mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Which are the best pedals knees friendly?

Hi.

I want to change my actual pedals, XTR, and try another brand that is better for my knees.

Which one do you think is the best?

cheers

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Why?

I have bad knees and have used Speedplay Frogs, the old Time ATAC and now the XTR. IMHO the XTR's rule. I get good float, easy release (it is adjustable) and good foot support.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The reason for the change is to try something different, but it has to be good for my knees.

AKA Dr.Nob
    I Think;

TIME ATAK's have more float than Shimano's.

I run both (on different bikes, oddly enough) and the TIMEs allow a bit more movement of the feet.

They're certainally not cheap.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    I have knee issues and went to Time ATAC and love them. Lots of float without feeling like your legs are not doing anything. Awesome mud clearence also.

http://matthewspak.blogspot.com/

Dirt Abuser
    For XC stuff, check out the Crank Brothers Candy SL's...

mtbr member
    crank brothers egg beaters SL are my new favorite for float but my old time atac's never bugged my nees
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart

Birthday Collector
    If you have not already made your move, I will also suggest the Crank Bros pedals. I have been using the Mallets and the Candys on all of my bikes - no knee problems at all and my knees are pretty eff'd up. Once in a while I get a touch of knee pain on a steep climb on my 29'er SS, but that is a load problem - not pedal. I rode Time Atacs, and they worked pretty good too - about the same for float and swivel on the cleat - but the Crank Bros are easier to enter into (esp the Mallets) and the Candy are not much off of that. I don't like the pure minimalist Egg Beater only - but they are light! I like a pedal I can be clipped out of and still have something to push on to pedal - I am a trail rider more than anything. If I had a race bike, I might put the Egg Beater standard style on it. Try some of the light Candy models. If you want to test the brand, the Smarty can be found for $40 or so - ride 'em and if you think you like them the Candy are even better.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Iīm still havenīt decided anything, but I was thinking about the Candys. I like its larger platform and still is a small pedal and if it they have the right amount of float I think they could be the winner.

banned
    Time ATAC's. Good float and very rugged

mtbr member
    crank bros working well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The thing that i find very nice with CB is that you canc order EVERY part of your pedal from them or from your local distributor. They are also very easy to work with, and have a pretty well sealed. They are also LIGHT and not clog up in mud.

I like them in every possible way.

mtbr member
    Have you thought about changing your shoes instead of your pedals?? I too have problems with my knees while riding. I found Specialized's BG line of shoes, which were specifically designed to address problems with knees, completely eliminated my knee pain. Check them out. It is at least worth a look.