Crashing hurts.
    May 2008

Apparently it was a good crash

Happened May 31st and I just made it out of hospital June 9th. Whistler bike park, just doing a couple cruisy laps after work, and all of a sudden I'm sitting in a ditch beside the trail for some reason.

Don't remember the crash at all, or several minutes afterwards. Second guy on scene who stayed with me said I probably overshot a landing pretty badly by the looks of it. Snapped my helmet visor and basically took full impact with my face. Shredded the inside of my lips and broke my jaw in two places, broke a bone in my hand, and got a real solid concussion.

Got a ride out of the park on a spine board by patrol to an ambulance, then to the local ER, and then told to go down to hospital rooms and an OR in Vancouver.

Recovery time isn't going to be too bad, hopefully back to light riding in six weeks, but it's been a pretty crappy week and a half. I miss riding, but more than that I REALLY miss being able to speak, chew, or open my mouth. Haven't decided what my first meal will be after getting the wires cut, but I'm sure whatever it is it will seem spectacular!
    Hanging out in Whistler... Just another day in paradise.

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    Whoa. I'd be glad I didn't remember that. No food. That would suck. Can you put a steak in a blender? You might actually be more excited about brushing the inside of your teeth after six weeks.

Those visors are so flimsy, I was wondering if they really do anything in a crash...Glad you're ok. I'll be enjoying my food a little more than usual tomorrow.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

I'm more of a dog person
    you might want to look into getting a ff helmet. good luck with the recovery.

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I was wearing a full face Giro Remedy helmet. I'm sure it saved me from even more severe injuries.

Haven't tried steak in the blender, but did liquify some chicken. Poured in some broth to thin it out and it almost seemed like a meal. Very true about brushing my teeth, I'm sure it won't be a pleasant trip to the dentist after these weeks are up. I can only really brush the front dozen teeth or so, all the molars are totally inaccessible.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoli
    I was wearing a full face Giro Remedy helmet.
    Yikes, that's the helmet that I wear!

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    Had a friend visit yesterday who described the crash scene as me digging a 10 ft long trench worthy of planting crops in with the front of my helmet.

High Speed Steaks
    MAN! Your face as a plow...

Thanks for the story and recover soon and well.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    were you wearing correctly the helmet?
    i ask,since i see a lot of people with their helmets on, but with the straps not totally tighten.
    in a eventual crash, helmet will rotate and... well you know what happens unfortunately.

try some fish+carrots and tomato juice shakes. if it`s to strong for you, make soops.
    try fish soap (boil the fish with onions and garlic). remove a portion of fish, and let it do. to finish triturat everything.
    also excelent is the shrimp cream!
    and you also can try the meet, although it might taste strange.

be patient

mtbr member
    I hear ya, I bit it doing downhill at my local ski resort (Seven Springs) and tore up my left side. Bent the seat and fawked up my front derailure. Im still sore from it, and my road rash is starting to heal up. I should be back on the trails this weekend.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

-
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    Yikes, that's the helmet that I wear!
    Same here..
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow, quite a crash. Did the face of your Remedy break?

I am still out from a crash April 19 at Sea Otter. I was launched face first down the only real steep section and landed face down off course on rock then tumbled. The face of my Remedy saved my face! It did crack in the front, but just the area that extends up toward the nose (above the vent). Oh, and the visor broke into 3 pieces - one scratched my face just below my eye...lucky.

Giro (Bell) has a crash replacement policy that will get you a new one at 30% off retail - no shipping. Just call the number on their web site... My new one just arrived. I hope to ride in a few weeks.

BTW, in the tumble, I somehow slammed my heel into the ground - broke my calcaneus (heel bone). 10 week - no weight on it. Bummer!

Heal quickly...

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I've had a few people ask if me helmet was good for fit, and it's made me question it a little too. I'm confident it was the right size as it fit snugly, but I have been asking myself if maybe the chin strap could've been tighter. It certainly wasn't loose, but I wonder if I'd tightened it up just a touch if it would've made a difference. Since I don't remember the crash, I'm not sure if it shifted at impact.

There are no visible deformaties to the helmet, but I will probably get a new one to be on the safe side. It's missing a bunch of paint but that's about it. I work retail so I'll get the replacement at cost probably.

In the last two days I've had a friend break his wrist and a room mate blow out his ankle. Not the most forgiving sport!

I wonder if I will ever enjoy a smoothie again after all this is over...

mtbr member
    Of course you`ll have a good time!

Just take it easy now... and re-start slowly until you are at the same level.

PS- I`ve refer the straps since i see lots of people with them very loose. same for the shoes... but think that`s "style"......

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    They make this cheap portable model of waterpik (don't know if that's the brand, it's royal blue and white) that's less than $30 that would really blast the guk out of your wires. Might even get through the gaps and hit the inside to some degree. At any rate, it would make your mouth feel a lot cleaner.

V8 juice. I'd be drinkin' a lot of V8.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I picked up a 'sulcabrush' designed to hit the gaps between orthodontic bands, it's at least a slight improvement over a regular toothbrush. I got some good news Friday, I get my wires switched to elastics next week.

Also got bad news though, shouldn't be returning to normal activity until August

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I finally got clearance from the surgeon today that my jaw looks good and I can return to normal activity. I'm pretty stoked about being able to ride to work tomorrow morning instead of hopping on a bus! I've had the cast off my hand for a little over three weeks, but it's taken that much physio before getting into position of being able to ride. Still not 100%, but good enough for trails I think. I'll probably start light with some relatively easy XC stuff, then hopefully make my way back to DH riding in a week or two. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle big jumps or drops yet.

I have to have another surgery next week to take the hardware out of my face, but it should be clear sailing from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkul
    were you wearing correctly the helmet?
    i ask,since i see a lot of people with their helmets on, but with the straps not totally tighten.
    in a eventual crash, helmet will rotate and... well you know what happens unfortunately.
    Everyone go tighten your chin straps! I just checked my helmet that I had on, and despite the strap appearing to be tight, when I grabbed the bottom of the full face I was able to lift it up a surprising amount before the strap totally stopped the upward motion. I don't think I'll be making this mistake again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle big jumps or drops yet.

Everyone go tighten your chin straps!
    Take your time...just enjoy that you are back on the bike! It is such a great step just to be able to ride again! I have 4 rides so far - road and XC only. Freedom!

Thanks for letting everyone know - the right equipment with a poor fit will not work! Sorry you did not learn that before your fall. I was lucky that by bro checked/adjusted my fit when I bought the helmet.

Post a ride report in a week or so. Nothing like getting back on...

Crashing hurts.
    May 2008
    I'm actually having a hard time getting my helmet not to ride up even with the chin strap set to choker tight. I may have to try a different brand or something to get a better fit.

I also had an interesting conversation with a motocross rider who claimed he left his chin strap somewhat loose on purpose because he figured a broken jaw was better than a potentially broken neck from having the front of the helmet get bucked backwards too hard on impact and taking his neck backwards as well, so now I'm mainly just unsure. The only thing the sales rep said to me when I bought my Remedy was to try to achieve a 'snug fit', which I did.

Anyway, it feels great to be able to ride to work again, which for me is basically half asphalt and half a green level XC trail. I'll be heading up for my first real trail ride tomorrow after work if the rain holds off. Haven't been back on the DH rig yet, but I did start putting it back together properly as a few things are a bit out of alignment after the crash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ... try a different brand or something to get a better fit.

...he figured a broken jaw was better than a potentially broken neck from having the front of the helmet get bucked backwards too hard on impact...
    Yes - get a better fitting helmet. Something is not right with yours! Go to a full service shop and get help making sure it stays in place.

I don't follow his logic at all. If your face hits the ground, your jaw/teeth/skin will act as a shock absorber, saving your neck? No thanks! I think if you hit the ground hard enough to break your neck, you will. No need to throw in the damage to your face too.

Glad to hear you are riding again!