Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Back Pain and riding Posture

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hydrogeek 
#1 ·
Hi,

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I need some opinions.

When I ride hard or train hard for an up coming race (first one) I get lower back pain to the point where I want to get off of my bike and stretch a little & just plain walk around. This doesn’t happen when I take it easy riding with my wife.

My bike is set up nearly perfect and have my bar height on the conservative side in terms of height (even with my bars).

I was wondering if the seat height may contribute to my pain. I've got it set to obtain about a 25-30 leg angle, like is recommended. I feel comfortable with it; it has eliminated my knee pain, but hope not at the expense of back pain.

Also, I try to spin faster rather than push in a harder gear and concentrate on pushing with my quads and legs rather than my back. I try also to use my clipless shoes and pull on the peddle up stroke (new to clipless, novice at this). This method does help but I really have to concentrate on my legs to achieve this.

I notice any steep climbs are also a contributor to my pain.

Can anyone give me anymore advice?

I stretch and work my abs out daily.

I've only got about 400 miles in this year because of the weather; do you think I haven’t given my back a chance to build up and get in better shape? Is there a riding posture or techeque I'm missing?

Thanks for any input,

David

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had similar issues as well. No more than 5-10 minutes of hard riding and my lower back is in a complete knot. A lot of times I'll have to slowly stand up straight after getting off the bike...not exactly the kind of range of motion you want while riding. Anyway, I've found the following to be very helpful in terms of how you should be positioned on the bike (Lee knows his stuff), as well as James Wilson's stretching/conditioning information at the bottom

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/braaaping-and-back-pain.html

#3 ·
ebarker9 said:
I've had similar issues as well. No more than 5-10 minutes of hard riding and my lower back is in a complete knot. A lot of times I'll have to slowly stand up straight after getting off the bike...not exactly the kind of range of motion you want while riding. Anyway, I've found the following to be very helpful in terms of how you should be positioned on the bike (Lee knows his stuff), as well as James Wilson's stretching/conditioning information at the bottom

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/braaaping-and-back-pain.html
Acording to Lee,keeping your back inline with your pelvis, or it looks like keeping your back horizontal. That would mean a very low bar height and a very long stem Isn't this just the opposite for poeple with sensitive backs? Don't you want a more Upright riding position?

David :confused: :confused:

#4 ·
The diagram is showing the "attack position". The key is apparently to rotate the hips rather than bend the back...this is true regardless of your bar positioning. I agree that a really hunched over position like you're in the TDF peleton isn't ideal for people with back problems. If you look elsewhere on the site for pictures of people in the seated position, you'll find that they all tend to have relatively short stems and a more upright position.

#5 ·
I know you see this answer a lot but I'm going to give it anyway. You might want to see a chiropractor. If the bike is as perfect as you say, the posture of the ride might not be the problem. If you have some spinal segmental movement issues, the muscles of the back will spasm because of it. It may not happen when you ride light, because you don't need to use as many muscles to do so. When you ride rocky terrain you need to utilize your back and stomach more to control the bike. The same is with hard climbs, not to mention when you climb "hard" it may be due to the steepness of the climb. In that case your body position is different, and you use different muscles of the back to maintain and push. When it comes to the back, most problems are not just muscle related. They will involve the muscles, joints, and nerves exiting the spine.

#7 ·
This is strange, i found my lower back hurt when i started riding again. But nowadays its fine, except after a steep climb and then its killing me, but only for a minute or so.
Not sure if posture is your problem, i have to agree with mlepito on this one.
Lowering the seat will probably make it worse.

#8 ·
I use to have the same issue on climbs. I did three things that I think helped. One I added exercises to strengthen my lower back and my abs. I think that was the biggest help. Second, I switched to a bike with a more upright posture. I went from an older bike with 80mm forks and a flat bar to a bike with 100mm forks and a riser bar. Last, I lowered the position of my Camelback to sit close to my hips and rely more on the waist strap to carry the weight rather than my shoulders. I no longer get back pain on climbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.