mtbr member
    May 2005

Back pain to knee pain

I just figured out for the first time this year how to eliminate my lower back pain. Through core strengthening I was getting nowhere. Lower back pain, excruciating while climbing. I moved my saddle forward a quarter to a 1/2 inch forward and viola, no back pain whatsoever. The saddle height is also generously low, but I didn't really change that except for what the other adjustment did. Now though I have pain under the kneecap. I was so hampered by back pain that I could not even reach my max heartrate climbing. Now that I could put in a great effort with my legs did I stress the knee, (it's my post operative one from 5yrs. ago) so bad the first time or is it the new position? Can the knee adjust to the new position with time? Will ice and/or joint assisting medications help? I'm so dying to actually train hard for the first time this year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Moving the seat forward puts your legs under you more, so add a low seat and you get knee pain. I know you don't want to hear this, but your bike might not fit you. But here is a tip. Moving the seat forward allows you to sit up straighter because the bars are not at far forward. The downside is now you are too close to the BB. So move the seat back and get a shorter stem. This will bring the bars close and keep the seat back.