Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wow this is a big thread. Must be a lot of us separating our shoulders eh?
    I separated my left, grade 3, on 4/10. No surgery needed (yet) according to the orthopedic surgeon.
    The weird thing is most of my pain is between my left shoulder blade and spine. I get sharp pain there, spasms, and tightness. In fact the other day it was so bad I could not work.
    Yes I have a bit of pain in my upper arm but mostly in the back. Is this common?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Rider View Post
    I separated my left, grade 3, on 4/10. No surgery needed (yet) according to the orthopedic surgeon.
    The weird thing is most of my pain is between my left shoulder blade and spine. I get sharp pain there, spasms, and tightness. In fact the other day it was so bad I could not work.
    Yes I have a bit of pain in my upper arm but mostly in the back. Is this common?
    Sounds like a pulled muscle, which I got badly after I suffered my grade 3. Think about it. Your in pain, swollen and under/over compensating for the damage. Your posture and upper back is all out of wack. Your spine probably looks like the chicanes at Monaco...

I wouldn't go near a chiro at the moment however. Sounds like muscle relaxer time!

Hope you feel better...
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Lots of ways for these injuries to manifest symptoms, but you wouldn't be a candidate for cardiac problems, would you?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't think I have cardiac problems. I am 47 and I'm in great shape, eat right, non-smoker, and have about 2 drinks a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Lots of ways for these injuries to manifest symptoms, but you wouldn't be a candidate for cardiac problems, would you?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingrob View Post
    Sounds like a pulled muscle, which I got badly after I suffered my grade 3. Think about it. Your in pain, swollen and under/over compensating for the damage. Your posture and upper back is all out of wack. Your spine probably looks like the chicanes at Monaco...

I wouldn't go near a chiro at the moment however. Sounds like muscle relaxer time!

Hope you feel better...
    What your saying makes sense. Forgot to add that at times my thumb and index finger tingle while other times my pinky and the finger next to it tingle. Most of the time I get a dull ache in my middle finger.

mtbr member
    What kind of work do you do? You should have your doc put you off for a few months, take the time to allow it to heal properly!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    What kind of work do you do? You should have your doc put you off for a few months, take the time to allow it to heal properly!
    I sell Toyota's. I really don't have to do any physical work other than stand, sit, walk.
    I saw my Orthopedic Surgeon and he said the back pain is not necessary the typical pain you get with the separation. I am getting an AMG test tomorrow and an MRI Wednesday, he thinks I may have a broken vertebrae or disc problem. Not fun.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    AC-3 Seperation + 3 cracked ribs (the ribs are all that hurt right now due to alot of bruising) on 4/10 ----
    A couple questions ... Is it strange that there was never any swelling to speak of and the pain was a 5 out of 10 in my shoulder?? I'm in the stage of being very cautious about everything/every move I do ---wearing the sling , doing everything possible to not prolong getting back on the bike which brings up the second question ..I finally got in to Leadville this year and am wondering what people think my chances are of being ok to start the race ? August 9th is the date....I'm no pro and never expected to "compete" other than to make the 12 hour cutoff and aside from any general fitness type inadequacies just wondering what people think ? Its about 12 weeks of recovery time.....
    Last edited by dbjohnso67; 05-16-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjohnso67 View Post
    AC-3 Seperation + 3 cracked ribs (the ribs are all that hurt right now due to alot of bruising) on 4/10 ----
    A couple questions ... Is it strange that there was never any swelling to speak of and the pain was a 5 out of 10 in my shoulder?? I'm in the stage of being very cautious about everything/every move I do ---wearing the sling , doing everything possible to not prolong getting back on the bike which brings up the second question ..I finally got in to Leadville this year and am wondering what people think my chances are of being ok to start the race ? August 9th is the date....I'm no pro and never expected to "compete" other than to make the 12 hour cutoff and aside from any general fitness type inadequacies just wondering what people think ? Its about 12 weeks of recovery time.....
    Hi John and welcome,

(I have an AC3 separation and opted not to have surgery)

At 4 weeks you should really have been out of the sling for a while (I was out of mine after a week). Limit picking up heavy items and raising your arm above your head or across your body.

My surgeon told me to start physio at 5 weeks which I did. By 8 weeks I rode a 50Km XC Race and finished it without incident whilst using a shoulder support brace.

By 12 weeks I felt pretty strong and I resumed doing my usual weightlifting programs starting very light weights. I think you will be fine with your race at 12 weeks just be careful not to crash.

Sticking to a good physio routine is key. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Hi John and welcome,

(I have an AC3 separation and opted not to have surgery)

At 4 weeks you should really have been out of the sling for a while (I was out of mine after a week). Limit picking up heavy items and raising your arm above your head or across your body.

My surgeon told me to start physio at 5 weeks which I did. By 8 weeks I rode a 50Km XC Race and finished it without incident whilst using a shoulder support brace.

By 12 weeks I felt pretty strong and I resumed doing my usual weightlifting programs starting very light weights. I think you will be fine with your race at 12 weeks just be careful not to crash.

Sticking to a good physio routine is key. Good luck.
    Thanks for response! Good you tell me which support brace you went with ? There are just so many to pick from and since you did a 50K in one your feedback is very valuable.

Thanks
    -Dean

mtbr member
    Ottobock - 5055 | Acro ComforT Shoulder Support

Very comfortable and durable. I wore it for first 4 weeks of riding now I am fine without it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ottobock - 5055 | Acro ComforT Shoulder Support

Very comfortable and durable. I wore it for first 4 weeks of riding now I am fine without it.
    Thanks for that. I'm looking for a brace, as well, and I know there are a whole lotta pretty nice-looking (and expensive) ones out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What your saying makes sense. Forgot to add that at times my thumb and index finger tingle while other times my pinky and the finger next to it tingle. Most of the time I get a dull ache in my middle finger.
    Those finger symptoms often relate to the cervical spine, and it's not uncommon to have neck and shoulder problems arise from a single trauma.
    Differential diagnosis in a case lie yours can be tricky.

Keep your eyes and your ears open at all times when going through the various medical hoops.
    Btw, I only mentioned cardiac because the symptom distribution pattern you described corresponds to some patterns of angina pectoris. I have no idea what your medical history is, your family history, etc. That's stuff that a SAVVY Primary should be on the ball about. But don't take it for granted that they are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone had AC surgery using the LockDown device? I have surgery next week, and it is one of the methods I have to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just went down yesterday, going to see a doctor today, but pretty certain ive got an AC separation. doesnt seem as bad as the grade III's ive heard about, I can reach overhead, have pretty good range of motion, can use my arm for most things, carry stuff, etc.. only hurts when i stretch it across my chest or stretch it over my head, or just put a lot of strain on it.

So hopefully this isnt as severe, anyone else have a similar case? what should recovery time look like?

mtbr member
    I'd say until you get the proper scans etc that you ice the shoulder and keep it in a sling.

At first after doing my ACJ grade 3 separation I thought it was nothing more than a sprain; I could lift my arms up etc without much discomfort and even the doc thought it was no big deal until I got the xrays and they put me in a sling right away.

Took me 8 weeks to get back on the MTB and another 4 weeks to feel strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd say until you get the proper scans etc that you ice the shoulder and keep it in a sling.

At first after doing my ACJ grade 3 separation I thought it was nothing more than a sprain; I could lift my arms up etc without much discomfort and even the doc thought it was no big deal until I got the xrays and they put me in a sling right away.

Took me 8 weeks to get back on the MTB and another 4 weeks to feel strong.
    I cant get into the doctor until Tuesday, so trying to do a bit of self-evaluation until then. I did go see a family friend/doc that gave me a quick and dirty X-ray, but he doesnt know shoulders at all, didnt know what to look for, or what position to x ray it in. anyway, he did both shoulders to compare, both shoulders pretty much look the same, the x rays were in slightly different positions so hard to tell for sure. definitely not an actual separation like some of the x rays ive seen.

I can steer my non power steering car with my bad arm, carry groceries, pick stuff up out of overhead cupboards, do girl pushups (too scared to try real ones yet) and the overhead stretch that hurt it on day 1 is now significantly better. i can pretty much use it like normal but with mild pain. only have sharp pain if i really stretch it or do fast jerky movements.

any recommendations on stretches/exercises to start with? ill probably give it today to rest some more, then start moving it around more tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Work you deltoids and rotator cuff. Don't do any exercises that make it click. After my 3rd degree separation I had to give up dips upright rowing and I couldn't do things like jumping jacks. That has kept it doing ok for 20 years. But now it has developed arthritis and needs a distal clavicle resection. But I can't even get in to see and orthopedic surgeon. I saw a NP a month ago and I have to wait another month to see a surgeon then wait 2 more months probably for surgery. It's ridiculous. I'm in so much pain that I can't use the arm. I can use it but if I do the pain gets so bad that I can't take it.

So I just want everyone to know that if you have a separation insist on getting surgery as soon as possible or you may have to suffer months of agony before you can get surgery to fix it when it gets arthritic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I am 2 weeks out of surgery and not feeling good! I woke up out of surgery not only with a sore shoulder but with a paralyzed left arm. Apparently the doctor either placed the clamps over my nerves during the surgery and put them to sleep or it might have something to do with the anesthesiologists...I am not sure and neither is my doctor...so basically I have a left arm that I cannot use as of right now. The doc failed to mention that this surgery could result in nerve damage. So now not only is my shoulder recovering but I have to wait and see if I get any feeling back in my left arm over the next few weeks. My shoulder is actually doing better than my arm. I have pain that shoots down from my shoulder to my finger tips because of the nerves and it sux. Makes me kinda regret getting the surgery. Apparently this is a rare thing so it only makes sense that it would happen to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaP84 View Post
    Well I am 2 weeks out of surgery and not feeling good! I woke up out of surgery not only with a sore shoulder but with a paralyzed left arm. Apparently the doctor either placed the clamps over my nerves during the surgery and put them to sleep or it might have something to do with the anesthesiologists...I am not sure and neither is my doctor...so basically I have a left arm that I cannot use as of right now. The doc failed to mention that this surgery could result in nerve damage. So now not only is my shoulder recovering but I have to wait and see if I get any feeling back in my left arm over the next few weeks. My shoulder is actually doing better than my arm. I have pain that shoots down from my shoulder to my finger tips because of the nerves and it sux. Makes me kinda regret getting the surgery. Apparently this is a rare thing so it only makes sense that it would happen to me.
    Get to a neurologist as soon as you can. Get many doctor opinions. There is a lot of incompetence in the medical profession. If a doc butchers you put a review up on ratemd so others will be warned.

mtbr member
    Although you probably can not move your arm much rite now you should have feeling back. I recently had open surgery on my shoulder for a rotator tear and they gave me a nerve block injection while I was out. When I woke I freaked out because the nerve block also numbed one side of my chest & I could hardly breathe!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got a MRI and I did a EMG nerve test the other day and they say that it is my radial nerve that is damaged and that it was probably caused by improper positioning during the surgery or they said the blood pressure cuff might have been to tight around my arm. So I am basically stuck waiting to see if the nerve will recover on its own. They say it could take 2-6 months. U know doctors spend all of their time in books and learning new ways of doing things in our advanced society that it just amazes me how little common sense they have so now I have to suffer for who knows how long because the doctor and his medical staff were to smart to realize a simple mistake. Very Frustrating!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Really late reply, but this should encourage anyone with this injury...

It healed back in place. I don't even remember when it happened, but for a long time now my clavicle has been back in place. I mean you'd never know it.

I mean, I had another minor problem with my shoulder, had X-rays, and the doc literally didn't believe I had a Grade III.

Not that my shoulder is perfect, maybe it's been 90% since the AC separation, but I'm just sayin' it's not the end of the world.

Anyway you can't take it with you, right?

Happy trails everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Grade III, two weeks ago. Am riding mountain bike on gravel roads again, no trails. 80% range of motion, no strength. All in all, I think I'm doing well. There's hope folks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well its been 12 weeks since the surgery. The shoulder has healed nicely. I can move my arm freely without any pain expect for when I cross over my chest and grab my other arm, there is still a little pain. I still cannot sleep on my left side. I used the resistance band to strengthen for 2 weeks and then added 5lb weights to my workout. Its still weak but making progress. I was able to swim laps in the pool the other day so was stoked about that. I am able to move my wrist and fingers again but still not back to normal. I notice small changes over 2-3 week periods so yes its taking a long time for the nerves to heal in my arm but they are slowly healing. I just hope I make a full recovery. Overall I am happy with the shoulder surgery other than the fact that my wrist is ****ed but I guess there is always a risk when going under the knife. The scar is not bad and definitely looks better than that big ass deformity that was there. I am still out of work but maybe can get back to it in another 2 weeks or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast