Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)

495K views 1K replies 376 participants last post by  weevie 
#1 ·
I Recently Went Down Hard And Suffered A Grade 3 Shoulder Separation. I Am 5 Weeks Into This Injury And I Am Treating It Conservitively (non-surgical). It Is Very Frustrating Being That You Would Think This Injury Should Be Repaired Through Surgery But All The Doctors Are Telling Me To Leave It Alone And Physical Therapy It. I Am Also An Active Weight Lifter. I Used To Bench Press 340lbs And Now I A Struggle With 50lbs. I Know It's Only 5 Weeks Into The Injury But I Am Not Sure Where I Should Be At As Far As Lifting Weights And What's The Road Ahaed Of Me Going To Be Like Being That Is Being Treated Non-surgical. Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!!

#805 ·
Day six from a grade 3 , I'm a freak of nature it seems.
I already almost have full range of motion, can do self assisted push ups , yesterday and today I did the elliptical and then today decided to try my pump track, all good. I spent 20 mins pump tracking hard and only had one twang or twinge in the shoulder, unbelievable.

I have been icing 4 times daily and hitting my Infar Red sauna, along with doing anything that doesn't hurt it (much) like mowing the lawn etc.
Lucky lucky so far....

I'm considering doing a bunch of fire road climbs tomorrow on day 7 with green difficulty descents.

My guess is that I already blew this shoulder 10-15 years ago playing rugby or mtb and that why it's healing so fast?
I hope it continues on healing with no set backs, common sense and listening to my pain is key. Will update weekly or as anything occurs

Happy healing to all.

#806 ·
I should say that day one an 2 were hell , full of pain , I dropped the sling on day 3 and things started to improve, by day 4 I could brush my teeth, by day 5 I could spike my hair.
My gut feeling is that I'm a fluke, and that perhaps ice and sauna (infrared ) are a super great combo for healing.

Healing vibes to all

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    64.8 KB Views: 202
#807 · (Edited)
Hi all, first off, I am not a biker, but after searching and reading all these posts, I figure I may have something to contribute and maybe someone else could help with what happened to me. I have a grade 2-3 AC tear, small bicept tendenosis and labrum tears. I did not get them from impact and I did not feel pain for at least 2 months. I am a kiteboarder and took a month long kite trip to Brazil. To say the sport is intense is an understatement. I lost 35 lbs in that one month simply from kiting.

I do not know why I did not feel pain. A picture during that time shows that I have a huge bump but I thought it was just my bone showing since I lost so much weight. About 2 months later, I wake up in pain…probably slept on it wrong, or snapped it during sleep. That hurt a bunch and of course I did the stupid thing and went on another kite trip. Did a few sessions, and I was done…too much pain.

I am 40 years old and pretty fit. I did not have surgery because of all the before mentioned comments. It is now 8 months after the injury. I have just had my 2nd round of PRP shots. Previously I have had prolotherapy, PRP, lots of PT, and 2 MRI's. The recent MRI showed zero improvement. PT started with rage of motion. Initially was unable to raise hand above head. Now, I have full range of motion and 1 week ago was able to do 4 full pushups. Nowhere near where I used to be, but it's a start. Pain is mostly gone with the exception of a few workouts. Think the AC is the best it has been in awhile and now I can feel the pain the torn labrum caused, but that too is low now. What amazes me is that most of you guys are recovered or out riding after 3-8 weeks. 3-8 weeks into it I was devastated!! Everyone does heal at different times, but that's huge. I had vey limited kiting sessions with approval of my PT this month. My shoulder was fine, but my body told me my muscles weren't developed enough to handle the stress. Will have to build to it. I do not foresee me being where I was for another few months, so overall, it looks like a full year of recovery. Anyone take this long? Maybe I should have went with surgery. Maybe its not too late. Like you all, I am very passionate about my sport and need to be 100%, not 90%.

Has anyone else developed the AC tear over time without pain? I did read about that one guy who did pull-ups afterwards. Has anyone else taken this long to heal? Even at 40 y.o., a full year seems damn excessive.

I have done 3-5 day sessions of PT for a few weeks…but am also concerned that that does not allow the muscles to rebuild. Any input?

Hope you all get back to 100%

BTW, the 2nd MRI sowed no improvement at all. So, if there is no regrowth of ligaments, why do we feel better?..and is it just as prone to injury now? Yes, the muscles stabilize the joints and rebuilding them makes them stronger, but you still have torn ligaments. Inflamation causes pain. I take Triflex and Wheat grass everyday now. Will I have to work out to this level to continue to keep my muscles from degrading in hopes to be active for the rest of my life?...we'll see.

PS..in response to my question about doing PT with pain and whether or not its beneficial, my PT found this article. It was extremely helpful and kickstarted my PT:

Ligament Injury and Healing: An Overview of Current Clinical Concepts - Journal of ProlotherapyJournal of Prolotherapy

#808 ·
I don't mountain bike but snowboard faithfully, got 115 days in this season before my season ending injury. This thread has been extremely helpful to me throughout the process of my Separated shoulder so I promised myself I would post here.

I had A high grade 1 separation on my right shoulder in the beginning of january snowboarding in whistler, and after about a month I was back to normal like I never even did it. On April 20th I really did my right shoulder in with a grade 3 separation snowboarding yet again. Initially I was in shock and thought I dislocated as I felt a huge bump on my shoulder, went down to the park and felt extremely nauseous, and almost fainted. Went to the doctor and gave me a sling, wore it for 3 days than got rid of it. It hurt like a ***** but not excruciating pain and only took t3s for the first 3 days at night to help sleep. During the first week I did lots of meditation to help keep myself calm and not go crazy. After week 1 I was at 50% range of motion and had a little bit of strength, couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder. 2-3 week went to PT(only time I went cause I don't have insurance, got a bunch of ROM excercises, was told to do as strength training within my pain threshold) I started on the stationary bike almost everyday to keep blood flowing, and did ROM exercises faithfully everyday. Also went to the hot tub after working out, and would Ice/ heat about 2 times a day( always after I worked out) when I got home. Week 4-6,100% ROM by now, started doing light yoga( able to do downward dog without pain) Strength training exercises (mostly with bands and light weights). Back to normal weight from before injury with bicep curls. My gf gave me acupuncture 4 times which really helped to ease the pain around back, neck, shoulder. Now I am in week 7 and am pretty much normal with everyday activities, I still can't sleep on the shoulder for more than 10 minutes without a dead/ arthritic feeling. I get the occasional twinge when I do an awkward movement and also it cracks like crazy when i'm doing random stuff. I am glad I choose the non-op route, Only thing I would've done different was if I had coverage PT at least once A week, also Osteopath does wonders (couldn't afford it at 120 an hour), massage therapy also. It has been a long tedious process but being patient and having a positive outlook makes the process way easier.

Age- 23 years old- Bump on shoulder also went down a little bit (lucky i have pretty broad shoulders so not to noticeable) very noticeable when I cross my shoulders or lay on my left side it sticks out like crazy.
Supplements- D3, Zinc, fish oil, Chondroitin and Glucosomene with MSM

I will post an update at weeks 8-12

#809 ·
Well, at almost 5 weeks post-op (Arthrex Dog Bone procedure) for level III separation with considerable displacement I've ditched the sling (I know, I know...wear the sling 24/7 for six weeks...but it was just not needed anymore after one month post-op...I've just restricted movement of the arm and don't reach overhead, out or too far to the side).
I'm waiting another week before I start active rehab and strengthening exercises. I probably could ride the road bike right now for shorter distances but I'm not going to push it that far.

All and all I'm completely satisfied with my decision to have surgery. In another month I'll be "good as new" and the injury will just be an unpleasant memory.

#810 ·
I just stumbled on this thread today, and I am so glad I did. I'm 44, drive a desk professionally, and I am an avid recreational MTBr in the spring/summer/fall, and downhill skier in the winter. I could not be more disappointed to be off my bike with a level 3 separation. I saw the Orthopedic doctors at Columbia Presbyterian, who come highly regarded in their field, and they said to give it 8 weeks of therapy and see were I stand before thinking about surgery.

I went down on June 14th. The pain was pretty intense for the first 36 hours, but I quickly transitioned of the pain killers and rested for 3 days working from home. I started PT on June 19th and am going 3x per week. So far, things are going pretty good. ROM today is much better than was expected per the PT and far ahead of what he typically sees.

As such, the PT has cleared me to drop the sling and is encouraging me to get a brace to help pull my shoulders back and push the bone down. Has anyone had an experience with these braces and can make a recommendation? He did not have one in mind, but was going to research it.....

#811 ·
So many Grade IIIs!! I had a grade V about 6 years ago. Last thing I remember was throwing my leg over the demo Moots I was test riding. Next thing I remember was wandering in the middle of the trail and being brought back up to the trailhead by some fellow riders, that also happened to be off-duty Colorado police officers!!

Had surgery and 6 years on have absolutely zero problems! They had to put screws in, and took those out at around 8-10 weeks if memory serves.

Rock on!!

#812 ·
Hey everyone! Hope everybodys shoulders are healing up well!

I have a question about my injury. I messed up a good jump at the Canyons last thursday and ended up hitting my shoulder pretty hard. The day it happened I could move my arm outwards and a little forward but would feel pain and lifting it over my head was out of the question. A few days later after icing it and applying heat occasionally I could move my arm pretty good with just a little bit of mild pain/tightness in certain spots.

would now be the time to start getting back to my daily GOLF regiment. Im not talking about hitting a ton of balls at the range but easing back into chips and pitches and in to full swings.

Is it right to think that I dont want to be too static with the shoulder?

#813 ·
Obviously the correct answer is you should check with your doctor. That said, my PT has been guiding me to use pain as my guide. If it hurts, DON'T do it. The thing to remember is that ligaments take a very long time to heal (6 to 18 months) and your joint will be in a weakened position until you've had time to strengthen the muscles around the joint. After ~2.5 weeks form my Level 3+ separation, the swelling has gone, bruising has cleared, and most of the pain has subsided. What I am noticing now is stability is compromised. While I think I can make a near full recovery with a pretty major lump on my shoulder, I am beginning to question if "near full" will be full enough for the active lifestyle with active, sports oriented little kids I want to resume. We'll see with the ortho says next week.....

#814 ·
L84Beer....dont wait...just my suggestion, but I am SERIOUSLY FRUSTRATED that no one told me 8-9 months ago, that I will not get back to a very active lifestyle withour surgery. I went to 2 dr's and a PT...they all seem tobe programmed to tell you to do it without surgery. I say, seriously consider surgery. Granted, I had a combo (AC tear, SLAP tear and Bicept tendenosis), but in my opinion, just wasted 8-9months of not being able to kiteboard!!!...and now will probably end up down for another 8-9 months if I opt for surgery...or just keep trying without the ability to do my sport. Not worth it. Good luck.

#815 ·
Tanre, sorry to hear your recovery has been challenging. I've been combing these posts for a few days, even going back to the beginning, and what I am seeing pretty clearly is the surgery/no surgery option is controversial.

Like you, I desperately want to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible. Today I am 25 days post injury and the pain is virtually gone, except sharp pains I get every once in a while on top of the joint while I'm trying to feed myself or talk on the phone--weird. From days 5 to 20 I would experience some pretty intense cramping in my shoulder blade, particularly when I do small motor skills like preparing guacamole, or standing holding a drink. Days 20 to 25 were a mix of cramping in the shoulder blade, or a couple of days where the whole shoulder would just get very tight, like a cramp, but around the whole shoulder.

When this happens, it feels like I need to manipulate my shoulder to realign the bones to take away the impingement. I have not figured out the magic manipulation to realign things and wish I could.

I'm willing to give this 2 months to see where I'm at on the non-surgical route, but I want to make sure I don't screw up my ski season. I feel like I could get back on the bike to do some light trail riding, but unfortunately most of the trails around here are fairly technical, so I don't want to chance it until I've seen the doctor next Wednesday.

I could accept a near full recovery, if I could ride a bike on our technical terrain, ski aggressively, and probably more concerning, throw a ball and swing a bat with my kids who are competitive baseball players and otherwise athletic kids. I've read about some success and struggles with throwing both with and without the surgery, further complicating the decision.

Trying to stay positive, and motivate to stay active and eat healthy are my biggest challenges right now.....staying active is constrained by the shoulder, eating too much is my downfall when I have setbacks like this.....

#819 ·
An update for the forum:

I am 2 years out from my Grade III from a high speed road bike crash and slide into a curb. No surgery was recommended and things are good, not 100%, but better than I expected. Overall I would say 95% recovered but I'm unlikely to ever get to 100% only because the scapula is not in the same place as it used to be and this provides for some weird sensations. Range of motion is 90%, only limit is touching my opposite shoulder blade. The bump certainly isn't going away and it's pretty weird to be able to move it by pressing on it.

Here are some details:
I was 37 2 years ago when I get hurt, so 39 now. Mostly I'm a rock climber who MTB and road bikes on the side, which if you climb you will understand the frustration with hurting yourself engaged in a non-climbing activity.
The Weill-Cornell surgeon group here in NYC did an MRI and diagnosed the grade 3 separation and suggested PT. I did 12 weeks of band, weight, hand cycle and table pushup PT, which was useful and kept me on a recovery schedule. I didn't continue with PT after the 12 weeks, but did light iron and ROM at the gym every week.

A return to climbing took 2 months, and there was still some pain and clicking with certain motions. After 2 years I am back to bouldering V6 and toproping 5.12 at the gym, though I won't even try certain shoulder intensive moves like steep gastons. Crack and vertical face climbing is OK.

It took a full year until I could sleep on my side without pain and a full year until I could pull up on MTB bars hard enough to clear larger obstacles larger than curbs. MTB seems 100% now, but I am much more cautious and that's less fun. Road biking is totally fine.

I can throw a baseball with no issues, swing the arm around, pump light iron at the gym, do pullups, and carry pretty heavy objects. Pushups don't feel great. But mostly I'm grateful to climb and bike with no pain.

Hiking with a heavy pack (45lbs) is a little challenging as the strap slips off my clavicle onto the AC joint and that kind of hurts. I still do it weekly because it's fun to hike with a toddler on your back. I run sometimes and can feel the shoulder then becuase of all the bouncing.

In summary, you can call me satisfied. The nagging clavicle 'sensations' and occasional clicks have gotten a lot less intrusive in year 2 and I can do what I want in sports. Once my kid gets older and doesn't need to be picked up every 5 minutes I would consider surgery if pain returned or there was some long-term deterioration happening.

#820 ·
Palmasi...Great to hear that you are back to somewhat of a good routine. I too am recovering, but I have some serious disdain for professionals who look at your lifestyle and tell you to go the conservative route. Im doing the same now. Yes, I have kiteboarded 3 times, but only at 1.3rd the capacity.... I wish dr's would've been honest with us in the beginning and told us that as athletic people, we will not recover without surgery. Post in 2 more years and let us know if you are in the same health as someone post op after 12 months.

#821 ·
This thread is giving me hope. Suffered a Grade 3 this past Friday. Sleeping is the worst. Clearly, time healing is the main factor. Being 63 y.o. and an apparently bad MTBer isn't the greatest combo. Too bad my otherwise awesome bike lacks air bags and a seat belt.

#823 ·
3+ last Wednesay.
First two days were bad.
Saw the Surgeon yesterday. She said I was lucky. No damage to the Rotator Cuff. Surgery probably not necessary.
Home PT and ice. Getting some ROM back. Pain is starting to lesson. (Only Motrin once in a while.) Also 60+ years old...

I'll check back in a week.

(Next, I'm going to check on some armour...)

#822 ·
5 weeks post crash (yesterday) and I have full range of motion and no pain. I would estimate the strength is somewhere between 30% and 65% of what it should be, depending on the type and direction of the exertion. I can see why many people pass through a Level 3 without any surgery.

However, my shoulder is very unstable (or at least I am very in tune with the instability) as the head of the humerus passes forward and under the clavicle with certain movements like hitting a ball off a racket. I also periodically pinch the clavicle and head of the humerus when I do simple mundane tasks like talk on the phone, which is moderately painful but painful enough for me to cut most calls short. I am a fairly active 44 year old in reasonable shape. Beyond biking in the summer/fall and skiing in the winter/spring, I want to be able to swing a baseball bat, through a softball, play golf, and be able to control a racket. As such, my doctor and I have concluded I am a good candidate for the surgery. While the published research of a controlled set of common every day tasks suggests there is no difference between surgical and non-surgical routes 2 years post, I believe there likely would be a difference between how two athletes (think rock climbers or baseball players) would report their rock climbing abilities two year post for the surgical and non-surgical routes.

Could I recover without the surgery; sure, I guess if I was content to give up or limit myself materially in many of the activities I love--but I don't think I am. Surgery is scheduled for August 13th, with the hope I will be fully cleared to start my ski season late December/early January.

The only reservation I have is the potential for re-injury in skiing and mountain biking in particular.....

#824 ·
My AC Separation Story

This threads usefulness has compelled me to also share my story. July 18th, Grade 3 separation from bad crash at mile 32 of the High Cascades 100. Managed to finish the race so was optimistic maybe I didn't do too much damage, Although the giant knob on my shoulder told me otherwise.

An ER visit along with the diagnosis of 3 different orthopedic doctors all confirmed a bad Grade 3. The uniform recommendation from all doctors was no surgery. This didn't sit well with me. Aside from the deformity, it seemed some effort should be made to fix the shoulder structurally.

I then began doing my own research as many above have done. One thing I noted was that you do have more options if you act in the acute stage of the injury (first 4weeks). So the advice that you lose nothing by waiting to see how it heals is not entirely correct.

I decided to have AC tightrope surgery arthroscopically. They surgery was performed 11 days from my injury so my own ligaments are expected to heal/reattach. I'm now 2 days post op and so relieved to be on the other side of this and to have the hope of a full recovery.

I'll update with my post surgery progress for the benefit of others who are trying to make the surgery / no surgery decision. Good healing thoughts go out to everyone who has had to deal with this injury.

#826 ·
I'm so glad to find this thread!

I dislocated and separated my shoulder last week falling off a stupid skills park obstacle. Crazy amounts of pain - taken to hospital in an ambulance and given truckloads of morphine.

I've had my gallbladder removed and given birth twice, and the pain from this was right up there.

One week later I have very little ROM and still crazy amounts of pain. Seeing the orthopaedic surgeon next week to look at options in terms of surgery vs non-surgery. GP wasn't sure of the separation/grade - definitely a 3+, maybe a 4 or 5.

Good to see some recovery stories. I just want to get back on the bike!

Medical radiography Joint X-ray Radiography Radiology

#827 ·
10 week post surgery update for Grade 3 suffered mid March 2015 at age 55.

My shoulder got infected with staph immediately after surgery that I was battling for 9 weeks before removing the infected hardware and will now let the shoulder heal naturally. The MD team did not catch the infection until 20 days after the surgery despite obvious symptoms of chills, fever, pain and swelling in the surgical area. I lost over 10 lbs in 10 days fighting this infection with 102+ fevers before finally getting on antibiotics. I never had staph and rarely get sick. Initially, I really did even pay attention to the chills and mild fevers. Just continued working, etc. thinking it’s all part of the healing process until later in the cycle when the fevers and pain got real bad.

I highly recommend that anyone considering surgery ensures their MD triples all the necessary precautions to prevent staph. That means pre/post opp antibiotics, testing you for staph (simple nasal test), etc. If artificial components are being used then make certain there are no natural alternatives from either a cadaver or harvested from your body. If the hardware (i.e. screws, etc) gets infected with staph you are screwed because the antibiotics can’t kill staph once it attaches to the hardware. Staph is everywhere: gyms, airplanes, on your skin, etc. Avoid any post surgery activities that generate sweat until the incision is completely healed.

Fortunately, my shoulder looks normal (i.e. no bump, even with my other shoulder) after the hardware removal and is very strong. I continued to do self-PT and run/bike during this entire ordeal: 3 surgeries (initial, cleanse/debridement, removal) and multiple antibiotic treatments (oral and IV). The surgery excised the tip of my clavicle so it longer digs into the deltoid/acromion area; a major annoyance when paddling, throwing, swimming. The hardware held the clavicle in place for 10 weeks allowing the scar tissue to develop and I am hopeful it will permanently hold this position. I will stick with a safe regiment of high cardio and PT exercises that do not pull the clavicle for at least 2 more months allowing the scar tissue to continue reinforcing this position.

Found this in a medical journal. Guidelines seem accurate based on my experience.

For Surgery

Youth (or middle agers like me who still think/act young cuz I have young athletes to raise)
Athletic pursuit—particularly throwing sports (mandatory as my kids play football, basketball and baseball)
Manual occupation (nope)
Dominant side (?? - type A? then perhaps)
Joint very unstable anteroposteriorly and vertically (yes particularly with high frequency overhead motion like swimming, paddling, etc.)
Clavicle lying subcutaneously (yep, thin skinned)
Prefer a scar (vs a bump??? - no brainer!)
Thin patient (yep)
Reliable enough to take part in postoperative program (overly active - how I got the injury in the first place)

Against Surgery

Sedentary life-style
Nondominant side
Joint relatively stable
Overlying muscle
Prefer a bump
Thick subcutaneous fat
Unreliable patient (alchohol, drugs, mental subnormaliry)

#830 ·
I figured I would provide an update for anyone else, who like me is following recovery stories and trying to decide between surgical and non-surgical routes for a Level 3 separation. I was scheduled for surgery for August 13th, which was ~9 weeks post crash. After consulting with with another orthopedic friend of mine, and my bike mechanic, I came away with the feeling that I will be completely fine and perhaps better off going the non-surgical route. My decision to "indefinitely post-pone" surgery was based on the following:
- My orthpedic (hip specialty) friend informed me that surgery comes with risks (i.e. nerve damage, infection, allograft rejection, etc), albeit small
- Full recovery would take 4 to 6 months with significant physical limitations for 8 weeks
- Orthopedic friend's brother-in-law suffered a level 3 playing hockey 6 months ahead of me and recovered 100%
- Risk of re-injury is relatively high, given my active lifestyle. Re-injury could be problematic because the clavicle bone is weakened by the holes drilled in it.
- My bike mechanic had the same injury about 10 years ago and is totally fine, except for the cosmetic lump
- The bike mechanic has gone back down on the same shoulder without sustaining major re-injury--the tears were slightly worse as a result, recovery was quick, functionality is full
- While I can't confirm the statistic, I heard that ~70% of NHL players have had an AC separation and ~0% have had surgery to repair it
- Studies suggest that surgical and non-surgical cases experience the same rebound in functionality and outcome (although I personally believe this may be misleading because it doesn't control for "all" activities. i.e. I would want to see a study comparing groups rock climbers, tennis players, athletes in general at their respective sports)
- My functionality continues to improve, any pain is very manageable, and I can do virtually anything I want to do. Throwing a ball (ie. baseball, softball, football) are all possible, but probably only back to ~65% of what I was able to do before)

There is a significant part of me that wishes I had forced the surgical route immediately, so as to avoid the "double" recovery periods. However, I would still be very concerned about the risks of re-injury, especially given the clavicle would be compromised. Changing out the lump for a scar [immediately] after the injury and likely having functionality that would be at least as good, if not better, than the non-surgical route may have been a preferable path.

If you're new to the level 3 injury and in the very early days post injury, I suggest researching the potential complications of re-injury post surgical route. If you can get comfortable with those risks, the surgical route may leave you with less 2nd guessing. At this point, I can attest that I probably don't "need" the surgery, and if I knew at the time of the injury what I know now, I would focus on the re-injury risk. If I were able to get comfortable with that, I would most likely have the surgery.

#831 ·
Hi guys and gals
I have just been told i have a grade 2 AC seperation, typing in asling now and seeing specialist on Tuesday.
My question is regarding after it gets better and im back on the bike, im concerned with loss of confidence and reinjuring even from a minor tumble.
anyone had experience with some sort of shoulder protection, don't want Armour as i only do trail riding. anyone used these or something similar do you think they would help with minor bumps etc Exo Ss Jacket - Black - Bike

#832 ·
I had a somewhat bad fall 2 weeks ago where my shoulder and cheekbone hit what I think was a rock. (I didn't really take notice as I got right up and shook it off, continued riding for a few hours without any issues.

After a week of healing up the swelling I noticed that I couldn't even complete a single pushup, just staying in the top position of the move would hurt so much that I had to immediately get off my bad side.

My swelling is gone, as is the bruising, but whatever has gone wrong in there persists. The clavicle feels fine, but at the end of the clavicle; just about where the AC joint sits there's a tiny lump that's sore to the touch.

The movement of my arm isn't limited at all, I can do supported biceps curls, pullups (!), various rowing excercises and lat pulldowns. But benching, flies and rear delt work is all but impossible.

Any ideas what I hurt?
From researching online it's either a rotator cuff injury or the ac joint.

Going to the doc tomorrow to request a checkup and xrays either way so this is just me being curious.