiences have been recovering from this type of injury.
    It has been an exhausting and frustrating road to get to this point(I'm a very active person).
    Hopefully everyone has recovered well or is on the way.
    paz afuera

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

1 Year later

I'm 1 year post op as of this weekend. I still have days were I really notice it. Sitting for long periods of time(commuting) really seem to aggravate it the most. I'm still fighting range of motion issues. I opted not to do PT, although I'm now seriously considering it.

I too have noticed that I'm not as comfortable on the seat anymore. I have been trying to get the fit dialed back in. I've tried seat higher, lower, forward and back. I've even changed seats. I think I've finally found a happy medium, although lately I've experience ankle soreness in the injured leg. I've been riding exclusively road since I got the go ahead to ride again last November.

I haven't raced since, but I've noticed that the fitness is coming back slowly. 4 months off is hard to overcome, plus I didn't ride nearly as much as normal this winter.

I hope to eventually return to "normal." Although, given new hip mechanics, I don't think that will ever happen.

WC

mtbr member
    I thought broken hips were more of a roadie thing- calcium loss from long hours of no impact aerobics and concrete when they go down. Having known a couple of older women who broke hips I thought they were supposed to get to a 'no pain' state in less than a year. Hope you get better soon.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Believer in Darwin
    Sorry to hear that it still hurts while sitting. I know what you mean, if the seat has a really concave shape, then the bones angle, making it very uncomfortable. I drove 12hrs in December with no discomfort, that was a big step for me.
    I did go PT for 3 months and felt it helped me a lot. I wouldn't have known where to start. Waking up from a vicodine haze was quite the thrill.
    My range of motion is almost there, but for instance, I cannot pull my leg bent towards my chest(think tucking up for a cannonball in a pool). Still working on that one. Or since I am skinny right now for racing, when I lie on my right side, I can feel the screws.
    Paz afuera