= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005

annoying injury/sprain?

Hey guys.

About a month and a half ago my crew and I headed up to Mammoth for a weekend of lift served gnar. It was a great time, everyone had a blast and we all walked away relatively unscathed with a minimal amount of carnage. Or so I thought.

In the days following my return, i noticed some annoying muscle pains at the very top of my left calf (right below the back of the knee bend), I dismissed it as a simple muscle strain as I used to get those all the time playing basketball and lifting weights. Well, it's been a month and a half, and the pain is still there. It's not bad enough to keep me immobile, but it's bad enough to bother me when i ride. I've tried taking it easy for a few days, even took a week off riding due to a cold, and it hasn't improved.

It bugs me most after i sit in a chair for an extended period of time (have a desk job ), and then get up to walk around.. it's like it stiffens up or something. I've been doing a lot of dirt jumping with my friends, and the pain definitely manifests itself when i botch a landing by overshooting a tranny and going to flat. The whole area around the knee gets sore as well after 3-4 hours of dirt jumping.

Wondering if anyone has any insight to this. Have you ever had a muscle sprain that lasted this long? Do you think it's something more serious and is worth a doc visit? I'd hate to walk in there, just for him to tell me to take some Motrin and take it easy for 2 weeks.

Thanks a lot guys
    Cheers.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I don't know about your injury but a sprain is a ligament injury whereas a strain is a muscle injury. You can' t 'sprain' a muscle.

However, both sprains and strains can last months. I have a thumb sprain from four weeks ago that still prevents me from changing gear with my right hand, and when I tore a shoulder muscle surfing it hurt me for a year afterwards.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    pardon my highly uneducated medical vocabulary.. but thank you for the reply.

i do believe that it was a muscle 'strain', as the symptoms are finally starting to fade.. almost 2 months later. (knock on wood)
    today was the first time in 2 months i felt fairly solid at the dirt jumps, without any significant pain.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I know this is a old topic, but I have the same problem now. It is getting better, been going to PT for 3 weeks. But I am not sure what caused it. I cant think of anything other than improper bike set up. Any ideas what I should change up once I get riding again?