mtbr member

Broken ankle since February

I just found out this week that I've had a broken ankle since February!
    Bad boarding accident caused by a reckless rider back in Feb and it was diagnosed as a sprained ankle. Worst accident I've had in the 16 years I've been boarding- also tore my rotator cuff from it.
    Fast forward to now, 8 months later, raced all season, even Mt snow national, constantly in pain. But, was told it was just a bad sprain, not much to do but surgery or a brace. Already had two major knee surgeries in the past so just wore a brace all season. Anyone else have this experience of being misdiagnosed or ankle surgery? From what I've read it's pretty common for breaks to be misdiagnosed as sprains. Who says girls aren't tough... Oh...I may need surgery now as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hope that you are recovering without the surgery. I'm in the same boat. I "sprained" my ankle in June and found out two months later, when the pain wasn't going away, that I actually broke my tibia. The frustrating part was that I went to Urgent Care right after the sprain, they took and x-ray and barely looked at it. When I went to get a copy of my xray a couple months later, even I noticed the fracture. Fast forward two more months and I'm still on crutches because the bones aren't fusing properly. Hope to be back on the bike soon though! Heal fast!

mtbr member
    This is crazy to me. I'm sorry you went through it. Have they casted you yet, or will they? Also, what kind of surgery?

After I broke my leg, I found a site that has a discussion forum, plus faq for broken legs and ankles that will help, definitely so if you have surgery.

www.mybrokenleg.com
    :wq