Out Of Control

Apex Injury Last Night?

Anybody hear what happened Apex around 7pm last night? Bunch of ambulances and rescue looked to be heading up the trail head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrok
    Anybody hear what happened Apex around 7pm last night? Bunch of ambulances and rescue looked to be heading up the trail head.
    Don't know; that was a little late for a lightning strike. Maybe someone got bit by a rattlesnake. I was riding up the gulch trail tuesday evening, and a dude on a yeti endo'd spectacularly right in front of me to avoid hitting one of the biggest rattlers I've ever seen. He rolled half-way down the gulch, and fortunately was ok, except for the usual scrapes.

Back on topic, maybe something happened over at the amusement park?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    a dude on a yeti endo'd spectacularly right in front of me to avoid hitting one of the biggest rattlers I've ever seen. He rolled half-way down the gulch, and fortunately was ok, except for the usual scrapes.
    Sounds like he made a great choice IMO. I tend to see rattlers on the trails a ton in the hour before sunset, which means a lot of my after work rides are done on the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I nailed a rattler on Green Mountain a few weeks back. Came around a corner and only had time to pick up my front wheel and level my pedals. Ran over him with my rear tire. When I looked back he was coiled up and pissed off. Got lucky.

Goofing off?
    I was in a similar situation a couple years ago in San Diego. It struck at my tire and I didn't event know it was a snake until I came back and saw him slivering into the bushes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What do you do if you get bitten by a rattler? East coaster here....sorry for the gumby question but I'm coming to CO late Aug for some riding/hiking...

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzif
    What do you do if you get bitten by a rattler? East coaster here....sorry for the gumby question but I'm coming to CO late Aug for some riding/hiking...
    The best advice I received after consulting a couple of ER docs that I know (after being struck at twice by rattlers, both times having my leg missed by just inches, once in White Ranch, the second time on Apex) is to not freak out, and get to an ER as soon as you can (within a few hours) for treatment and anti-venom.

Apparently the biggest risk you're likely looking at is losing the limb that was bit. I know a guy who got bit once, didn't even notice or realize it until he saw the bite marks on his ankle the next day. The night before he just felt queasy, thought he had food poisoning or something. He never even saw a doctor. Not that I recommend not seeing a doctor, but it does put this stuff into perspective.

Being struck by baby ones are worse than older ones, I hear they can't control their venom and tend to shoot their wad.

I can't see calling 911 in either case. I'd just ride back to the car and drive myself to an ER as soon as I could.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the heads up - that's a good thing to know. Hopefully I won't get lost out there...

So, none of this - cut an x in the bite and try and suck the venom out stuff? Just get to the ER...I like that better than trying to cut myself with a tire lever...haha...

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzif
    So, none of this - cut an x in the bite and try and suck the venom out stuff?
    Only if you feel like giving your attending ER docs a helluva laugh and risk giving yourself a nasty skin infection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hehe... was this on you're last run?

J/K!

Out Of Control
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Hehe... was this on you're last run?

J/K!
    y yes it was mr. box I promise I didn't run anybody off the trail this time How you been? Will we see you at the climax next month?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I've been good, you?

You WILL see me at Keystone... now will I be racing? I hope so but I'm doubtful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I finished a late run up Apex/down enchanted forest last night around 8 and didn't see anything.

hehe ...you said "member"

Re: snake bites

Agreed - the old "suck out the venom" trick is a joke . Get to the ER for antivenom asap. One pointer: (hopefully nobody has to use this) place a snug tourniquette (your spare tube should work)above the bite. This doesn't have to be so tight it cuts off circulation, rather, just tight enough to slow the return of venous blood from your leg. Keep the leg down (below the level of your heart)and try to slow your heart rate by calmly getting off the trail. It reduces the chance of the venom spreading further in to the body via the circulatory system. I've treated a number of rattler bites and, without exception, the quicker you receive antivenom, the better you respond to treatment.

mtbr member
    Oddly enough, I had what I believe to be an encounter with a rattler yesterday. I had seen a few at White Ranch before as well as Matthew Winters but I was riding at White Ranch semi zoned out and heard a rattle. Before I could react and I felt a little something on my leg. After sprinting a few seconds, I stopped and looked down and sure enough there were two small punctures on the outside of my ankle. Fortunately I had no ill effects and road straight home. Got checked out at the hospital to be safe. I will definitely be super wary while riding around here from now on.