mtbr member

Bike + Cell phone =

...broken leg!

Let this be a warning to you... I had just left the house, out for a combination road and dirt ride on the cyclocross bike. I was only about a mile from home when my phone rang. Without paying any attention to my surroundings, I grabbed the phone out of my jersey pocket and took a look to see who was calling. When I looked up from the phone, I saw I was headed straight for a steel pole next to a railway crossing. With one hand on the phone, and the other on the bar tops, neither hand could reach the brakes. Before I could take evasive action, I smacked right into the pole, at just under 20 MPH.

My handlebars and knee took the brunt of the impact, breaking my tibia just below the knee. X-rays and CT scan revealed an upside down T shaped crack in the tibia, just below the tibial plateau, with a 5-6 MM offest.

Interestingly, my ortho has said that the offset is in a position that will heal without surgery. I need a few more x-rays to make sure the bone doesn't shift, if it does it will need surgery. For now I am in a brace, and will be off the leg for a couple months.

Anyone else have any experience with this kind of injury, and recovery? I can't believe I am going to be facing this much time off the bike, major bummer. But, I guess I will just be thankful it's not worse, and look forward to recovery...

And if your cell phone rings, pull over!!

mtbr member
    sorry to hear about what happened. Yeah, a few months sounds normal. I've been out for a month due to a broken wrist. Injuries are a *****! Just make sure you take care of your leg and don't try to rush it too much. Go buy an xbox 360 like I did to pass the time until you're back on the bike