mtbr member

Broken collar bone heck yea!!!

Well after 3 months of riding i broke my collar bone on some jumps in belgium . Broke it saturday had surgery weds to put the rod and screws in. i will say im shocked how much motion i have back just two days after the surgery. The way things are looking im hoping to be back riding the start of july

mtbr member
    What does someone who has had this happen to them think about mid july to start riding again. am i pushing it??

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I broke my collarbone last June and due to a mal-union, had surgery to put the plate and screws in this past March. I'm three months after surgery and I can do everything I did before except lift heavy items with the left (injury side) arm.

I rode on paved trails two months after surgery when the surgeon gave me the green light and some bumps did not feel good. Even though recovery has been good and I have 100% range of motion, there are certain moves that still hurt, in addition to the plate and screws bothering me (I'm skinny and you can see the plate and screws through the skin). I can't even wear a backpack. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited a few more weeks to ride, as it set me back some.

Today I had a followup and got the green light to ride smooth trails, but no jumps or rock gardens yet. Honestly, I don't think my collarbone is ready for trails yet, but the surgeon insists the bone is healing well and it would take a big shock to cause any damage, but my pain says otherwise. The surgeon says the pain I have is soft tissue and not bone related, as the nerves he tore through when he made the incision are reconnecting. The bone and hardware looked good on the x-rays. I might give it another week or two before I head to the trails. The last thing I want is to get injured and miss another full season.

To answer your question, I think July is pushing it, but everyone heals different. There are guys who began riding weeks after surgery and guys like me who took a little longer. Just follow the advise of your surgeon and you should be OK. Your body will also let you know if you are pushing it. Good luck with your recovery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    having nothing productive to say medical wise but i need to up my post count before i can post my new edit.

i wish you a speedy recovery my friend

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input RallyPunx. The doc pretty much said the same thing u just told me. It driving me nuts tho seeing my bike and not being able to ride it