Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bad patient

642 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kafromet 
#1 ·
In addition to mountain biking (because one dangerous activity is never enough), I ride horses. I recently re-started jumping after a 9 year hiatus that was due to a back injury and fear. Last week, I fell off a horse because I was unbalanced over a fence and the horse galloped away. I felt ok when I landed, got back on and did it again, but the next day my neck was a little sore, but just like a little whiplash so I ignored it. I biked a few more times during the week and it was getting better. I raced on Sunday and on Monday mid-morning I started to get really bad neck pain. I took some advil last night, went to bed early, and now it's 4am and I'm in a ton of pain.

1. Do I go to the doctor?
2. Stick it out and hope it gets better?
3. I have another race on Saturday and I *really* want to go... can't I just wait until next week to go to the doctor?

I think I know what the right answer is, but I don't like it very much! What if the doctor tells me I can't bike, ride horses, or anything for a while and I start eating a lot and turn into a big, fat, lazy bum?

#3 ·
creseis said:
I think I know what the right answer is, but I don't like it very much!
You're damn right you do, get to the doc.;)

You were fine, then you were hurting a little, now you are in a lot of pain. If nothing else the doc should be able to provide more pain relief than OTC can give you. If it's something with your back or neck then ignoring it could result in a lot more long term trouble than having to sit out a few weeks/months, then having to sweat off the weight gain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.