mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Anyone ride with a partial knee replacement? Having mine done it less than a month

I'll try and sum up what led up to the replacement.

Let me just start by saying I just turned 40 years old this year. I have been suffering for the past 2 years with severe knee pain after a failed HTO and reconstruction of my knee. I had a non-union of the tibia that wasn't caught until 8 months after my original surgery. It destroyed all of the work they did in the knee and now I am stuck with even more pain than before. Max I can really ride is about 5 miles without severe pain, but I push it sometimes and do 14 miles. I can only walk a 1/2 block without severe pain at this point. A grocery store or shopping involves me almost passing out from the pain, so I rarely attempt those unless I want to spend the rest of the day with my leg iced down.

I was recommended a partial knee replacement by a new orthopedic surgeon 4 months ago, but I didn't feel he was as confident as I thought he should be. I did eventually find a doctor after a lot of research and waiting. He was booked for the next 3 months, but after explaining my situation to his secretary she fit me into the schedule. I finally got to see him last week and I was totally impressed with him. Totally confident he can do the surgery in 45 minutes even with the multiple screws and plate in my tibia and give me 90% relief for 9-10 years. At this point I will take anything. He currently is doing a study on recovery time after surgery and he said I will be able to drive in 2 or 3 days. Every other doctor told me 3-4 weeks minimum. He even told me he will have me playing tennis (not that I play tennis) before the end of summer.

I am amazed that recovery can be this quick and I am hoping this is true. If anyone has had one please let me know your experiences or your current progress you have made?

Thanks
    Chris

mtbr dismember

Tkr

I don't know what's involved in a partial replacement but I've had two TKR and I ride lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The partial knee replacement will only replace the medial side of my knee. The other side is in perfect shape. The say it will fell closer to a real knee and allow me to recover quickly. I'm glad to see someone is riding with a TKR so that gives me some hope. Thanks for responding.

Cheesiest
    Good luck on the PKR! I'm 37 and looking at a potential osteotomy. I've thought about the PKR route, too.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's what I had for my first surgery in March or 2012 for my right knee:
    -Autologous chondrite implantation
    -Medial meniscus allograft
    -Tibia Tubercule osteotomy
    -Open lateral release
    -Excision of medial femoral and tibial osteophytes

That was 9 hours of surgery at once. took me 6 months to somewhat recover enough to be off crutches. At 8 months they realized I had a non-union of the tibia plateau and had to redo the HTO. 3 screws backed out and bone was shifting 3/4" of an inch every time I used it. Because of this, the plate in my leg can never be removed. It does hurt sometimes very severely but I have no choice but to deal with that pain.

If you do have the HTO, I recommend asking for a closed wedge osteotomy. Faster recovery and less chance of a non-union. It definitely was the most pain I ever experienced including having kidney stones.

Cheesiest
    Wow. That's an intense surgery. I went to the OS yesterday and probably going to end up with a meniscus allograft. Thankfully, most of the articular cartilage is OK.

Good luck on the PKR!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv