mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Achilles pain? What's the cause?

So, I've recently started putting some saddle time in after a long time off. I was running in the mean time, but the running was hard on my shin splints.

I'm doing more miles per ride than I ever had in the past. Still not a lot when compared to what others are doing, but currently doing 15-20 mile rides on average for the last 2 or 3 weeks. You can see what I've been doing on Strava if you look up nick larsen in san jose. I just started my account when I started biking again a couple of weeks ago.

Anyways, my achilles tendon has really been bothering me. It's sore, not anything I can't push through, but really makes walking/riding uncomfortable. Especially noticeable on my left, but every once in a while I feel it a little in my right.

Anyone else ever experience this? Is there something that could be causing this other than I'm out of shape and my body is protesting?

I could go back to running, but at the 4 mile mark, my shins really make the rest of the run uncomfortable...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Over 100 views, 4 days, and noone has any idea? Nobody ever experience anything similar? No Dr.'s that might have an opinion?

mtbr member
    Eccentric strengthing/stretching is the mainstay of nonop treatment for Achilles tendonitis. Without analyzing your strava data you probably started doing too much too soon and now are paying the price. Back off some, do some rehab and slowly build back up.
    Last edited by kinsler; 09-25-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Kid disguised as an adult
    Just my $.02 based on personal experience, but I think "pushing through it" probably isn't a good idea if you're having tendon pain. I had some Achilles pain in 2006, didn't listen to my body and wound up in a walking cast for 12 weeks and went through 2 months of physical therapy before it calmed down. From what I was told, tendons take a long time to heal because they don't get as much blood flow as other tissues, and continuing to use them just prolongs the recovery time. Worst case scenario would be a ruptured tendon, which requires surgical repair and a recovery time measured in many months.
    My physical therapist showed me some taping techniques to support my Achilles tendon and now I do it before every ride. I buy athletic tape by the case, but I haven't had any more major flare ups.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    Get a foam roller and roll out your calf muscles and take it easy, tendons and ligaments do take a while to heal up, but i suspect tightness in your upper calf has been nagging at your Achilles... Look up foam rolling techniques and self massage, works wonders for your legs and usually when you think the pain is in a certain spot (center of muscle, ligament, etc) it's actually tightness along the muscular chain (usually on either end) that is pulling it and causing inflammation. On a side note, if you do work running back in, look up 'chi running' 'pose running' or 'barefoot running technique' will do wonders for shin splints if you're a heel striker