Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Man, I just broke my ankle yesterday in a DH wreck. I was hoping you guys would say you were back on the bike within a week.
    How bad is the break? Cast? Surgery?

Jabert

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jabert View Post
    Yesterday, at the office I ditched the crutches and walked! My Knees hurt more
    than my ankle! Now I am walking around the house! What a milestone! I am beginning to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel.... Now going in the pool to rehab and move the ankle around for an hour.

Jabert

So, been walking in the boot for a week now, no crutches. Can stand in the shower and in the pool on the foot. Still tender, not body weight, but can definatly balance on it. Go see the Doc on Friday for Xray and next steps...

What should I expect? Ankle Brace? Stay on the boot for a while? Gonna ask him about PT and when I can start that process..

Jabert

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    How bad is the break? Cast? Surgery?

Jabert
    Pretty clean. Original ortho said no surgery, but I wasn't too comfortable with some of his info. Got a second opinion today, and I'm getting a plate and 6 screws on Friday. Same recovery time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    May 2006

No Mo Boot!

So saw the Ortho Doc yesterday and he took my final pics... Said looks good and no more boot! Start using Tennis shoes, maybe a brace, and start PT. He said as soon as Aug 1 I should be able to start back on bike, just road work for a while and see how it goes. Ankle is still stiff, but can walk barefoot and with Teva's and sneakers is much easier. So my goal is to stretch like crazy for the next 2 weeks and start commuting to work in August. Hopefully I can get some AZ Trail in Flagstaff in by Sept or Oct.

Now out to the pool for heal stretching for an hour!

Jabert

mtbr member
    I broke mine on Jan 1st of this year.

Broken Ankle Advice.....-ankle_screwed.jpg

I started getting back on the bike in March while still on crutches -- on a fluid trainer. I'm still in PT 6.5 months later and now riding 10 or 12 miles on hilly roads but in the lowest gears. I quit PT for a month after I started walking, decided I could rehab on my own, but had to go back. I'm paying out of pocket now.

It still hurts a lot to stand up on the pedals or to walk on uneven surfaces. A gift that just keeps on giving.

Also, I used to ride with SPDs. I got a pair of high-top Impact 5-10s and flat pedals with a bunch of spikes on them. I don't know yet if that will be a permanent change.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    I broke mine on Jan 1st of this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankle_screwed.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	815854

I started getting back on the bike in March while still on crutches -- on a fluid trainer. I'm still in PT 6.5 months later and now riding 10 or 12 miles on hilly roads but in the lowest gears. I quit PT for a month after I started walking, decided I could rehab on my own, but had to go back. I'm paying out of pocket now.

It still hurts a lot to stand up on the pedals or to walk on uneven surfaces. A gift that just keeps on giving.

Also, I used to ride with SPDs. I got a pair of high-top Impact 5-10s and flat pedals with a bunch of spikes on them. I don't know yet if that will be a permanent change.

I had a very similar break.....but I got a 2 plates/14 screws on both bones.

Happy F**kin' New Year-Palm Canyon

The pain goes away after a while. It will still get swollen for some time.

I went straight back to riding SPD's.....took a little while to get the twisting action back into the joint. 3 years later, it's not a problem. I skipped the PT and just started walking and riding.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    That definitely looks worse than mine. Congratulations.

What is it with New Year's breaks?

(I was knocked over while barefoot on ice by the pup in the avatar and her brother, just getting out of the hot tub following my annual bath and looking forward to a peaceful morning ride.)

Glad to hear you can ride with SPDs. Did they contribute to the injury?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I got off without surgery. My doc said it was a good call to just cast it up for 6 weeks. After looking at the pics yesterday, he was even more confident in his call. Said in 3 months I will be back to my 150 mile's/week again no problem.. So I got lucky. Bones are fusing and placed well. The swelling is still too much to put my spd biking shoes on, so I might do the flat pedal/tennis shoe thing for a while like wgscott... I guess I will see how the swelling goes down for a couple of weeks.

Jabert

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any of you guys get a ankle brace? My doc said I might get one to help out with Stability. He said Aircast has some good braces for less than $50.

Jabert

Warrior's Society
    That definitely looks worse than mine. Congratulations.

What is it with New Year's breaks?

(I was knocked over while barefoot on ice by the pup in the avatar and her brother, just getting out of the hot tub following my annual bath and looking forward to a peaceful morning ride.)

Glad to hear you can ride with SPDs. Did they contribute to the injury?

I was clipped in when the injury occurred. Don't know if they were the cause or a contribution.

Warrior's Society
    Any of you guys get a ankle brace? My doc said I might get one to help out with Stability. He said Aircast has some good braces for less than $50.

Jabert

Never needed a brace.....just the act of walking and riding eventually strengthened the joint.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Never needed a brace.....just the act of walking and riding eventually strengthened the joint.
    Did your swelling go down after a while? I am still swelling pretty bad.

Jabert

mtbr member
    My ankle is still swollen almost 2 years after the break. It gets better every month but I think that it will take another year for the swelling to completely dissipate. Then again, I had surgery right after the break and a second surgery to have the hardware removed last December. Your swelling may go away sooner because you didn't have the additional surgical insults, but I'd still plan on some swelling for at least a year.

mtbr member
    My swelling took 5 months to go away.

I'm not using a brace, apart from the metal screwed into the bone. My quack said if he did his job correctly I would not need one. I spent a couple months walking in leather Asolo hiking boots.

The 5-10s I am biking with look like this:

Name:  837213214.jpeg
Views: 796
Size:  15.2 KB

I just turned 50 and am a bit of a wuss about this, so calibrate accordingly. I never had anything worse than a crown on a tooth before this.

Warrior's Society
    I had swelling issues for about 6 months after I became active again.

mtbr member
    Just some random thoughts for DIY physiotherapy:

Walking barefoot on sand at the beach really helped regain some mobility (and hurt like hell). My hiking boots eventually started inhibiting my recovery, so I switched to Ecco sandals (get something better than Tevas).

Stepping down from a step on the stairs leading with the non-injured foot is important.

Working on symmetric gait is more important than speed (and was why my quack sent me back to PT -- he said I was "walking like a pirate with a peg leg" and I couldn't afford a macaw). One crutch (or a cane) on the side opposite the injury can really help at first.

Working the ankle with a "wobble board" (you could put a half tennis ball on the underside of a round cutting board) really helps with gaining strength and mobility.

Re-learning to balance on the injured leg is very important (and for me really hard).

Realize your good leg also atrophies when you are on crutches. You need to work it out too.

Every day you don't do all the tedious stretching and excersizes sets you back several days. I keep learning this the hard way. Don't let it happen to you.

Say no to people. The world really doesn't need you that badly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK, so last night after work my ankle was very swollen.. Iced it most the evening and went to bed. Woke up, all swelling down? Both right and left ankle look identical in size. My buddy at work broke his ankle and had surgery. He said this should be the case for 2-3 weeks, each day getting a little better, less sore, more movement. Doc said last friday same thing. Should I do my stretching multiple times a day? In the AM and at Night? I found a bunch of home PT on youtube, so I will start that tonight. Also
    doing calve stretches in the pool in the evening.

Jabert

mtbr member
    Elevation is probably the single most important thing to do when it swells. I actually hate icing it, so didn't do that enough, but you can do both simultaneously. Swelling like that, in my experience, is normal and will be the case for 2 or 3 months. Rehab in the pool would be ideal. I only did it once, but it really helped.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK.. got most of range of motion back with stiffness. Still walking peg-legged but
    can move pretty well. So I got some stretching bands from my friend. On line, I found a bunch of resistance stretching to work the muscle's, tendons, and lig's. So that starts today.. Anyone do these type's of stretching with resistance for rehab? I have a bunch of different tubular bands measured in LBS? 5, 7, 13, 19, and 23 lbs
    bands. Do I start with the weak or strong bands 1st?

Jabert

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    In general, you start with the lightest/easiest bands first.

mtbr member
    Start with the weakest, and move up. Do it several times a day. Practice stepping down stairs leading with the good foot, as soon as you can. I still have trouble with that.

Consider going to a physical therapist, even if you have to pay out of pocket. That is what I am doing now (the new place isn't covered my shitty HMO). It was $100 for the first evaluation and then $75 per session after that. Even if you only go once or twice, it probably would be worth the money. They can help you identify where your deficits are and how to work on them.

If you can find a stable trainer, try standing up on the bike pedals when you pedal. I can now do it, almost 7 months after the injury.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Start with the weakest, and move up. Do it several times a day. Practice stepping down stairs leading with the good foot, as soon as you can. I still have trouble with that.

Consider going to a physical therapist, even if you have to pay out of pocket. That is what I am doing now (the new place isn't covered my shitty HMO). It was $100 for the first evaluation and then $75 per session after that. Even if you only go once or twice, it probably would be worth the money. They can help you identify where your deficits are and how to work on them.

If you can find a stable trainer, try standing up on the bike pedals when you pedal. I can now do it, almost 7 months after the injury.
    Yeah, I did some stiff bands the other night and my foot blew up and I had to Ice it. So I went down a few notches last night and it felt better, not so swollen. I think I will see a PT in August. I found a couple local clinics I might check out. Free Eval and all. Gotta good commisssion check to help pay for it. No insurance so the last 3 months have hit my wallet hard. My Doc said I should try and ride my bike around the block on August 1. Said that will bethe best PT I can do for mobility and strenght. I have a Turner Dual so I
    can soften it up big time. I want to be riding
    to work by Sept 1 if possible. I am walking better each day and the ankle is not even swollen in the morning when I wake up. So day by day....

Jabert

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The one thing I always tell my patients post op is that with tissue recovery you have a window of efficacy that narrows rapidly after about 6-8 weeks post surgery. After that point the amount of time and energy needed to get a good return on a rehab investment increases. Wait too long and it'll take too long and cost more. My usual rehab for this condition consists with gentle manual therapy initially progressing to what the patient can tolerate. At this point in rehab I don't want to trigger pain in an already sensitive site creating a bigger issue. Balance exercises are important but not paramount but they do a great job working the muscles of the feet as well as the lower leg. They get extra credit for some "core" work ( hate that word). If you are weight bearing, take a walk and pay attention to the rhythm of your steps then how long you walk before it gets uncomfortable. Peg leg is a normal abnormal and is pretty easy to fix. The reality is when I see someone for an "ankle" I end up treating from the neck down about 80% and the neck up 20%. After a few months the mind makes issues harder than they need to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer View Post
    The one thing I always tell my patients post op is that with tissue recovery you have a window of efficacy that narrows rapidly after about 6-8 weeks post surgery. After that point the amount of time and energy needed to get a good return on a rehab investment increases. Wait too long and it'll take too long and cost more.
    I found this out the hard way.

"core" work ( hate that word).
    Me too. It seems almost a cliche -- everything requires "strengthening your core". My core is composed almost entirely of adipose tissue.

80% and the neck up 20%. After a few months the mind makes issues harder than they need to be.
    For me, it is probably 20%/80%. My quack said it was the scar tissue that had accumulated between my ears.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Went from a cast to a boot yesterday, and my plantar fascia was feeling super tight (cast was a slacker angle). I just spent 10 minutes rolling my foot on a tennis ball, and it helped tremendously. I do that regularly when I'm healthy, but it was really noticeable this time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast