MTB B'dos

Brain Phart - thumb in spokes

Man, sometimes you just can't figure out exactly WTF went through your mind when you did something this stupid and you knew it exactly 1 mili-second before it happened.

Well I only have 1 speed sensor for my Polar S725 so I switch it between my road and MTB. So I'm on the road bike and going to do intervals (trainings going really BTW, got in good base miles just about to start the hadr training, intervals etc) and damn sensor isn't on tight and is blowing away from the wheel and not registering speed. So I stop the bike and fix it, get back up to speed and again it does it, stop again.

Well it does it twice more and I stop once more then the 2nd time I reach down to just nudge the sensor back towards the wheel and as my hand is inches away and no turning back the alarm goes off, but to late and my thumb has been sucked into the spokes. I manage to not get it fully trapped, just rubbed and it doesn't feel like nothing much happened just got a "slap on the wrist for being stupid" well I lift the hand up and it's a little bit worse than it feels, plus it's the thumb I tore ligaments in year before that gives me trouble and it's injured it again.

SO guess I'm not doing any off-road for a while and should prob be able to at least get on the road bike fairly soon - will know later today I guess when I go to the Doc. I've attached a pic, not the nicest looking thing. I did go up by my bro and have him pul the skin back and wash it out with Detol and put anti-biotic power in it, but he says I need to get the skincut off as it won't heal back - Opinions??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ouch that going to be 6 to 8 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ahhhh Man--- Go to the DOC already. I have no advice but to tell you, I would have had it looked at "right away." How is the condition of your nail? Get well soon!

MTB B'dos

Nah, it's not too bad.

I went to the Doc and the surgeon in the practice said he'd leave it and see if it "takes". So they just cleaned it and dressed it and sent me for some ati-biotics. Have to go back Monday for them to take a look. Once it was cleaned up it really didn't look as bad as with the blood all about and oosing. The nail is fine, only got a very slight split, some how I manage to react fast enough to only have it "grate" along the spokes and not really get caught inside or else I think it would be broken or much worse. As is it's just roughed up quite bad at the joints (reinjured the old injruy I had) and will have to be careful while the actual skin heals, but I'm hoping to be back on the road bike next week - wanted to go tomorrow, but my doc said no way.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have done similar tho not as bad.

To get it to take means you can't move it at all there might be only one tiny blood supply to the flap and if you lose that you lose the flap.

Take it real easy, don't even use that hand at all. If you have to put it in a sling so you don't have another brain phart....