Smarter Than He Looks

Advice needed; minor muscle tear?

I'd appreciate your input on a minor, but nagging injury. Back in January I did a 'split' while waddling my bike across an icy bridge. No big deal, but a little pain in the ass (literally, left glute) and mid hamstring.

Now all these months later I still feel a twinge in the same areas when riding hard. It feels almost like 'oh crap, I'm getting a cramp' but never goes to full cramp. It's not that big of a deal, except it doesn't go away, and I'm worried that a REALLY hard effort (like an upcoming race) might be a problem.

I'm guessing it's a minor muscle tear, but what do I know? Any suggestions? Is it foam roller time?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    you need some of those funny stretches on your back, with a partner pushing your leg beyond where you can do it yourself. or use a system of stretchy bands and pullys

for the big race you are afraid of, you gotta do that distance and effort by yourself ahead of time, and test it. don't head into a race without going the distance on your own and a cell phone away from the sag wagon

if you can pinpoint the actual injury and specific body part, muscle and ligature affected someone can give much more accurate advice. without that, buddy stretches, and just go ride a f**kton and see what happens

mtbr member
    Foam roller may hurt the area without knowing what exactly is injured. Best bet is icing your ass each night after riding, an ice bath would probably do this best. I tweaked my ass during a powerlifting meet squatting, and my doctor gave me a list of stretches to do, but under the premise that some stretching, if over done, can create more of an issue. Massages helped me quite a bit as well.

Summit Medical Group - Gluteal Strain Exercises

mtbr member
    I recommend something like a 6 week regime t with a sports therapist who may do some manipulations including stretches and massage and heat or ultrasound to heal your injury.

The longer you wait the more difficult it can be to heal fully. Scar tissue can build up and cause weakening in the long term.