Thread: Broken bones

Just a flesh wound

Bonking ... not feelin' well Broken bones

At the end of a solid night ride, as I approached the parking lot, I crashed and broke 3 ribs, and fractured 3 transverse processes (small fins on back of vertebrae). No internal organ damage, no lung collapse issues.

Fair bit of pain right now. Any personal experiences to let me know what to expect for healing and riding again? Ribs were busted clean through. The fractured vertebrae hurt worse.

No jokes! It hurts to laugh.
    Last edited by Prophet Julio; 09-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ribs will feel better in a few weeks but will likely bug you a lot for a month or more.
    Rib pain will go from sharp radiating pain to more localized dull pain eventually.
    Sounds like you have "real" broken ribs.
    Everyone heals at different rates, but you're in for several weeks of discomfort at least.
    Transverse Process-often times no big deal if nothing else was impacted. However, pay particular attention to the development of any numbness/tingling/shooting nerve type pain in your extremities over the next few weeks as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hang in there brother. I've broken ribs 11 times all together. They will feel better in just a few weeks. Laughing will bother you for awhile.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

Just a flesh wound

Thanks for the input

I'll hang tough. The inability to do anything is really a lousy feeling. I have never been so beat up and hobbled. Well, exsept for when I herniated a disc but I have forgotten about that.

Isn't it funny how you forget about pain unless it's here and now?

mtbr member
    Feel better soon. I'm on day 8 of cracked ribs and still not much relief for what it's worth.

Just a flesh wound
    How those ribs coming along? Mine stopped popping after 2 weeks. They are still a little sore, but at 5 and half weeks, they feel almost healed. The fractured Transverse Processes also feel much, much better, but I can tell they need a few more weeks. I started riding again today, but just in the neighborhood with the kids on my MTB. Feels good to pedal!

So for the sake of encouraging others, your broken bones will heal, maybe faster than you think, and the pain goes away. So keep smiling!

Just a flesh wound
    I've been riding for a week now. Fully recovered with no pain issues. If anyone is in pain, keep as positive as you can, you will heal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    brings back some memories, i guess your much better now. I bust 6 ribs and punctured my lung, so i know how you feel!