mtbr member
    Jul 2014

ACL/Meniscus Injury Help

10 years ago I ruptured my ACL and lateral meniscus. I did not undergo surgery because of no insurance and being young and stupid to not search out other options. I work on my feet as a bartender and the pain in the knee is really just mild. Biking is truly the only thing that makes the knee feel amazing.

There are a couple of pain issues arising lately that are making me consider surgery again. I'm 38 years old and plan to ride for 25 more years at least.

Is there anyone out there that lives with the ACL/Meniscus injury in our sport like I do? If so can you share your experiences?

I'd also appreciate any other advice on the topic of this knee injury. It's been getting me a bit depressed lately that I have this old injury I need to deal with.

Thanks all for responses. You'll be a great help.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Coqueto View Post
    10 years ago I ruptured my ACL and lateral meniscus. I did not undergo surgery because of no insurance....
    Do you have insurance now??? IF so get the surgery!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Surgery is usually best with these cases. A 10 yr wait probably caused more harm. The sooner your dr fixes those tears the better. I had an excellent dr and my knee is pretty damn good! Its never going to be 100% again, but I'm pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am 40. Just tore my ACL while snowboarding this year. Completely popped out and would pop out randomly while walking. It was a no-brainer for me to get the surgery ASAP. Have never had knee injuries before. I've skateboarded since I was 13 so I was happy to not have knee problems prior.

The surgery was no problem ... the recovery tho ... is LONG. I was off of work for 2 weeks. Seems long, but looking back I was glad I was off that long. Was my left knee, so I COULD have driven, but getting into a car was tough. Bending and moving the leg is rough during that time.

I did 4 months of physical therapy at 3 times a week. I had full range quickly, but lost muscle quick. Took 3 months before I was able to jog.

I'm now at almost 5 months and am on a bike and doing single track. Not completely back , but I'd say it's about 90% on the bad leg. Still hurts and gets stiff if I don't keep moving it.

I was advised not to do ANYTHING tough in the first 3 months. It's STILL healing during that time and it's at it's weakest. Was told that 6 months should be feeling good. And fully 100% after a year.

So be prepared to be off of it for an extended amount of time. Do as much PT as you can get. Get your leg straight as soon as possible after the surgery.

I plan to ride and snowboard and skateboard until I physically can't any more. What ever age that will be!