Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Went from a cast to a boot yesterday, and my plantar fascia was feeling super tight (cast was a slacker angle). I just spent 10 minutes rolling my foot on a tennis ball, and it helped tremendously. I do that regularly when I'm healthy, but it was really noticeable this time.
    How long were you in the Cast? I didnt have surgery but was casted for 6 weeks and in the boot for another 4 weeks. Been walking out of the boot for 3 weeks tommorrow.

Jabert

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Only had a cast for 8 days, but was in a dressing before that (after surgery). I have a month left in the boot. Are you progressing well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Only had a cast for 8 days, but was in a dressing before that (after surgery). I have a month left in the boot. Are you progressing well?
    Pretty good I guess. Gotta buddy who is a PT and he is helping me at my house. Day by day Bro... Every day I am a little less swollen. I broke my right ankle, so doing the peg leg. Forcing the big toe inward when I walk. Stretching in the pool in the AM. Doing ankle raises and mobility stretches while I work at my desk. At night I do resistance band stretching excercises while I watch the tube. Do that for at least an hour. Then ice and heat.

I have a couple of buddies who have had similar ankle injuries. One broken with surgery and another with just torn tendons and ligs. They say I am looking better each day as they have been thru this crap before. My goal is to be on the bike by Sept 1. Gonna do road work to my office to start and take it from there. I live in PHX so I want to be ready for the winter riding Season.....

Jabert

mtbr member
    I rode the 10 or 12 miles to work yesterday. I found the biggest challenge was going downhill, especially a tight turn on a 10% grade and then off-road, on a (slightly) challenging but steep downhill trail. It was 99% psychological, but absolutely real. I am now wondering if I need psychotherapy instead of physical therapy. It has been 7 months now.

mtbr member
    I just spent 10 minutes rolling my foot on a tennis ball, and it helped tremendously. I do that regularly when I'm healthy, but it was really noticeable this time.
    This is huge. Keep doing it. The sooner you can get full range of motion, the better your recovery will be.

mtbr member
    My P.T. suggested I revisit my quack and ask about the possibility of having additional surgery.

I think I would rather thread a treble fish-hook through my eye-ball and staple my tongue to the redwood deck that I slipped and broke my ankle on using a croquet hoop and mallet.

Perhaps it is now time for DIY physical therapy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    My P.T. suggested I revisit my quack and ask about the possibility of having additional surgery.

I think I would rather thread a treble fish-hook through my eye-ball and staple my tongue to the redwood deck that I slipped and broke my ankle on using a croquet hoop and mallet.

Perhaps it is now time for DIY physical therapy.
    I had a Triple Arthrodesis done on each foot when I was a kid. Slightly club footed. The second foot didn't turn out so well. The Dr gave us the option but didn't get it corrected. 32 years later and it got to the point I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I'm recovering from having the joints broken back open and reset properly with 2 plates in the front of the foot and 2 scews throught the heel. Had to also cut the bones over the ankle to realign the joint 20 degrees (2 more plates). I was using a peddle extension and even with that some of the newer cranks wouldn't work. If it's gona take more work, better now then later. Just sayin.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    I had a Triple Arthrodesis done on each foot when I was a kid. Slightly club footed. The second foot didn't turn out so well. The Dr gave us the option but didn't get it corrected. 32 years later and it got to the point I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I'm recovering from having the joints broken back open and reset properly with 2 plates in the front of the foot and 2 scews throught the heel. Had to also cut the bones over the ankle to realign the joint 20 degrees (2 more plates). I was using a peddle extension and even with that some of the newer cranks wouldn't work. If it's gona take more work, better now then later. Just sayin.
    Gnarly! Can you post up how your recovery goes, and maybe some x-rays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Just to clarify, in my case, there is nothing going wrong to correct.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I will see if I can post a pix tomorrow. A total of 4 plates and 23 screws... First op was about May 23rd and the second was the end of June. I just got the cast off Monday and am in a boot for 4 weeks gradually putting weight on the foot. Started PT too. I work 12 hr swing shifts and started back on light duty. Long night and of course I spent too much time up and about. Foot swelled like a stuffed pig. Tonight less mobile and an ice pack along with laying on the carpet with the foot elevated every 3ish hrs for about 15 minutes. Before I elevated, I would do a few minutes of PT work.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    I will see if I can post a pix tomorrow. A total of 4 plates and 23 screws... First op was about May 23rd and the second was the end of June. I just got the cast off Monday and am in a boot for 4 weeks gradually putting weight on the foot. Started PT too. I work 12 hr swing shifts and started back on light duty. Long night and of course I spent too much time up and about. Foot swelled like a stuffed pig. Tonight less mobile and an ice pack along with laying on the carpet with the foot elevated every 3ish hrs for about 15 minutes. Before I elevated, I would do a few minutes of PT work.

Yikes bro... I have been out of the boot for 4 weeks now. Been walking in Tennis shoes at work. Doing stretching bands for PT at home. Starting to walk straight and the swelling is almost gone. My foot is starting to look like my old foot again! Just got done mopping the floor in my house!

Hang tough bro. My foot did the same thing in the boot. I was also in it for 4 weeks after 6 weeks in a cast.

Jabert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I had a very similar break.....but I got a 2 plates/14 screws on both bones.

Happy F**kin' New Year-Palm Canyon

The pain goes away after a while. It will still get swollen for some time.

I went straight back to riding SPD's.....took a little while to get the twisting action back into the joint. 3 years later, it's not a problem. I skipped the PT and just started walking and riding.
    Man I feel lucky! I only have 3 screws and one plate but it took 2 surgeries (for now). No rehab, doc said just start walking on it! After the dam boot came off it took me a few weeks to even try to put any weight on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    ^^^^This:

My Ortho just about guaranteed that I would have eventually get arthritis in my ankle when I got older......but I didn't expect it to flare up only 3 years later.

Granted, when my ankle was broken, I also dislocated the foot back nearly 3/4"....so the tendons and ligaments got stretched out and I damaged the cartlidge in the joint pretty bad.

I now know when the weather is gonna change....my ankle tells me so.
    My biggest problem is with arthritis, some days I limp on the ankle until it loosens up. I slipped on some ice and fall backward onto my left ankle and when I got up, my foot was rotated 90 counterclockwise. The tendons and ligaments was messed up real bad and it took me over a year before things got better. I rushed my recover after my first surgery and that's why I had to have the 2nd and maybe why 4 years later still might have to have another surgery!!! DON'T RUSH YOUR RECOVER, and don't try to rehab yourself. I should have not listen to my doctor and "just walk on it", it's changed my life and I thought (at the time) every thing is OK. If your young, you don't know the problems you'll face down the road.

Go to run, I think the weather is going to change. lol

mtbr member
    I somehow got lucky and didn't have to teach between January and the last week of March, and then only a small graduate course where I didn't have to do much except show up and turn on a projector for 12 PhD students (not very needy types). There is no possible way I could have gone right back to work. I couldn't even leave the bedroom for 10 days. My research took a big hit, however.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK, so my buddy from work brought me a floor pedal machine for me at my desk while I work..... gonna do this for couple of days, actually started this morning. I think I might be back on the bike here in a couple of days. Gonna try toe clips vs my spd shoes to start and see how it goes. Maybe around the block this evening for a trial run.

Jabert

mtbr member
    May 2006

Back in The Saddle.....

Spun the bike tonight in front of the house for about an 15 minutes. Felt better than walking! So the road work starts in the morning! To the office and home should be about 10 miles a day, with a little climbing involved! Going with toe clips and tennis shoes for a while then going back to spd clipless on Sept 1!

Jabert

mtbr member

Road to Recovery

Ride trainer one week after ankle surgery.

Ride around neighborhood 4 weeks after surgery.

First XC ride on trails 5 weeks after surgery.

Back to normal activities 12 weeks after surgery.

You may want to read my blog on Road to recovery.

Hope it helps! Speedy recovery mate

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post

Nice!

No surgery here. 6 weeks cast, 4 weeks boot.... 4 weeks off boot and now on the bike! 4 miles this morning to work, less than 20 minutes! No Problem!

Jabert

mtbr member

This does make me wonder if we take a too conservative approach in this country (US). My doc mentioned in Europe I probably wouldn't have a cast. I had it splinted for 10 days after surgery (two incisions), then three weeks in a cast, and an additional four weeks in a boot brace that really made it impossible for me to re-learn to walk. I was told not to put any weight on it for the first month, for fear of re-injury. It does take 6 weeks (min) for the bone to heal, fwiw. Your incision looks better at two weeks than my larger one at 7.5 months.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This does make me wonder if we take a too conservative approach in this country (US). My doc mentioned in Europe I probably wouldn't have a cast. I had it splinted for 10 days after surgery (two incisions), then three weeks in a cast, and an additional four weeks in a boot brace that really made it impossible for me to re-learn to walk. I was told not to put any weight on it for the first month, for fear of re-injury. It does take 6 weeks (min) for the bone to heal, fwiw. Your incision looks better at two weeks than my larger one at 7.5 months.
    My concern also Scott. I rode 10 miles this morning before work, and when I got to work I am still doing the peg leg, but not as drastic as yesterday... Gonna force my right foot "toe in" until I walk straight again I guess. My doc said the best PT I can do is the road miles. I have not been on my bike since late April and now in the last 2 days have done 20 miles. By Sept will be back back to 100 miles plus per week and hope that everything straighten's out walking wise. And I didnt have surgery, so my initial healing process required the full 10 weeks of cast/boot for the fibula to start meshing. I am pretty sure surgery shortens that initial healing process.....

Jabert

mtbr member
    Apparently, there are 2 school of thoughts. Some OS are in the opinion that exerting pressure will stimulate blood flow and increase healing process. Others take more conservative and safe approach. No right or wrong, depends on preference and circumstances. Whatever you do, as long as pain is tolerable it should be ok. I always believe this "you will lose it if you don't use it".

mtbr member
    The less conservative approach has you use it sooner, which is why I wonder if I would have benefited from that.

On the other hand, I broke both bones, which meant it wasn't at all weight-bearing, and I guess I broke it pretty badly -- they did emergency surgery on me New Years Day. I was also very paranoid about screwing it up and having to have a second operation, turned 50 a couple of months after the break, etc.

mtbr member
    So should I ride in Moab next week?

mtbr member
    Broken Ankle Advice.....-ming-ankle.jpg

Wgscott, the above x-ray belongs to my riding mate. He broke his ankle 3 weeks before I broke mine. His is worse, broke 2 bones and required external and internal fixations in 2 separate operations. He opted for aggressive approach as well, and healed really fast. He recently completed one of the most challenging MTB trails in Malaysia.

Broken Ankle Advice.....-chris-ankle.jpg

This is my x-ray. Broke fibula and ankle, not as bad but required surgery as the whole foot misaligned quite badly. I adopted aggressive approach as well. Mine was unionized in less than 12 weeks. So far, I have completed many trail rides, and planning for an overseas ride soon.

Whatever you do, stay safe and ride within your limit. Avoid aggressive jumps and drop. Choose your lines. As long as the pain is tolerable, I think it should be fine.

mtbr member
    BTW Wgscott, I am only 4 years your junior. My ridding mate is equally young too. Age has no barrier, only mind has.

Warrior's Society
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ming ankle.jpg 
Views:	13044 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	824119

Wgscott, the above x-ray belongs to my riding mate. He broke his ankle 3 weeks before I broke mine. His is worse, broke 2 bones and required external and internal fixations in 2 separate operations. He opted for aggressive approach as well, and healed really fast. He recently completed one of the most challenging MTB trails in Malaysia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chris ankle.jpg 
Views:	3366 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	824120

This is my x-ray. Broke fibula and ankle, not as bad but required surgery as the whole foot misaligned quite badly. I adopted aggressive approach as well. Mine was unionized in less than 12 weeks. So far, I have completed many trail rides, and planning for an overseas ride soon.

Whatever you do, stay safe and ride within your limit. Avoid aggressive jumps and drop. Choose your lines. As long as the pain is tolerable, I think it should be fine.

YOu also broke the smaller of the 2 bones......it seems as though those who break that bone heal quicker and are back to everyday activities.

Those that break the larger bone tend to require more non-weight bearing time/surgery/recovery time.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast