mtbr member

Any doctors in the house? Got results from CT scan and don't really understand.

A little background: I'm 50 and have always been in really good health. I eat pretty good, not perfect, never smoked or done drugs, I drink maybe two beers a week, a little bourbon but not much. When I had my last physical, about 5 years ago, my cholesterol was low and the Dr. said I'm off the charts healthy and nothing has changed since then. And, I get a lot of exercise.

But, awhile ago I had two pretty severe exertion headaches in one day. I ended up going to the emergency room, because I didn't know what was going on. It happened at work so it became a Workers' Comp. ordeal. Workers' comp. sent me to this little fat troll of a Dr. that wasn't a neurologist. She's a D.O. And she was very nasty. She didn't have my medical records, she didn't want to hear what happened to me and she made a determination that this wasn't work related. So, I had to wait while SCIF gathered my medical records so I could see a QME. All this was pretty stressful. I have thousands of dollars worth of ER bills and SCIF doesn't want to pay for it. And, the QME makes the final decision as to if its work related or not. The good news is that the QME agreed that it was work related and I won't have to pay for all my bills. But, she noted in her report, that I just got in the mail today, three things that concern me a little, that were seen on the CT scan, that she did not discuss with me in person.

1: CT Scan of the brain.

Impressions of the brain were borderline cerebellar tonsil ectopia, otherwise essentially negative.

2: CT Angiogram of head.

Impressions were diffusely smaller A1 segment of the left anterior cerebral artery and patent anterior communicating artery.

3: CT Angiogram of neck.

Impressions were questionable tapering of the origin of left vertebral artery, although possible do to beam hardening artifact from the shoulders.

So, I internet searched this stuff and learned a little. Not much though. The ER visit was pretty much a waste of half a day. They couldn't tell me what happened. I figured it out after going home and doing some internet searches. It turns out exertion headaches are pretty common. The only thing the ER could tell me was that nothing really bad happened, the CT scan looked ok and that I wasn't in danger of dying. The QME told me that I probably had a small bleed. But, this other stuff has me a little concerned. I don't really know what it all means. I guess another Dr. visit is in my future.

On a side note. This is my second Workers' Comp. experience. They are a bunch of stupid Mother ****ing, **** licking ****ers!! Avoid them at all costs!

mtbr member
    Workers comp sucks. I used to work in claims and the first thing we did, not matter what, was deny the claim. Then make the patient jump through hoops to get anything done. I work in a hospital now and if someone gets hurt at work, it takes weeks to months just to get an MRI. they put you on light duty and make you come to work and sit around all day. A coworker and I both had the same knee injury, his at work mine not. I had my MRI, surgery and was off about a month, got back to work before his surg was scheduled. All do to the WC staff trying to screw him.

Anyway, go see a neurologist as soon as you can. Way better safe than sorry
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Well, that was the thing. The QME is a really good nerurologist and see said nothing to me about it when I saw her. I only found those three things when I read the report.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I dont have great understanding of the circulatory system. But based on my experience at work and education i would say they are just commenting on your particular venous structure. We are all built up from the same blueprint but the arteries and viens look different from person to person. My personal experience in pathology has shown me there are striking differences in the size of jugular viens and carotid arteries.

Besides, the individual who made those notes was likely just commenting so it looks like they did something on a friday.