mtbr member

Acl Wisdom Please?

I'm going in on Thursday 17th for an ACL replacement using an autograft from my hamstring. I got a lot of early season riding in on my SS so my legs are strong. My summer season is out! I'm looking for recovery advice/wisdom...etc????
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Excellent site with everything from orthopedic surgeons, trainers, physical therapists and researchers weighing in along with LOTS of ACLs in recovery !

http://factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    had the exact same procedure done (auto/hammy) about 16 months ago. it's a bit of a long road back, but you'll definately get there. make sure PT becomes a priority! hit it hard. the exercise bike will become a very good friend during the first few months.

i was back on my bike (roadie) probably 4-5 months afterwards. back on my mtb maybe 6 months later. again, it's a long road, but if you put the effort in PT, you may find your operated leg feels better/stronger than your non-operated leg!

anyway, yet another useful website i found (and still frequent) is...
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=16

anyways, best of luck! you'll be fine! feel free to drop a line if you have other questions.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the good links! This is day three...not nearly as painful as the first night.
    Couchbound and going crazy already...

mtbr member
    Oops girlfriend left her profile open. That last one is from me.
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've had two done like that (three total), and recovery is not fun. But don't get discouraged and stick with the PT. Patience is your best friend following these surgeries. Push yourself hard, but don't push to fast. The more you put into recovery, the more you'll get out in the end. And like someone else said, your "bad" knee will probably end up even stronger than the "good" one. Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm almost 3 mo. into my 2nd ACL recovery. I had the patella tendon graft and I just went on my first easy trail ride over the weekend. I think I'll wait for a bit longer to hit things again. Just as everyone has said put 110% into PT and then keep the momentum going in the gym. Your quad strength will eventually come back as will the stability. Once your strength starts to return then you just have to get though the phase were you want to get out there and rip it up, but patients is key... As I said riding felt good but one crash and you would be in deep... well lets just say you'd be off the single track.

mtbr member
    ME TOO!!
    I'm 4 days out of hospital and started doing the basic excercises as shown by the physio. 6 days till the post Op review, and I eexpect shed the splint and crutches. Got a trainer ready for the bike, hear that is in about 4-6 weeks time?

My plan is to write off this year offroad on the MTB, and back to it January 09.

Anyone got any suggestions on knee protection? Seen whats on offer, but does anything really work well, ie good protection + comfortable?

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    I use the Kyle Strait 661 Knee pads...I like em!
    I'm now two weeks out and down to 1 crutch and will lose that soon. Working hard! Pain is gone now its just weak and shaky...Hang in there ripper.That first week was the worst!
    CruisenSurly

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    i had pretty much everything replaced in my knee and let me tell you... physical therapy is really key. put everything you can into it and take it real easy with the riding. i'd probably ease back into it after a few months of PT with a roadie on flat ground for a while cos after these procedures even granny gears are challenging.

mtbr member
    How often is the need to go to PT? Once a week? The excersises you do at home so it just an overview to make sure you are doing the excercises right, or do they physically check ya knee?
    Thanks for the info on the 661 pads, they look good to me and won't break the bank!!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I think in the beginning the PT is VERY important! They can help a lot more than just showing you the exercises. The electro machine that gets your quad muscle pulsing is super beneficial in helping your muscles remember how to fire when your brain tells it to. I'm doing PT twice a week for the time being. I'm sure that will decrease after the first month.....I'm off the crutches!! I'm doing several sessions of my exercises a day and I think today or tomorrow I may be able to make a full cycle on my trainer. I think the first time i go all the way around it will be backwards, forwards seems much harder.
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had this Sx last year. All I did for three days was sit with an egg timer, and every 20 minutes I did my exercises, then ice, then exercises then ice. I was walking the next day, out of the brace in 10 days, and riding in 2 months road, 4 months mountain. Do the rehab like it's your job (a job that you like anyway). You should be doing the home exercises they gave you at the hospital from day one. Most scar tissue processes will start within the first 7 days of immobility.

mtbr member
    Man that was dedication...an egg timer!!
    But you have got the rewards by the sound of it, 4 months and back on the MTB, amazing.
    I have read and been told by the guru the graft may be a bit tender at that stage and prone to damage, even though if the knee feels very strong.
    I've succombed to the 1st January 09 theory when I get the bike back onto the dirt. I could not bear to go thru this again by rushing it. It's gonna be hard though....

Thanks for the info though, good stuff.
    Meet the PT again in 4 days when I go back for the post Op visit. Hopefully ditch the cruthes and brace. The PT at the hospital was a stunner, but a real impatient, rude cow. This could be an interesting experience!! (for both of us)!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went for the allograft. The harvest site whether it be the hamstring or patellar ligament, is a longer rehab then the acl surgery itself. That's one reason why my rehab we so short. I was running up and down stairs in four weeks. Plus it helps when you are a doctor trained in rehab.

mtbr member
    I have read of the Allograft, but my guru now only usues the hamstring graft. I also read about the LARS technique which has been around for some time, but I read something about either not approved or allowed in the US. This technique uses some sort of synthetic material instead of the usual tendons.
    http://www.corin.co.uk/s_productslig...20Knee%20Joint
    There is a high profile story on a footballer playing in Sydney who has had the LARS job done and they are seeing if he can be back on the field playing AFL in about 3 months after the Op. Very interesting...
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showth...=417431&page=3