Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Broken Femur-1 Year Later

So last year on Mar 20th. I broke my Femur about 7" below my hip joint. Never want that experience again! It was the most horrendous thing I have ever been through. The healing is still going on, but most of that, is in my head! 1 year later, I am riding everything I was riding before the accident! This weekend, I am having a celebratory ride at the same place I broke it at (Roaring Run in Apollo, Pa.) and will ride the same "feature" that I broke it on w/a bunch of the same people that were there that day! Those folks really helped me get throught the ordeal, until Search and Rescue and Life Flight took me to the hospital.

I was back on the bike in 7 weeks and back on single track in 3 months! Thanks to my Physical Therapists and the encouragement of my friends and family! I am so grateful to all of the people that made my recovery possible!

My main reason to post this is two fold. One, to thank everyone for their encouragement and two, to let others out there with the same injury know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Get off the pain meds as soon as is realistic, get to PT, grit it out through the PT and do more than you think you can, and know that you'll be riding again!! THANKS!!!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Gimme free stuff
    good for you!
    I broke my femur mid shaft skiing about 5 years back, my senior year of HS. Came back through the PT and all and had a successful recovery. I played high level D3 lacrosse the next year and now ride all the time. It was a horrible ordeal but I got through it just like you. So everyone can get through it!
    Have fun riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Glad your back in the saddle and out havin fun. I broke mine about 4.5 yrs ago up top and was riding the next season,it definitely sets you back but if you have a good support system and work hard on the PT your back in no time. Do you guys have plates rods or both,if you have a rod have you ever thought of getting it removed?