Thread: Broken hand?

Rejoicing always!

Broken hand?

I caught myself on my hand over a week ago, and bruised the heel of my hand. Now, there's a bump on the heel of my hand, closer to the middle of my hand, rather than near the thumb.

It's still there, and if I push on it with some force, it's uncomfortable. I have low pain tolerance, so I don't think it's broken, but, as I've never broken a bone, I'm curious. COuld I have a broken a bone without being in excruciating pain? I was riding within a day, and it doesn't bother me in day to day life at all. It's simplay a little more sensitive than normal.

Many thanks in advance.

AZ
    banned
    Hands usualy swell when broken , but not every time . If you have not lost mobility or dexterity and it is not extraordinarily tender it is prob. not broken . If however there is any doubt you should have it looked at by a doctor as untreated broken bones can have lifelong consequenses.

Disgruntled Peccary
    yea, when I broke my hand (fifth metacarpal, and yea don't punch with that side of your hand) it swelled to just about twice it's normal size almost immediately. Course, I also almost passed out after hearing the crack too. The bump could just be a cyst, but I'd agree that if you're concerned have it looked at.
    mike

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    The bones I have broken I knew immediately. It's a sensation you typically feel when a bone breaks.

However....a friend of mine broke his arm, and i heard it happen. He didn't believe me when I told him I heard it break and he tried to prove it by doing pushups! He did a set of ten on a broken arm, and I've seen him cry over a bruised funny bone...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had an almost exact same situation. I went OTB and caught myself with my hands, my left hand right at the base of it hurt for about 2 months and finally went away a couple weeks ago. Sounds more like soft tissue damage to me.

Rejoicing always!
    Hey all,

it's all better now. Good gloves with appropriate padding, plus not landing on the hand for a couple of weeks, and it's all good.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    @geoffmayne

You could have a "splinter" fracture, which is what happened to me on the 4th metacarpal after my June 2009 fall. Key features of a fracture are 1) nausea after the accident (debateable) and 2) blood pooling in the palm of your hand about 24 hours later.

Radiograph (X-Ray) is the only way to be sure.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    This is a picture of my broken hands from this season 2 different crashes. The right hand needed surgery and the left is what a hand looks like with a small fracture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken hand?-15937_166103911932_566276932_3308036_8179521_n.jpg  

Broken hand?-4313_81132156932_566276932_2286416_220374_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dhmatt View Post
    This is a picture of my broken hands from this season 2 different crashes. The right hand needed surgery and the left is what a hand looks like with a small fracture.
    Went OTB on a washed out trail Aug 4th. Just found out I have 5th Metacarpal splinter fracture (acute communal) and got splinted. Going for CAT today to see if surgery is required. Those of you that have had this happen, can you recover and ride 100% or are crashes more likely to reinjure?

what the quan?!
    Coming up on 9 weeks after my OTB fracturing metas 2/3/4. Luckily no surgery. Working on strength training now. Squeeze test is at 20lbs vs 100lbs on my good hand... got quite a bit to go. Doc says after 12 weeks I can get back on bike with light riding. Dirt roads and what not with no drops just yet. I hope to make 100% recovery, it's been a painful and annoyingly slooooow process.

A bit worried about the upcoming snowboarding season...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elcocopeli View Post
    @geoffmayne

You could have a "splinter" fracture, which is what happened to me on the 4th metacarpal after my June 2009 fall. Key features of a fracture are 1) nausea after the accident (debateable) and 2) blood pooling in the palm of your hand about 24 hours later.

Radiograph (X-Ray) is the only way to be sure.

Good luck!
    How long till you were back on the bike? The problem with a hand injury and our sport is you know you are going to fall on it again.

Members who have read this thread: 1