Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

add one more to the injury list

yesturday I tried jumping over a 2 foot rail and I had way to much speed and my back tire clipped it sending me over the bars into the grass landing on my shoulder and head. I ended up breaking and seperating my collar bone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    I know how you feel man. my doc said another 6 weeks probably! I thought it was too long but the doc knows best, hope you heal fast bro.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear that..hope you heal quick....Start drinking los of milk
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I feel for ya man, I'm 5 weeks in on a 12 week lay over...Do what the PT says and you'll be better in no time!!!!
    L8R
    Buck

Cynical Bystander
    That looks like thatREALLY hurts!!! Sorry to hear about the injury. Good luck on a speedy recovery!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    dang buck what did you do to yourself that is going to take 12 weeks to heal?

Yo Paseo El Scream
    i think he like cut his hand in half or something very similar to that
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

mtbr member
    Ive never broken a bone (other than toe and dislocated pinky playing hockey...) but i think it is becuase of me drinking 4 milk cartons a day at lunch...

But really, i would haven broken my collarbone 2 times in one week if not, trust me, i hit hard enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    that's a bad lookin break. heal up.

mtbr member
    man i drink milk all the time too thats pretty much the only thing i drink it just wasnt my day yesturday

the man with 7 egos
    oh man i always land on my shoulder and thats never happened to me, but i too drink alot of milk, my nick name is dairy dude, hence my name on here, yes i'm a loser.
    gravity isn't a law... it's more like a guidline

"Pain is just natures way of telling you your in excrusiating agony..."-Johny Bravo's Dentist

mtbr member
    here is a pic of me enjoying life

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    man, breaking collar bones sucks @ss. i broke 2 last season...3 in total. after the first one, the other 2 werant that bad. dont wear that sling for more then 2 weeks, cause it just helps in killing off your arm and shoulder streanth(unless the doctor has told you otherwise)...its prob a b*tch to get to sleep huh? lol....heal up fast man. good luck!

mtbr member
    2 weeks sounds good to me thanks for the advice. i go see the doctor in a week. and its not hard to get to sleep i just stay up late then fall asleep easily.

mtbr member

good luck!

I just finished week #9 since I ripped apart my tibia, fibula, and the innards of my left knee (not to mention a mild AC separation in my left shoulder). Recovery is going well, but I still won't be walking for at least another 4 weeks and even then probably with a cane. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the road bike in about 6 weeks time. Finally just started to be able to spin the pedals on an excercise bike. Just got cleared to drive my car (standard, but the left leg was the one that was damanged) last week which makes a huge difference in mobility and independence. Still have to take my crutches with me though

The only positive side to all this is that due to the nature of the injury, they plated my tibia, so I was able to start my recovery quickly and have almost all the range of motion back in my knee. Eventually, I'll have to get my ACL in my left knee rebuilt, but I'm hoping to ride for the summer and get that done late in the fall.

Rest up and definitely LET YOUR SELF HEAL! Good luck!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    I just finished week #9 since I ripped apart my tibia, fibula, and the innards of my left knee (not to mention a mild AC separation in my left shoulder). Recovery is going well, but I still won't be walking for at least another 4 weeks and even then probably with a cane. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the road bike in about 6 weeks time. Finally just started to be able to spin the pedals on an excercise bike. Just got cleared to drive my car (standard, but the left leg was the one that was damanged) last week which makes a huge difference in mobility and independence. Still have to take my crutches with me though

The only positive side to all this is that due to the nature of the injury, they plated my tibia, so I was able to start my recovery quickly and have almost all the range of motion back in my knee. Eventually, I'll have to get my ACL in my left knee rebuilt, but I'm hoping to ride for the summer and get that done late in the fall.

Rest up and definitely LET YOUR SELF HEAL! Good luck!
    man that sucks...get well soon
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    dang it knollybikes.com your taking away all my sympathy. haha just messing with ya man. i hope you get better soon, my injury is just a little scratch compared to yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gtbikesalltheway
    here is a pic of me enjoying life
    mhhh, that looks more like an shoulder bandage because you separated the collarbone from the acromium. I think you should be using an 8-bandage for the collarbone too.

I had the collarbone broken and did use a shoulder bandage the first days, now i have my shoulder one inch shorter.

Sit straight, chest up, shoulders back ALL DAY!!! yes it hurts. To sleep lean to your right and put a pillow under your back to help your shoulder fall back. Another pillow could be useful to rest your arm.

12 weeks, good luck

mtbr member
    yeh that hurts a little to sit straight up does it really matter if your shoulder is an inch shorter? and were you saying its going to be 12 weeks before i can ride hard core again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeh that hurts a little to sit straight up does it really matter if your shoulder is an inch shorter? and were you saying its going to be 12 weeks before i can ride hard core again?
    one inch shorter could be a problem if your acromium "scratches" your ribs but it isn't the problem. Another problem is that all your shirts will be one inch too long on one arm, so far i haven't noticed.

My crash was 10 weeks ago, im riding very carefully this may be because my collarbone healed superposed. That's not a problem, the collarbone is a very uniq bone, but i think it takes more time to heal superposed. For me is just XC now.

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    You might want to try this stuff called bone builder. It has a lot of good minerals and vitamins that help rebuild bones really fast. You can find it at any health food store. I broke my hand over the summer and took this stuff with the combination of drinking lots of milk and eating good protien foods and it healed a lot faster than the dock said it would. Of course it would have healed even sooner if I didn't ride on it and then crash before it was completely healed. But hey, what can I say?

mtbr member
    I've been lurkin' this site for a while now and after seeing this thread i hadta join up and say Damn gtbikesalltheway! That x-ray looks a lot like mine! I busted my left collar bone on sat the 22nd of Jan. Dropped a 10 footer and pulled up waaaaaay too much (probably shouldn't have even pulled up at all but I'm still getting used to my bike...). Landed ridin' a wheelie on a steep arse incline and when i got my front down, i hit a bump and my feet lost my pedals and i went supermannin' it to my left side. Knocked silly for about 45 secs.... Atleast that is what I have been told about it...I don't remember a damn thing about it except after I came to. It's on film somewhere but I haven't seen it yet--got to track it down soon though cause I wanna see it.

Also, been wonderin' if a pressure suit would've protected my collar bone area very well had I been wearing one...? Off to search a bit..

-Ferg-

mtbr member
    YES!!! I got somebody to join. Your crash sounds a lot coller than mine though dang it

Magic Man

Pressure Suit

Quote Originally Posted by theferg
    I've been lurkin' this site for a while now and after seeing this thread i hadta join up and say Damn gtbikesalltheway! That x-ray looks a lot like mine! I busted my left collar bone on sat the 22nd of Jan. Dropped a 10 footer and pulled up waaaaaay too much (probably shouldn't have even pulled up at all but I'm still getting used to my bike...). Landed ridin' a wheelie on a steep arse incline and when i got my front down, i hit a bump and my feet lost my pedals and i went supermannin' it to my left side. Knocked silly for about 45 secs.... Atleast that is what I have been told about it...I don't remember a damn thing about it except after I came to. It's on film somewhere but I haven't seen it yet--got to track it down soon though cause I wanna see it.

Also, been wonderin' if a pressure suit would've protected my collar bone area very well had I been wearing one...? Off to search a bit..

-Ferg-
    I had an A-C separation about a year ago cuz I flipped over my bars going really fast. I had a P-suit on, and I think that's what kept it from breaking. It ended up just being a slight separation. Still hurt like hell, made my shirts fit big, joint makes hella noise, and still have a lot of muscle tissue to build. Eric Carer gave me a signed jersey though. Ha Ha Ha. My injury was nowhere nere as bad as the dudes mentioned earlier...that is some serious damage.
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

jump, crash, and roll
    yesturday I tried jumping over a 2 foot rail and I had way to much speed and my back tire clipped it sending me over the bars into the grass landing on my shoulder and head. I ended up breaking and seperating my collar bone.
    Dont worry Ive got 9 arms, 1 leg- Femur= 1/2 body cast for 12 weeks, it sucked, femur got snapped by handlebar.
    + ive got countless fingers, and 1 collar bone under my belt, youll, get better, and get back to riding soon, hope you feel better,
    ps do what the doc says, it helps
    dont move it excessivly, itll hurt more and be worse in the long run.
    get well soon,
    Steven Flathers
    Steven Flathers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast