Thread: Broken Fibula

mtbr member

Broken Fibula

Had a spill at whistler on my most recent trip on Lower Duffman. Rocky section which was fairly low speed and front wheel slipped off my intended line and I came off the bike and and planted my foot.

I believe the shin guard took the brunt of the injury, and rolled during the fall I heard a crack and inmediate pain, checked myself over (body armour,knee,shin,full face,and neck brace) and all seemed well.

This happened on Friday and decided to wait till I got back home in the states on monday and the doc said I had a broken fibula. Not to bad. Gave me a walking boot and told me take it easy for 6 weeks or so and just listen to my body.

It wasnt a complete break but a stress fracture
    With some visible cracking.

Anybody had something similar? Thinking of a month off and gauging my comfort level then.

I do a decent amount of crossfit so Im just gonna scale down my workouts to bodyweight and low impact stuff to maintain conditioning

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    let it heal and you'll be better in the long term.

mtbr member
    Stress fractures are common with sports like ours. I usually give it a week and or less.
    Bart Brejcha
    Design-engine.com
    engineer retraining

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info...

Needless to say this is alot less worse injury than the broken femur I had in 2009, broke the ball off the knee, not a good day, 8 months on crutches and alot of rehab, still feel it from time to time.

Today is about 1 week from injury, still limping around some and having some issues, walking down stairs, and jolts/sudden moves cause some issues. The boot actually hurts more than it does anything. I have been sticking with KT Tape (keneisiology) and a neoprene ankle/calf cuff.

Havent ran into any swelling or bruising. This is more aggravating than anything, feels like a constant shin splint/lower calf cramp.....

mtbr member
    xray techs / doctors often suck or are lazy. on one skateboard injury in 2008 the doctor told me I definitely don't have a fracture. Yet the bone in the xray was completely white all around the bottom indicating a crush. I was having a hard time walking after coming down hard. I was paying cash for the xrays and wanted the good foot exrayed so to compare. They refused.

what are you too busy? I was the only patent in the office and it's a recession.
    Bart Brejcha
    Design-engine.com
    engineer retraining

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by design-engine View Post
    xray techs / doctors often suck or are lazy. on one skateboard injury in 2008 the doctor told me I definitely don't have a fracture. Yet the bone in the xray was completely white all around the bottom indicating a crush. I was having a hard time walking after coming down hard. I was paying cash for the xrays and wanted the good foot exrayed so to compare. They refused.

what are you too busy? I was the only patent in the office and it's a recession.

Yep, substandard health care sucks...... Always good to have a 2nd opinion. Did you recover ok?

mtbr member
    I suppose I healed okay. I often limp when I get up from a desk fast for 10 seconds. I crashed into a pine tree yesterday tho. That hurts
    Bart Brejcha
    Design-engine.com
    engineer retraining

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    broken fibula two places--hurt like hell approx 2 to 3 weeks---mainly after each "un-elevation". Also had a walking boot but told to keep weight off of it..which I "mostly" obeyed the first couple weeks. Anyway I'm back to all my usual activities but on some of our short steep TX "hills" here I either still "feel" it a tad or dont quite ahve the confidence. But 99% there and pleased enough for not having a cast and a too strcit regimen. Oh I did see the PT for 8 appointments and to me the "balancing" exercise were not worth it; I have flat feet and dont balance well anyway. THis just made me more sore for a short bit.

Good luck.

Andrew
    Ouch man. Glad you had the protection on or it could have been much worse. Good luck with the recovery!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Finally got into my Orthopedic Dr today and good report.

Break is just a crack, non displaced although it did completely make it thru. Said I should be back to 100% effort levels on the DH bike in 4 weeks, so that will be 6 weeks total. He also conducted a stability test of my ankle for all the tendon/ligaments for stability "realtime" under and x-ray machine to check for gapping between the tibia and ankle/foot, and all was good. He said sometimes with fibula breaks there is alot of torsional/radial forces applied to the ankle which will contribute to a combined fibula break and major soft tissue damage, not my case apparently.

He suggested I get back on the bike, keep it light and local, no DH and listen to injury, if it hurts back off the intensity/technical level.

I was subscribed a heavy duty sports ankle brace & calf neoprene support cuff to help with healing and support.