mtbr member

Breathing/stamina issues = lung cancer

I wanted to post this with the hope of sparing others the nightmare scenario I encountered. Sorry if this ends up being long-winded. Yes, pun intended. I ran a marathon in the fall of 2010, very fit but had a very scary cramping episode around mile 23 which forced me to walk last few miles of the race. chalked it up to dehydration/ electrolite imbalance. Within several weeksI began to notice restriction in my breathing. when I tried to resume training I found it difficult to run more than 10 minutes continiously without walking. The symptoms worsened as the weeks went by and I became concerned and saw my doctor. We did chest x-ray, bloodwork for allergies, and asthma testing/ lung function test with a pulmonologist. All tests normal. By now I had put on some weight which I do very easily and was having trouble even walking up 1 flight of stairs. I made the mistake of mentioning the cramping episode to the pulmonologist and he imediately pegged me as someone who just had a bad race and needed to " walk off the extra weight " . I know my lungs. I knew something was wrong but could not get anyone to take me seriously enough to give me a bronchscopy or a ct scan.
    This situation went on for many months with my breathing deteriorating, my work suffering and my wife getting very scared.Then it happened. I began to cough up blood. This got me an immediate scan, bronchoscopy and a trip to Brigham & Womans hospital in Boston for what is call a clamshell thoracotomy with sleeve resection to remove the large tumor blocking off the right side of my lungs. I cant heap enough praise on the folks ther and im happy to say I have made a full recovery with 100% lung function.
    i hope this post finds anyone dealing with a similar situation. The doctors used to call the tumors Carcinoid and now call it N.E.T for neuro-endocrine tumor. luckily no chemo or radiation needed in my case and the prognosis is good with very low rate of recurrance. Please dont assume EIA or allergies. Sometimes it IS more serious, like cardiac or cancer and the only way to know for sure is to have competant medical

mtbr member
    Oops tablet keyboard is the worst.Cut me off at the end. Anyway, get checked out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    dude, thanks for posting this and super glad you're OK!
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    thanks jochribs. I appreciate that. Feels really good now to grind out a climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Glad you made a full recovery. Cancer is hell for the patient and their loved ones. GOD bless.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Your screen name is definitely fitting.

Good to see you got that taken care of and are up and running again, so to speak.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kindness everyone, and the screen name came from this experience. I just felt like I should spread the word about this type of cancer as I had never even heard of it before and never found any mention of it while Googling my symptoms to try to self diagnose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Don't mention it man, and thanks for looking out for others too!
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing!