Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Docs in the House?: Self Diagnosing...

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  fisherrider 
#1 ·
Reader's Digest Version: Any of you spurred your doc's treatment/advice and started biking earlier than old? Did you end up regretting it, or did things work out okay?

Long Winded Version: Back in Nov., I ruptured my Achilles' tendon (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=475064). I had it surgically repaired on Dec. 4, and have been on the road to recovery. According to Doc, surgery went well, and I was placed in a walking boot 3 weeks post op (although I was told to be non-weight bearing while in the boot for another 3 weeks). Had my second follow up three weeks ago yesterday, and started PT last week. From all indications, I'm doing great, and if I can read between the lines, ahead of schedule.

Here is my dilemma: my next appointment is Feb. 20, at which time I'm kind of assuming the doc will let me take the boot off. However, I signed up (and paid) to do the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo (which unfortunately has a no-refund/transfer policy), which is Feb. 14. I'm deathly afraid of doctors, and have been pushing the limits in terms of do's and dont's (for instance, even though I was told to not put weight on foot until 6 weeks after surgery, I was semi-walking in the book 4 weeks after, without any repercussions). As I mentioned, the PT said the recovery is going great, and my range of motion is almost even with my good ankle. Also, I feel almost no pain, and very little pull doing my stretches, etc.

I'm seriously considering doing one or two laps (I signed up solo, so I don't have a team to rely on me), at slow speed (this is due to me doing almost zero cardio since the injury), and wearing flats. I do realize the risk of reinjuring, especially if I eat dirt (which I think is a slim chance, since the course is very tame, and in the 8 years I've done it, I can only think of one time I've actually crashed). But I plan to be extremely cautious. In all honesty, if it was any other race, I'd just bow out. But this is the one event I look forward to each year. (That said, even if I decide not to race, I will participate somehow--either as support or volunteer.)

Anyway, I know the majority will tell me better to be safe than sorry (and I promise to read every response with an open mind, even if it seems I've made up my mind already). But I'm also looking for a bit of some validation (personal accounts of those who thumbed their noses at the doc, and came away unscathed).

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesn't sound like you'll be missing much. It's not a 'race of a lifetime' if you've done it for 8 years in a row. Just because it will be a race atmosphere I bet you'll push yourself much harder than you may want to or realize. Worrying about the entrance feels like you're putting a price on your health. If you can already ride, that's awesome but why race?

I planned on trying racing this year for the first time ever but a broken leg put a hold on that. Now I just want to ride again. :) Good luck!

#3 ·
Why not call your doc? My shoulder was separated (=sprained) a couple of weeks ago and technically I shouldn't be riding but I called my doc up to see. She said I shouldn't ride until it's fully healed (of course she did) but at the same time hinted that it would not be the end of the world if I took it easy on my shoulder while riding.

If you call your doc, you'll probably get a stern no, but you may find out some information that will help you decide for yourself.

#4 ·
maxmatias said:
Why not call your doc? My shoulder was separated (=sprained) a couple of weeks ago and technically I shouldn't be riding but I called my doc up to see. She said I shouldn't ride until it's fully healed (of course she did) but at the same time hinted that it would not be the end of the world if I took it easy on my shoulder while riding.

If you call your doc, you'll probably get a stern no, but you may find out some information that will help you decide for yourself.
I guess part of my "deathly afraid of doctors" was more a commentary on me not wanting to ask him, because yes I'm positive he will say no.

I'm starting to lean towards passing on the race. I've been feeling really good, and then last night I was really feeling the pull, probably from overuse. I have a couple more weeks, and if it feels progressively better, I might call up the Monday before and see what he says.

#5 ·
Live to Ride Another Day

I too am an Achilles' tendon rupture survivor. In my opinion, riding a mountain bike at this stage of your recovery will be very painful and reinjury is too great of a risk. Also, because your muscles have atrophied, you have a greater chance of injury to the surrounding muscles/tendons/ligaments. Live to ride another day. If you still want to participate, go and volunteer.

#6 ·
Dude don't mess with what your doctor says. That is a horrible injury. I had a complete rupture in January of 06, and like you wanted to push it. The short of it is that the doctor let me go back to work early at my persuasion, and I slipped in a puddle of oil and popped it again. I had a partial tear when I slipped. Give it time and do what the doctor says. My calf muscle is still significantly smaller on the side I tore mine 3 years later. Don't screw it up!!!!!!!! No race is worth the down time. You can do it next year.

#8 ·
A separated shoulder and a achilles tendon rupture are not even close to being the same thing. Eventhough you may feel awesome, you have to remember that your body needs to place new tendon tissue in place of the tear. The surgery does not "fix" the tear, but rather put the pieces together so your body can heal it. It takes a certain amount of time for tendons to heal. This is not the last race you will ever have a chance to do. However, if you ride and your tendon tears again, it may be.

But you are right about one thing. If you ask your doctor, he will say no.

#9 ·
Don't do it! You are only 8 weeks out of surgery and the soft tissue(ie achilles tendon) needs approx 12 weeks for full recovery. Even then you will want to approach heavier strengthening with some caution as the tensile strength is not back to normal yet. That tendon experiences too much stress to push too hard,too fast. Do it right and have a good spring and summer!

#10 ·
skinny-tire said:
Reader's Digest Version: Any of you spurred your doc's treatment/advice and started biking earlier than old? Did you end up regretting it, or did things work out okay?

Long Winded Version: Back in Nov., I ruptured my Achilles' tendon (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=475064). I had it surgically repaired on Dec. 4, and have been on the road to recovery. According to Doc, surgery went well, and I was placed in a walking boot 3 weeks post op (although I was told to be non-weight bearing while in the boot for another 3 weeks). Had my second follow up three weeks ago yesterday, and started PT last week. From all indications, I'm doing great, and if I can read between the lines, ahead of schedule.

Here is my dilemma: my next appointment is Feb. 20, at which time I'm kind of assuming the doc will let me take the boot off. However, I signed up (and paid) to do the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo (which unfortunately has a no-refund/transfer policy), which is Feb. 14. I'm deathly afraid of doctors, and have been pushing the limits in terms of do's and dont's (for instance, even though I was told to not put weight on foot until 6 weeks after surgery, I was semi-walking in the book 4 weeks after, without any repercussions). As I mentioned, the PT said the recovery is going great, and my range of motion is almost even with my good ankle. Also, I feel almost no pain, and very little pull doing my stretches, etc.

I'm seriously considering doing one or two laps (I signed up solo, so I don't have a team to rely on me), at slow speed (this is due to me doing almost zero cardio since the injury), and wearing flats. I do realize the risk of reinjuring, especially if I eat dirt (which I think is a slim chance, since the course is very tame, and in the 8 years I've done it, I can only think of one time I've actually crashed). But I plan to be extremely cautious. In all honesty, if it was any other race, I'd just bow out. But this is the one event I look forward to each year. (That said, even if I decide not to race, I will participate somehow--either as support or volunteer.)

Anyway, I know the majority will tell me better to be safe than sorry (and I promise to read every response with an open mind, even if it seems I've made up my mind already). But I'm also looking for a bit of some validation (personal accounts of those who thumbed their noses at the doc, and came away unscathed).
Instead of doing the race why don't you go out and do some trail maintenance. Maybe you could clear a trail that is being encroached upon by inhospital vegetation.

#12 ·
I'd skip the race....your long-term health is waaaay more important and there are many other times to ride.

rippling over canyons said:
I wouldn't race yet. That's a pretty serious injury and it is not worth the risk of potentially permanent damage. If you're concerned about the money, why not try to sell or trade your entry fee?
X2

#13 ·
I'm not a doc yet, but I am in school and we just did extremities. I can safely say that although you are fully ahead of schedule the race is not in your best interest at all. The fact that it is a race which will require you to put a multitude of stress on that tendon for 24 hours is too much. It is your tendon so it's your decision, but remember how much it sucked not being able to walk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.