mtbr member

Bonking in the first mile...

The last few rides have found myself feeling like I'm about to pass out and shaking like my grandfather used to... all within the first mile or so. After I take a break, let the shakes work themselves out and do some deep breathing, I'm usually good-to-go and feel pretty strong the rest of the ride - usually averaging 10 to 15 miles per ride.

I've been riding - week in, week out - for a little over 20 years (started when I was 15 ). I'm on the verge of 36 and wondering what in the hell is wrong with me. Especially after a stellar riding season where I was able to advance to middle-ring status on a good percentage of the trails I ride here on Colorado's Front Range.

I realize I'm not 25 anymore so I take extra care before the ride to stretch out, warm up and make sure I'm ready to rock.

Thoughts?

AKA Dr.Nob
    When you start exercising your body takes about 20 minutes to adjust to the needs of going hard. So when you first get on the bike your body is busy digesting your lunch and what ever else. After a bit of time it starts to divert blood to your lungs and muscles, providing both fuel and oxygen to the muscle fibers.

You will find people complaining about this in just about any cardio sport.

If you are worried about it I would go to your doctor just to make sure your heart and lungs are working as they should.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds like overtraining symptoms, especially after a stellar year???

mtbr member

Time for a visit...

... to the doc. I've not been in a number of years. I'll take the advice here and go get a tune up.

mtbr member
    It takes me about 30-40 minutes to warm up now that I'm 36. If is start off too fast I'll blow up. Take it easy until you get your rhythm then drop the hammer. As long as I get a good warm up I have no problem hanging with the kids on the trail. Also don't forget carbs are your friend. Don't skimp on the pasta!