Thread: Bad shoulders

mtbr member

Bad shoulders

My shoulders are shot. Left one especially. Basically feels like my joint is loose. My arm comes out of socket very easily. Wake up at night to excruciating pain because my arm has popped out from rolling over. So when I ride sometimes all it takes is a bump in the trail to set it off. Comes out pretty much every crash. So was curious if anybody out there had any ideas on how to remedy this. Already have evs shoulder braces that help, but don't always prevent it. Any thoughts ideas are welcome. Thx

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    You can try to do some rotator cuff strengthening and scapular stabilization exercises, but if you really have dislocated your shoulder enough times that you are doing it when you sleep you may need a stabilization surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    You can try to do some rotator cuff strengthening and scapular stabilization exercises, but if you really have dislocated your shoulder enough times that you are doing it when you sleep you will need a stabilization surgery.
    Fixed it for ya, .

Shoulder exercises are a good choice if you've suffered a single dislocation, but once it becomes recurrent, your options for stabilizing your shoulder effectively becomes surgery, or living with instability through more effective risk management.

I lived with recurrent dislocations for seven years before finally getting it taken care of properly through scope surgery for a torn labrum this past May. I am starting to ease back into singletrack riding right now and I can say 100% that I do not regret the decision to have the surgery done. If you have the means (insurance, and ability to take the time needed to allow your shoulder to heal), it should be a no-brainer.

If you can't commit to the time off or lack insurance, exercising the shoulder can help, but understand that it is like duct-taping something. It may work for a time, but the "fix" has limits and should not be entirely trusted.
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll with Manitou Minute Super 140mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    my buddy had the surgery yet never followed up with completing his physical therapy. His shoulder is popping out of socket again and they are saying he will need surgery again. He regrets not completing the therapy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I lived for years with a shoulder that would dislocate very easily

I'm going to agree with most of what has been written above.

My experience is pretty similar to BigAir's. PT friend said that my shoulder was toast and there was nothing she could do until the shoulder was stable. Doc easily confirmed that my shoulder was toast, and scheduled surgery.

Don't bother with surgery if you're not going to do the PT. My doc, and PT friend, beat that into my head at every opportunity before the operation. I was very diligent about getting all my exercises done and I had a complete recovery (until I destroyed the shoulder again in a ski wreck)

Surgeons tend to want to operate on everything, if you want to try and avoid surgery try going to a PT or non-surgical sports medicine doc first, if for no other reason than to get referrals.

Best of luck on a full recovery/solution.......

mtbr member
    Would like to say thank you everyone for the input and info. At this point in time I have started doing excersises. They seem to be helping as it doesn't seem to be coming out as frequently. Still feels lose and unstable but I'm going to give it a couple more months before I opt for surgery. I have a bit of a fear of going under the knife. I guess time will tell in the end.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Chamois Dropper
    My shoulders are pretty trashed from wrecking motorcycles in the 90s. Years of heavy work aggravated the problem. I would wake up in so much pain from sleeping wrong, I couldn't stand it.
    As others have said I would avoid surgery if possible. There are no guarantees. My wife is a PT and made me pull on rubber bands and all sorts of silly things, I couldn't understand how this would help as I was still ripping 100lb stuff around often at work, but the strengthening exercises and mobilization really helped. They still bother me some, but its a night and day difference from my pain level 5 years ago.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg