mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Broken collar bone with some new titanium

3 weeks ago a couple of us were headed over to TN for a National DH race trying to qualify for nationals. We stopped at a buddies place who has a 200 acre farm in the Green Mtn area of NC. 4K ft at the top of the mtn with 1400' of decent in a 1/4 mile.
    We were just warming up on the DH rigs since we hadn't been on them this year.

On the last turn of the last run on the last hill... I went down.
    Clink the link for the crash
    crash - YouTube

That was April 12th, 7 hours from home.
    The X-ray from the closest hosp in TN.

Displaced the bone 2.5cm.
    Got back home and saw the orthopedist Monday, 16 Apr.
    Wed 18 Apr. I was being operated on to get this thing back together.

7 screws and a titanium plate.

Some say the plate looks like an elevated skinny...

It's been 2 weeks since the surgery. Things are healing well but I still have limited use of right arm. Can't ride a bike but I was cleared to get on a stationary bike at the gym.

Life is good and I hope to be back in full action in 6 more weeks. Have to get ready for the National DH race mid July.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I broke my collarbone one year ago this week. No surgery and I was back to work on July 5th. I'm a maintenance mechanic and my job is physically demanding, or doc would have cleared me 2 weeks earlier.
    At about 3 weeks, I started riding my road bike and was back on the trail after my first day back to work. One year later, it's as strong(stronger) than before, but I still don't have that last inch of motion.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm expecting to be back on the bike (mtn bike) taking it easy by mid June. I must be full bore for Nationals Mid-July. Sucks I'm missing opening weekend at Snow Shoe and the first Beech Mtn race but at least it happened early in the season.

I'm in the military and also work aviation. Although I don't turn too many wrenches anymore I got 30 days conversant leave after the surgery. I've actually gone into work a couple times to sign some paperwork and catch up on a few things. I'll be back to work next week working half days because I can't take it anymore. It sucks sitting at home with things to do and you really can't.

I watch a lot of Sportscenter and I think I found the end of the internet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I broke my collarbone 15 years ago in a mountain bike crash. The brake was to high to set so they left it. keep stretching your shoulder. If I lay on my back with my arms above my head my left arm is a inch or two from the floor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    I'm expecting to be back on the bike (mtn bike) taking it easy by mid June. I must be full bore for Nationals Mid-July. Sucks I'm missing opening weekend at Snow Shoe and the first Beech Mtn race but at least it happened early in the season.

I'm in the military and also work aviation. Although I don't turn too many wrenches anymore I got 30 days conversant leave after the surgery. I've actually gone into work a couple times to sign some paperwork and catch up on a few things. I'll be back to work next week working half days because I can't take it anymore. It sucks sitting at home with things to do and you really can't.

I watch a lot of Sportscenter and I think I found the end of the internet.

Now that it's been a while how did your recovery go?

I just broke my collarbone a week ago and had surgery a couple days later. Plate with 7 screws, and I think he added a couple more screws on the ends to help hold the bone together. I'm worried about the chances of re-breaking once I start riding again on a simple fall, or even being able to wear a Camelback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sitting in the Doctors waiting room now hoping I didn't break my collar bone

Edited: collar bone is intact. It's a torn or pulled muscle or tendant.
    Last edited by 50calray; 01-31-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)