Hisforever

ankles excercises?

Man, it was my turn i guess. recently i sprained my right ankle badly. again. i can count about 7 bad sprains so far.

the healing has gone pretty well and after 3 weeks i'm just barely walking with some pain,etc..

I was just wondering what are some great strengthening excercises or movements to prevent future injuries?

Bodhisattva
    Recurrent ankle sprains are tough. Strength training can help but I'd recommend you concentrate on proprioceptive exercises. Proprioception refers to your body's ability to sense position & balance. Find yourself a wobble board and work on maintaining balance. This will train your muscles to fire in the correct sequence and will help maintain stability. You can do this independently although it would be helpful for you to get some supervision and education from a Physical Therapist.

Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ditto the wobble board. but i'd also recommend wearing a lace up ankle brace while riding. loose ligaments are a recipe for an avulsion fracture, chip or bone cyst.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you guys know of any thin ankle braces? I could certainly use one but the ones I see normally are so thick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i tried several. but i used one i got at Dick's sporting goods. yes it's thick. but riding for two hours in 95 degree heat was never an issue for me. one foot was a little sweatier. you can try it without the "criscross wrap" of seatbelt material.