Exploreur de Citée

New question here. To avoid stomach pain... Time recommendation before hitting the road?

Hi members... I been a hurry cycler who gets up late and eat breakfast 15 minutes before departing on my bike...

Just wondering, what is the best amount of time to rest after eating breakfast before hitting the pedals?

Am I doing something bad for my health? I get up at 7:30 AM, finish breakfast between 7:40 AM - 7:45 AM and hit the road at 8:00 AM.

Please tell me what is the minimum time of rest before I should get on my bike... Minutes please... Or even hours?

PS: Probably getting up earlier will be a good idea, but I still want your opinion about what is the minimum time I should spend after eating my ffod before geting on the bike.
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    if you get a stitch, give it another few minutes before you cycle generally speaking. you could have breakfast at 7:10, then lie in bed again (lying down aids digestion) so then you get the best of both worlds. it wont do any long term damage (or at least shouldnt) unless you are cycling hard for a long distance. I'm sure someone will say '1 hour' but really, as long as you arent getting pains you should be ok.

Exploreur de Citée

... and if we just ... Early sure the better...

Hummm.... For the moment no pain. But I will sure try to get up as early as I can next time.

Thanks for your opinion!

PS: If people has more to add, please don't hesitate...
    D.Xenotime

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

fooood

Hi Derwin. Eating and then riding shortly after is ok as long as you aren't pushing it too hard. If you were to race though you would probably end up sick. That's to say a really hard effort near your anaerobic threshold would cause nausea. If you want to ride really hard you would need near two hours after eating a light meal. Meat, milk products, and fatty foods need even more time. If you push it after eating too soon you will be able to taste it, so back off a little bit. People who go for long rides need fuel at some point so they eat energy bars, gels, or fruit while they ride. These digest fairly quickly so they don't cause too much stomach upset. If I go for a hard ride I will sometimes put simple sugars and some salt in my water which allows me to avoid the whole eating problem until I am done. I have been sick from pushing too hard after eating and it is not fun.

Drew (no jesting this time)

Exploreur de Citée

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dru
    Hi Derwin. Eating and then riding shortly after is ok as long as you aren't pushing it too hard. If you were to race though you would probably end up sick. That's to say a really hard effort near your anaerobic threshold would cause nausea. If you want to ride really hard you would need near two hours after eating a light meal. Meat, milk products, and fatty foods need even more time. If you push it after eating too soon you will be able to taste it, so back off a little bit. People who go for long rides need fuel at some point so they eat energy bars, gels, or fruit while they ride. These digest fairly quickly so they don't cause too much stomach upset. If I go for a hard ride I will sometimes put simple sugars and some salt in my water which allows me to avoid the whole eating problem until I am done. I have been sick from pushing too hard after eating and it is not fun.

Drew (no jesting this time)
    Thanks very much for your concern... But I'm not a pro... Just a week-end/every day rider. But I'm looking for a trail over the upcoming holiday...
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree with Drew....even when I do short 1-2 hour rides, I go on an empty stomach if it is in the morning, or don't eat for a few hours before if later in the day. Since I started doing this, my legs feel a lot more fresh and I don't get that heavy, dead feeling in them. Your body is using what is stored in your muscle glycogen for the first 60-90 minutes so eating breakfast really isn't doing anything for you. I always bring a carbohydrate sports drink with me though and start sipping to keep my blood sugar levels up to keep my energy level consistant. If you aren't hungry you could ride for roughly an hour with water and electrolytes. Hope that helps! I do know that everyone is different (one friend can eat bacon and eggs then go riding and feel great...if I did that it would end up on the trail) but this seems to work for everyone that has tried it.

Exploreur de Citée
    Ok... Well it lloks like I have nothing else much to do but get up earlier...

I will find a way to solve that problem. Maybe go to bed earlier...

Thanks a lot buddies!
    D.Xenotime