troll

bad crash, busted new helmet

So, I had a bit of a humiliatingly bad crash earlier this week. The first one since I've gotten back into trail riding earlier this year. I was at a local park that has fairly relaxed, well-maintained trails. However, it was late in the day, and I was probably wearing sunglasses that were a bit too dark for the more wooded parts of the trail. A lot of ruts and wash-outs had been recently patched with loose gravel, and I came around a corner at speed, not seeing the gravel patch, and frankly ate sh*t in a dramatic way.

Aside from the normal trail rash on my knees, shoulders and elbows, I tore several significant gashes in my right elbow. I could tell it needed stitches, but there really wasn't any skin left to sew up. The folks at the UTC told me to keep the wound packed with silvadene and bandaged up for a few days (like you would treat a bad burn).

The worst part of this is, as I was loading up my bike to drive myself to the UTC - shaken up and bleeding like a stuck pig - I set my brand new POC helmet on top of my car and forgot about it... only to see it fly off the roof and get crunched by a car later on. Talk about having a bad night!

So, I'm not an aggressive rider by any means, and the only protection I usually ride with is a helmet and full-fingered gloves (which also got shredded in the crash, but saved my palms). Now I'm starting to rethink other items such as knee and elbow pads!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Elbow pads for sure. Knee pads not so much from my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    Elbow pads for sure. Knee pads not so much from my experience.
    The opposite is far more common.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sorry to hear about your bad day. Hopefully you heal up well, and fast.

I recently started wearing both knee and elbow pads. At first it took a little getting used to, but now they honestly don't bother me much at all.

The elbow pads never cause me any issues. The knee pads will occasionally slip down a little and need to be pulled up a hair. Some discomfort on back of knee on occasion as well, but nothing that is too bad for me at least. And of course if it's hot they can get very sweaty.

I enjoy the extra confidence and piece of mind I get by wearing them.