mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Any suggestions for lower leg issue?

Just discovered this site and forum, I'm hoping I might get some advice on a recent injury.

After about a 6-week layoff from illness, I was trying to start some riding again. I went on maybe a half dozen short rides over 2-3 weeks, and my left calf/achilles/heel area have started causing me problems. This is a new condition for me. I have what feels like a little tension in my calf area, and my first few steps every time I stand up and walk cause a small pop feeling and tingling sensation in a tendon down the outside portion of my ankle and into my heel/foot. Also, if I rotate my ankle around, I get a much more noticeable clicking/popping than I've ever had.

Now I have been off the bike for over a week, but the recovery from this seems very slow. I've tried calf stretches (not to mention all my other major muscle groups -- hamstrings, quads, hips, etc.). Tried ibuprofen for three days with very limited impact. I thought at first this might stem from IT band injury traveling further down my leg, but I don't think so. I did have a minor IT band problem one time a year ago which I felt towards my hip, but I was able to overcome that with some rest, stretching, and ibuprofen. This is definitely different.

I do a couple short, steep climbs on every ride (1000 feet max), and from another post on this forum and some articles I found, climbing sounds like it can definitely contribute to this problem. I am planning to lay off climbing for a while whenever I start back up. I plan to hold off on riding at all until I feel 100%.

I'm wondering what I might try to 1) recover more quickly from this injury (if possible), and 2) avoid reinjuring.

Ideas I've gathered from other posts include:

- less climbing
    - get my bike(s) setup evaluated
    - stay stretched, especially after riding
    - some sort of PT or weights, just not sure what exercises

Any ideas or feedback are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I had a very similar problem mid last year, in January 06 bought a new bike (first timer on clipless pedals) and Sidi Dom5 shoes. About May-June developed same symptoms as you described, not killer pain but annoying. I posted the issue here and got some good feedback, most reply's were aimed at bike setup and shoes. For me it was just an adjustment to the MUCH stiffer shoes, I put in some Specialized footbeds w/ the varus/valgus shims not sure if it helped but it did go away. I would make sure to put ice an the ankles after a ride also. Good Luck

mtbr member
    May 2005

Peroneal Tendon Subluxation (Dislocation)

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMonkey
    Just discovered this site and forum, I'm hoping I might get some advice on a recent injury.

After about a 6-week layoff from illness, I was trying to start some riding again. I went on maybe a half dozen short rides over 2-3 weeks, and my left calf/achilles/heel area have started causing me problems. This is a new condition for me. I have what feels like a little tension in my calf area, and my first few steps every time I stand up and walk cause a small pop feeling and tingling sensation in a tendon down the outside portion of my ankle and into my heel/foot. Also, if I rotate my ankle around, I get a much more noticeable clicking/popping than I've ever had.

Now I have been off the bike for over a week, but the recovery from this seems very slow. I've tried calf stretches (not to mention all my other major muscle groups -- hamstrings, quads, hips, etc.). Tried ibuprofen for three days with very limited impact. I thought at first this might stem from IT band injury traveling further down my leg, but I don't think so. I did have a minor IT band problem one time a year ago which I felt towards my hip, but I was able to overcome that with some rest, stretching, and ibuprofen. This is definitely different.

I do a couple short, steep climbs on every ride (1000 feet max), and from another post on this forum and some articles I found, climbing sounds like it can definitely contribute to this problem. I am planning to lay off climbing for a while whenever I start back up. I plan to hold off on riding at all until I feel 100%.

I'm wondering what I might try to 1) recover more quickly from this injury (if possible), and 2) avoid reinjuring.

Ideas I've gathered from other posts include:

- less climbing
    - get my bike(s) setup evaluated
    - stay stretched, especially after riding
    - some sort of PT or weights, just not sure what exercises

Any ideas or feedback are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I have the same problem, that popping/snapping sensation at the back of the fibula (the protruded bone outside of the ankle). I did some research and tend to believe i have my peroneal tendon sublux or dislocate. Tendon gets out of the groove at the back of the bone and that rubbing makes that part sored/painful. From my readings treatment could be non-surgical & surgical. Non surgical involves what you already mentioned (stretching, RICE, etc) but as my doctor said, it wont eliminate the subluxation and worst case is that a surgery maybe necessary. How are you now? Are you improving? Im still suffering from it. Im considering a surgery, but as much as possible by God's grace i want to get fine without it.