mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Anyone had steriod injection therapy?

Hey all,

After battling a lingering lower back problem over the last several years (and one that's gotten worse in the last 6 moths), I've decided to try injection therapy. I've done everything else including PT, but the problem is that the area will not loosen up at all and PT is just aggravating the problem more. They think that the injections will cause the inflammation to go down enough that I'll be able to do the PT without it flaring up after and allowing me to strenghten the lower back.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Bodhisattva
    Impossible to comment without knowing what is the source of your back pain and what type of steroid injections have been recommended (epidurals, facet blocks, local trigger points, etc.)
    Life....the original terminal illness

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Impossible to comment without knowing what is the source of your back pain and what type of steroid injections have been recommended (epidurals, facet blocks, local trigger points, etc.)
    would you recommend steroids for my fibromyalgia?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    would you recommend steroids for my fibromyalgia?
    No. You definitely need anti-psychotics

spinner
    Just a thought - I once had a bad upper back injury that also was aggravated by PT, and did injections of Novacaine which allowed the muscles to relax enough to get some assist from the PT.... maybe less toxic overall than steroids?
    ...at the end of my rope....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sorry. Epidural.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

steroid injections

I've gotten facet injections( cortisone) three level 3 - 4 times a year since 1993 sometimes they help sometimes they don't . I've gotten excellent relief from acupunture. but you gotta find the old chinaman who learned from the older old chinaman. Buy the best glucosamine,chondroitin,MSM, supplement you can find and eat it religiously. Buy the 1 hour lower back massage and you will be brand new. do the stretches (knee to chin 1 leg at a time and the 1 leg over the other twist 1 while you are still in bed in the morning before you get up this is important . if none of the above helps, the do what I do. fantisize about the Predator dude doing a spinalectomy on my ass.
    Harv

Medicine is so over rated. I would highly recommend you visit a chiropractor to take care of this and any other issues you may have.

spinner
    I vote for old Chinamen and massage.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnergirl
    I vote for old Chinamen and massage.
    it is very hurtful that you would mock my advice.

though now that you mention it, a massage sounds good, but not from an old man.....well I guess i can deal with a man giving me a massage so long as he does not try to give me a happy ending...not that there is anything wrong with guys who are into other guys, I'm just sayin....

spinner
    oooo d'oh ok that old chinamen thing did look kinda wierd.... I am not really into old chinamen's happy endings either.... not that there's anything wrong with that.... lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by harv mushman
    I've gotten facet injections( cortisone) three level 3 - 4 times a year since 1993 sometimes they help sometimes they don't . I've gotten excellent relief from acupunture. but you gotta find the old chinaman who learned from the older old chinaman. Buy the best glucosamine,chondroitin,MSM, supplement you can find and eat it religiously. Buy the 1 hour lower back massage and you will be brand new. do the stretches (knee to chin 1 leg at a time and the 1 leg over the other twist 1 while you are still in bed in the morning before you get up this is important . if none of the above helps, the do what I do. fantisize about the Predator dude doing a spinalectomy on my ass.
    Harv
    Nice! I love the Predator comment!

Well, I'm about 2 days removed from my first injection and it's feeling pretty good! The problem I was having before was that the stretches weren't helping because the inflammation in my back was so bad that it wouldn't let it relax at all. NSID's like Advil and Aleve were not helping either.

I agree about acupuncture. I had a really great acupuncturist, but he moved back to his home state leaving me acupunctureistless (is that a word?). I've tried 2 others since then with zero results.

I'm hoping that this series of shots will limber me up enough that I'll be able to get back on the PT and get some positive results this time! I'm going to shoot for a spring time return to the bike! Wish me luck!

120 pounds of xc sex!

+1 for Glucosamine

Iím a pretty active runner as well. (Actually, I cycle and swim as well.) My whole body takes quite a beating, so I started to take Glucosamine. I was a little hesitant at first, because everyone I knew who was taking it was over 50; but then I read about how helps people of all ages so I figured I would give it a shot. I am glad I did.

Glucosamine I take: Glucosamine
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    Iím a pretty active runner as well. (Actually, I cycle and swim as well.) My whole body takes quite a beating, so I started to take Glucosamine. I was a little hesitant at first, because everyone I knew who was taking it was over 50; but then I read about how helps people of all ages so I figured I would give it a shot. I am glad I did.

Glucosamine I take: Glucosamine
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've done some research on Glucosamine and was ready to order it until I read that people with shellfish allergies (like me) should avoid taking it. I asked my physical therapist about this and he said it was true. I will say that my dog has had great results from it though!

Bodhisattva
    Most glucosamine preparations are derived from shellfish so there is a chance for allergic reaction.

Chances that it will help you are slim. It has some benefit in studies looking at its effect in knee arthritis, but other than that the data is pretty darned unimpressive.

That last statement of mine will likely produce a barage of rebutals from people claiming that it changed their life, but facts are facts. In large controlled studies, glucosamine has proven to be mediocre at best.

I wish you the best of luck with the epidurals & stay active.

Most glucosamine preparations are derived from shellfish so there is a chance for allergic reaction.

Chances that it will help you are slim. It has some benefit in studies looking at its effect in knee arthritis, but other than that the data is pretty darned unimpressive.

That last statement of mine will likely produce a barage of rebutals from people claiming that it changed their life, but facts are facts. In large controlled studies, glucosamine has proven to be mediocre at best.

I wish you the best of luck with the epidurals & stay active.
    whatever....i prefer case studies on Oprah over large randomized controlled trial. It is all a conspiracy anyway. All the data in those studies is fraud !!!

aka Dick Dangle
    I had about 7 or more in my Hip before I had to have it replaced.But Wow did it make my Hip feel better.Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had two different injections in my elbow for chronic tennis elbow, and neither did any good. In fact, the second one caused atropy at the injection site and pretty much left me worse off then before I had the shot. I am slowly recovering using therapy, stretching and lots of anti-inflammatory meds. I have had issues with my back too and agree that chiropractic has been the best for it, that and lots of rest. Good luck.

GeoMan
    I did steroid injections in my shoulder before having surgery about 10 years ago. Frankly, I think steroids do much more harm than good. They also suppress your immune system. I'd do physical therapy, acupuncture, massage therapy, and alternative methods before doing steroids ever again.

Short-term, steriods make you feel good but you pay a long-term price...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 12-08-2006 at 05:58 PM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

gls
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Geoman wrote: I did steroid injections in my shoulder before having surgery about 10 years ago. Frankly, I think steroids do much more harm than good.

Maybe your doctor was using them inappropriately in a situation where surgery was needed, but inflamation was not so much of a problem, or maybe he gave you too much. Steroids are potent drugs that are not to be taken lightly, but I would not want to live without them. I have used steroids orally, intramuscularly, topically, and by inhalation. The cardinal rules are don't use them longer than needed, and don't use any more than needed. I've experienced some of the side effects of steroid overdosage (a couple infections, insomnia, hypomania) and I still think they are worth it. In the hands of a competent doctor, they can work wonders. To be fair, in the hands of a quack, they could really mess you up. When ice, NSAIDs, and PT aren't enough, they are sometimes the next thing to consider, but they usually aren't the first thing to try for a musculoskeletal problem.

mtbr member

Sorry if I missed it

Quote Originally Posted by oddestfellow
    Hey all,

After battling a lingering lower back problem over the last several years (and one that's gotten worse in the last 6 moths), I've decided to try injection therapy. I've done everything else including PT, but the problem is that the area will not loosen up at all and PT is just aggravating the problem more. They think that the injections will cause the inflammation to go down enough that I'll be able to do the PT without it flaring up after and allowing me to strenghten the lower back.

Any thoughts? Comments?
    Did you have an MRI done? If so what did it show?

aka Dick Dangle

staples

Wow who closes with staples on a open shoulder case.Thats not to cool, I see on a big belly case or a hip ect,but that is lazzzzy.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by it hurts
    Wow who closes with staples on a open shoulder case.Thats not to cool, I see on a big belly case or a hip ect,but that is lazzzzy.
    Maybe lazy and ugly to boot but I had that surgery 10 years ago and my shoulder has been perfect since. That's all that matters to me now.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com