Thread: Bad luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bad luck

I broke my right arm last Monday, that is the 4th broken arm I have had in 21/2 years. 3 of them were since August. FML

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I broke my right arm last Monday, that is the 4th broken arm I have had in 21/2 years. 3 of them were since August. FML
    It's more than bad luck, man, you're definitely doing something wrong. Or, you're trying to break your arms and you're doing something right.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    It's more than bad luck, man, you're definitely doing something wrong. Or, you're trying to break your arms and you're doing something right.
    I never broke a bone riding between 2003 and 2010 and then 1 arm in 2010 and both arms and one of them twice since August. I think it is just bad luck or I would have been breaking them since 2003.

The worse was the one in August it was my first xc ride after spending the summer riding in Whistler and I broke both arms while still on the bike. Just went over a small drop I have done 50 times ebfore and this time I landed a little farther down and my front tire landed into a rock maybe 4 inches high and did not roll over it, the bike just compressed and shot me off onto my back. If that is not just dumb luck I don't know what is!

Though I like your comment, maybe I will start telling people I am trying to break them and I am an expert! lol

Snap Crackle Pop
    Well, if you're like me..... ish happens. August 2009 was stress fractures in my left foot. NWB cast for 2 months, air cast boot for 3 months and $500 inserts which burned up along with the shoes they were in when putting them too close to a camp fire to dry out. It's still not right. Last September... casts on both arms for 6 weeks for recurring TFCC issues. I had treatment on both arms at seperate time in previous year, but this time they both got bad at once. After the PT was done for that, I was still in pain and a surgical consult ended up talking about doing ulnar shortening. I passed and left the office that day and started the journey into MTB. December 3rd and I take a spill breaking my scaphoid and dislocating my shoulder, which in turn tore the the rotator cuff and labrum. So, it's not just you.... stuff just happens sometimes. Good luck on your recovery and return to the bike... I can't wait for mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I never broke a bone riding between 2003 and 2010 and then 1 arm in 2010 and both arms and one of them twice since August. I think it is just bad luck or I would have been breaking them since 2003.
    Have you been breaking the arms at the same location each time?

If you're suddenly breaking bones regularly in crashes it could be that your bones have lost some density over time and are more brittle than they were? As you get older it seems to become increasingly easy to hurt yourself in what should just be routine falls.

It's something that might be worth looking into. Four breaks in close succession could be more than just bad luck.

Once Is Enough: A Guide to Preventing Future Fractures

I fractured my left femur last August in a crash. The fracture was at the same point it had broken before several years previously. Apparently the bone never fully healed from the first break and it also has osteoporosis issues now, increasing the likelihood of it breaking again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Have you been breaking the arms at the same location each time?

If you're suddenly breaking bones regularly in crashes it could be that your bones have lost some density over time and are more brittle than they were? As you get older it seems to become increasingly easy to hurt yourself in what should just be routine falls.

It's something that might be worth looking into. Four breaks in close succession could be more than just bad luck.

Once Is Enough: A Guide to Preventing Future Fractures

I fractured my left femur last August in a crash. The fracture was at the same point it had broken before several years previously. Apparently the bone never fully healed from the first break and it also has osteoporosis issues now, increasing the likelihood of it breaking again.
    The breaks have al been in different places. The first time I lost my front end in a large berm at Silver Star and fell down about 5 feet and landed on my side almost with m y arm under me and fractured 3 ribs and broke my scaphoid. Fairly hard slam into the ground so it was understandable. Actually everytime i broke something I can understand why the bone broke, it just was bad luck in the way I landed plus the lack of skill which first caused the crashes=/

mtbr member
    Crashing is part of mountain biking. It's always going to happen sometime. Falling off and breaking stuff is no good for progressing or improving skills though. I once met someone who claimed never to have fallen off a bike. Ever. He promptly fell off on the very next mountain bike club ride.

The two things I'd consider if it were me would be whether I was riding more difficult terrain and pushing harder than a few years ago, increasing the likelihood and consequences from any crashes. Would dialling it back a notch so you're riding closer to your comfort zone cut down on the injuries?

I'd also take a hard look at what is happening during the actual crash. If you can get yourself into the habit of automatically tuck and rolling as you come off the bike that goes a long way towards preventing injury. It's easier said than done however.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I do need to learn to tuck and roll, I always get my hands off the bars and out in front of me which explains why I keep injuring my palms and wrists.

I think the main issueis riding whistler on the big bike all summer I improved and should have toned it back for my first am ride last August, I am sure speed had a factor:/ oh well hopefully I will be gtg by April, I am off for two weeks as of the 29th of march.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    lmao.