mtbr member

Broken collarbone...OUCH!

Last June my front tire popped going downhill and i ate some dirt. I hit with my arm extended and rolled several times till i came to a stop. Once i got up, i thought i just bruised my shoulder till i saw the bone moving around when i tried moving my arm. I ended up with my collarbone broken into 3 pieces. After 2 surgeries and 9 months, i am just now getting back on my bike. I still have shoulder issues but at least i am riding again. My first break riding my bike! Not a fun experience...wouldnt you know it, it was supposed to be a easy evening ride on a fire road!!! What amazed me was i have taken alot harder falls going much faster and usually just scraped my arms or legs up. Now i see how easy it is to break something.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yep broke mine last week, too. I hope to be riding again, in a month. Get alot of rest....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my biggest riding injuries are always from the lamest crashes. last year when cruzing home from work i bunny hopped a small median strip and after my back wheel clipped it, i ate the bitumen and broke my collarbone. just this afternoon i was slowly riding through an off camber corner i have ridden 1000 times, washed out and managed to split my chin open!

mtbr member
    Good luck to you, i hope you are back riding soon too. My issue was i got too much rest, my first surgery they put a pin in me, and it re broke when they moved me onto the recovery table. After over a month of pain and a bunch of pain killers, they FINALLY did an xray and saw that it was indeed broken....then plated it and after sleeping in the recliner and watching alot of espn, i recovered. I wish i could have been riding a month after my accident. Did they just re-set yours or operate on it? Hope yours goes much better than mine did. Get well so you can start hitting the trails again!

Mike

mtbr member
    isnt that the truth...those lame crashes can really get a person! I will never underestimate a lame crash again!!!! Did you have to get stitches? At least you can continue riding and arent laid up. Thanks for responding.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

feeling your pain

Broke my collar bone a few years back. I'm still amazed at how quick the whole thing took, one minute I was flying, came around a turn, locked my front up and the next minute I'm on my back w/ a weird feeling in my left shoulder. Took about 6 weeks, 4 or so in a sling and left a cool lump afterwards for a conversation piece.