mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Back Issues, got MRI...

Hi, I used to XC race for a few years then stopped due to a leg fracture. I recovered well and rode intially (that was about 4 years ago_ I haven ridden much the past 2 years due to work and study but recently I started riding again (full susp.) gently. The other day I woke up and could barely walk I had intense deep pain in my right leg (I have fractures on my left leg) so it was odd. It was a deep pain like inside the bone. Anyway I managed for a few days then went to the doc and he refered me to get an MRi.

Mri says:

There is evidence of a right intraforaminal disc protrusion at L4-L5 level which appears to contact the right L4 root and is causing right neural foramen stenosis.

Everything else was normal no degeneration issues anywhere. No central canal stenosis anywhere, no disc bulges or disc protrusions.

Im going to the doc tomorrow but want to know what my hopes are. Will I be able to ride again XC racing, anyone here had similar issues?

I just got a new 07 top fuel that rode just 2-3 times before this happened (((

Thanks

Sorry for bad english its my second language.

donkey
    If nothing else, atleast you have nearly flawless english going for you. Am I to understand that the pain in your right leg may be the result of damage to your spinal cord?

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    If nothing else, atleast you have nearly flawless english going for you. Am I to understand that the pain in your right leg may be the result of damage to your spinal cord?
    The spinal cord ends well above L4-L5. It is impacting the nerve root and causing the pain in the leg. I have similar back issues and know of many other people who through stretching, physical therapy etc. have resolved all issues. I don't race (never did) but I still ride.

If it is really bad, your doc may recommend a spinal epidural which will help relieve the pressure off of the nerve and allow for you to start a proper rehabilitation regiment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you have to get the epiderols do not shy away if they only work for a month or two per shot. I have graduated to radial frequency treatments for my two herniated discs and hav gone 7 months from that treatment.

You should be able to get back riding but you must make sure you stretch before/after and might have to ice at times. It is something I have gotten used too the last year and a half

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I dont feel much pain if anything right now so the medication worked. I havent taken percocet for a day or so and feel fine. The other pills are working. All my muscles feel very very loose now . Im going to start physical therapy next week. Well see what happens, i want to ride!! Im prepared to go 3 weeks without riding but doing excersizes and therapy to give me more strength and hopefuly keep me injury free. First few weeks of riding im going to avoid bumpy trails and stay on paved bike path, there is a 6-7 mile circuit close to where I live im going to try that, its paved and smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Your back is going to tell you what you can do and how much it will handle. Make sure you listen to it as you will pay for it if you do not

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by skiierx
    Your back is going to tell you what you can do and how much it will handle. Make sure you listen to it as you will pay for it if you do not

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Doctors don't know it all

Be careful of taking what the doc says as gospel. I have been misdiagnosed many times. Doctors are usually not athletes and they jump to conclusions. I was diagnosed with a genetic hip defect and told to get a replacement. I found that stretching cured the problem after 14 months of going to different experts. I was also told to get a titanium jaw when I was 18 years old...cured by getting ultrasound treatments. I am also convinced that I could have avoided knee surgery with the proper stretching.

My suggestion- try yoga...It will help if not cure a lot of athletic problems.