mtbr member

Broke my shoulder...literally. Anyone done a dislocation/Hill Sachs Lesion?

Hit an Aspen with my shoulder at high speed, followed by a dislocation. Last run, the last day, so the timing wasn't terrible.

Doctors say I need surgery to repair a broken tip of the glenoid, which is the bone opposite the ball head of the humerous. Anyone who has done this is very familiar with it, I'm sure. Two surgeries are being recommend. One is arthroscopic, possibly "stitching" the glenoid back together, providing the bones are in good enough shape.

The other is far more invasive, but sturdy, and that's called a Laterjet Procedure. It involves cutting a bone in the shoulder, moving it over to the glenoid, and screwing it in to compensate for the broken bone.

Right now, it does't look like there's much soft tissue damage, so that's good. Or should I say, none can be repaired.

Anyone have experience with these procedures?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That's rough man. I did the opposite 3 months ago and broke the humorous at the ball head. Invasive surgery with a plate and 8 screws and a neato scar for my troubles. If I were you I would Google and research both and find an Ortho you trust and go from there. Do the surgery that will cause the least amount of issues later. If you can go with the orthoscopic and the rehab and strengthen the shoulder over time Id go that route even if it means being off the bike for an extended period of time. Good luck..

mtbr member
    Yeah, I had to go with another doctor because of insurance, but he recommended a less invasive approach, and the bone chunk that broke off is big enough to screw back back on, so there ya go. Six months of rehab and I can ride again, which can't come soon enough, I'm jonzing, bad.