mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bike geometry = sore low back

Hey all,

Just a quick post: I have been suffering low back pain on my left side (strained feeling, likely muscular and tendon I think but, cannot i.d. the muscle) which I think is due to a poor mtbike geometry set up. I have a yoga teacher girl friend and was consistently taking classes improving my flexibility but also unleashing deep and hidden muscle tightness until the injury. Before injuring I was riding everyday for 1+ hours before work and taking quite a beating on my new bike (first full suspension).

My question is this has anyone had mild low back pain that they were able to correct with bike geometry and if so, how???? Thanks!

Team Chilidog!
    Three things:
    1. Stretch
    2. Work on core muscles
    3. If it's really the geometry, it's too long in the top tube.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had lower back pain first couple times I rode my Dirt jumper then it stopped happening

mtbr member
    I have a bike that has an adjustable eTT (Uzzi SLX) by moving the seat back 1/2 inch. When the bike is in this position I cannot ride for more than an hour before getting a lower back pain as you describe. IMO its because it puts my hips too far back of the BB.

YMMV.

Regards,
    Marc
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I suffer from semi-chronic lower back pain, Sciatic Nerve problem.
    I have been riding a older hard tail Specialized Rock Hopper.
    Since I quit smoking and lost 20 pounds I have been riding a lot more.
    I am considering getting a new FS bike (the wife has given me the green light). My LBS has a 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert they will sell me for ~ $2100-2200
    I am 42, 6'-3" and 265 on my way down to 225
    While I also do my stretching and core training how much will a FS help with back pain and strain?
    I do lots of hill training both road and trail and "lite" down hill for the pay off and fun after climbing

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Get a proper bike fitting, please.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

recovering roadie
    At that height, you may find a 29er to be of benefit.

I have a back problem and have ridden a 29er recently - and found it the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I, too, am 6'3" - and I have a 29er on order.

Also, I find that the road bike can be worse for my back than mtn, for a variety of reasons. Consider how much you are bent over. Maybe just quit road biking for a bit and see if it helps. I ended up getting a more upright fitting road bike, and I still limit my time on it.

Good luck...

.. and do get that proper bike fitting.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Seconding the 29er. I am far more comfortable on my SIR9 and RIP9 than I was on my Commencal Meta 5.20. I also found a Misfit diSSent with Fubars extremely comfortable when I had a herniated disc.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Low cadence increases my lower back pain problems.

High cadence helps, seems like there is less stress.

Also try moving the seat forward a tad.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got an actual bike fit done correctly, went to a small frame, it's also set up less aggressively. Almost no back pain now. I also find if I spin on the hills more there is almost no pain at all. If I try to use a bigger gear I start to feel that pain in the lower right back, sciactic nerve stuff.

Also, stretching out the hamstrings has been an improvement. It is now so much fun to ride pain free.

ol' dusty lungs
    stem/bars too low or top tube/stem too long... you're probably too stretched out/bent over. have a professional bike fit done.