Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Went and saw the sports doc on the 20th. Says he's very happy with the ROM and progress I had made in 3 weeks. Did also say that he thinks that it would be no more than a grade 1/2. Most weights are nearly back to 100% although bench is still a little behind, and dips are still rather difficult as they do cause a bit of pain. I can do pull ups with little pain also. All in all, I think I dodged a bullet and several months of rehab!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Post surgery update. Had surgery April 15 grade 4/5 sep, zero pain or uncomfort. Been riding as much as possible but can't play competitive golf till my strength gets back. Which is a tedious processes. Hope all the fellow shredders are doin well. Tahoe is off the chains right now heavenly ski resort is almost done building there downhill and XC trails got a taste test this weekend and let me tell you well worth the trip

Happy trail Nevada nelly

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I enjoy visiting this thread once in a while to keep me in the loop on any new developments.

As an update on my OTB injury from Nov 2011. It was a grade 3 sep but, thankfully, the pain wasn't bad, maybe a 2.5 out of 10. Went to see 3 orthos, 2 of them recommended no surgery and just do rehab/PT while the 3rd advised to have surgery.

I decided to go the non-invasive route seeing that I wasn't in much pain; I had a good range of motion after a few weeks; 2 out of 3 drs recommended it; and, I can live with having that strange bump on my shoulder (I was in the beach last weekend and I still get stares and a guffaw by a friend).

I was actually able to join my team mates in Feb 2012 (after 3 months) for a 10KM open water swim, with wet suit, as there were many jellyfish, and fins. It was tough due to the strong currents at the end but my shoulder held up pretty well. Needless to say, I felt like a million bucks after.

As of today, my shoulder doesn't feel like its 100% but my ROM is pretty good (around 98%, I think) and I can do most anything with that arm/shoulder. It's not as strong as before as I've been lazy to strengthen it but I can do push ups on a TRX or Swiss Ball. Good thing I'm not big on bball as I don't think I'll play it again as I might risk having someone pull the ball from the back during a rebound and pop my shoulder. It's just my feeling, I don't know if that's possible.

In any case, good luck to us, who have the injury. May we recover as well as we can, surgery or otherwise.

Long live the bump!

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadanelly View Post
    Post surgery update. Had surgery April 15 grade 4/5 sep, zero pain or uncomfort. Been riding as much as possible but can't play competitive golf till my strength gets back. Which is a tedious processes. Hope all the fellow shredders are doin well. Tahoe is off the chains right now heavenly ski resort is almost done building there downhill and XC trails got a taste test this weekend and let me tell you well worth the trip

Happy trail Nevada nelly
    You have been riding and had surgery on April 15 2013?
    I couldn't get on a bike for over 3 months!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
    You have been riding and had surgery on April 15 2013?
    I couldn't get on a bike for over 3 months!!!
    His injury was not yours or anybody else's here. "Zero pain or discomfort" doesn't sound like much of a injury or serious surgery. When I broke my wrist I had multiple riders tell me they had a soft cast on for two weeks and then were "good to go". I was in a hard cast for six weeks and it took me a year and a half to get my hand back. Mucho pain and mucho discomfort.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I'm about six weeks out from a grade 3 separation that still hurts everday. I ride a few times and week and just deal with the intense pain after. My dr. Told me to "use" it as much as possible so that's what i'm doing. As long as I don't take a big hit to it IE go OTB again and slam it on a rock I should be alright. I just can't stay off my bike for too long.

With that said I wish i could give it a rest for a few weeks but I really can't see myself doing that. My pain when it first happened was at least an 8/10 now it's more of a dull 2-3/10 consistently all the time with spikes after riding or trying to push myself up with that arm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My ortho doc keep telling me to wait to opt in for surgery. He states it can be done 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or a year down the road. He wants me to wait and see how it recovers on its own. 3 weeks since fall.....type 3.....MASSIVE bump on shoulder.

Is this information correct or shoulder surgery be performed ASAP? My concern with waiting is I feel as if I will be rehabbing it twice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)

It can be done at any time yes. The damage is done its over not going back. If you do the surgery you will get a new ligament all together they do away with the damaged ones. As far as rehab I really didn't want to go thru with two rehabs myself. I k ow a lot of the guys here have good results without surgery but end up with never ending rehab to maintain enough strength to stabilize the shoulder. The surgery has a very long rehab I am 6 months post op now and not regretting a thing. Still working on strength but I'm very happy with the results. On a down side I have a ligament now and can break it again if I were to fall on it just right again. Which does happen as we are all to aware.
    Good luck with your shoulder!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Glad to hear this is a normal injury. First day out ever, i take a turn wrong, fly 10 feet into some rocks, luckily i was wearing a roost guard, full face helmet, etc. The pain was incredible. COuldn't lift anything or move my arm at all. It was so painful getting in and out of bed. COughing, sneezing, putting on a shirt!

It has been 2 weeks and 1 day. Had Xrays and the Knicks basketball team doctor (Aunt works at HSS in NYC) and pretty much told me what everyone is saying here.

Rehab, no surgery for stage 3, not on dominant arm, IT consultant by trade. Ha im a bit on the bulky side and I'm glad to say its not super noticeable.

I'm just scared of falling on it again, people say it won't split again but the thought of it and the pain I was in makes me cringe!

On the road to recovery adn back onit soon I hpe!

mtbr member
    Hi all

I'm coming up for 2 years out from a Grade 3 on my right shoulder.

Didn't have surgery, but was very diligent with my rehab and got swimming as early as I could.

I've posted a few times in this thread (most recently here: Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)), but one of my biggest early concerns was whether I'd ever get back to endurance open water swimming with the injury.

Well, the good news is that I just did my longest ever race in open water (12km), swimming out in exposed ocean from Sydney's Bondi Beach to Watsons Bay.

Not only that, but I swam it faster than I ever would have hoped I could and without too much difficulty.

Long story short:

1 - no surgery was a good choice for me (at least at this stage of my life); and

2 - more importantly, no matter how down you are now about having done this injury, you can get back your full strength & motion. So keep your chin up!

Cheers all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post
    Long story short:

1 - no surgery was a good choice for me (at least at this stage of my life); and

2 - more importantly, no matter how down you are now about having done this injury, you can get back your full strength & motion. So keep your chin up!

Cheers all.
    That's awesome to hear since I am 3 weeks into my type 3 separation myself. Deciding to rehab like crazy and keep my fingers crossed. As an ex professional baseball player shoulder maintenance work comes naturally. How long was it until you were able to aggressively ride again w/o pain? Right now (only three weeks out) the thought of pulling up the handle bars brings tears to my eyes. For a type 3 I feel like I'm making good progress, however I keep worrying the pain will always be there to some extent.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    That's awesome to hear since I am 3 weeks into my type 3 separation myself. Deciding to rehab like crazy and keep my fingers crossed. As an ex professional baseball player shoulder maintenance work comes naturally. How long was it until you were able to aggressively ride again w/o pain? Right now (only three weeks out) the thought of pulling up the handle bars brings tears to my eyes. For a type 3 I feel like I'm making good progress, however I keep worrying the pain will always be there to some extent.
    That thought scares me as well. I'm 2.5 weeks in and I have to start PT/rehab, waiting for an appointment. Been looking online for ROM workouts etc but I think I'd rather wait instead of hurt myself more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    How long was it until you were able to aggressively ride again w/o pain? Right now (only three weeks out) the thought of pulling up the handle bars brings tears to my eyes. For a type 3 I feel like I'm making good progress, however I keep worrying the pain will always be there to some extent.
    The thing that took longest was getting my confidence back, not waiting for the pain to go away.

My timeline went something like this:

At the time I did the injury, I was already entered in an endurance MTB race being held about 2 months later. So it was a goal for me in my recovery to be able to do that race.

I was back on the bike on the road after about 5 weeks - the ortho Dr gave me clearance pretty early "as long as you don't fall off!". I didn't have any pain when on the bike, but my shoulder was clearly still recovering.

I think my first dirt ride was at about 7 weeks and then I did the race at 2 months. It was a completely XC race, with very little technical riding, but I was still pretty cautious.

I got back to more technical riding after about 3 months. Didn't have any pain doing it. Fell on my bad shoulder a couple of times too, which didn't do any further damage.

But it wasn't til about 6 months out that I had all my confidence back. Again, this was purely psychological, and nothing to do with pain in the shoulder.

If you can get your head back together quicker than I did, you'll get back to aggressive riding pretty soon.

For my own part, at the time of the injury I was 38 (now I'm 40). It was the first time in my life that I've ever hurt myself badly. In that respect it was a bit of a wake-up call for me that I'm not actually indestructible. So my riding has backed off a bit - again though, this has been a conscious decision on my part rather than being unable to do it. If I was 25, I'd probably now be well back to developing my freeriding skills!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
    It can be done at any time yes.
    It depends on what surgery is performed. I had the double tightrope surgery, in the acute phase (within 4 weeks post-op) - this surgery is aimed at getting in there before the ligaments are beyond the point of no return - the surgery brings the shoulder back into its natural position and the original ligaments are expected to heal back together. This can only be performed within a certain period of time after the original injury (that's what acute means).

They also do a double tightrope surgery using cadaver or own body ligaments. This can be done at any time.

Cheers

Greg

mtbr member
    May 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Summary for Shoulder Separation corrected with LockDown / Surgilig Procedure

Had a grade 3. Rehab, waited 7 month until surgery. Still had a lot of pain. Bad arthritis in joint. Had LockDown / Surgilig procedure and in short, I am so glad i had this procedure, it put my life back together. It has been 9 months since the procedure.

Before surgery i would say i was 60% back to normal. Now i would say I am 95% back. I lost a few millimeters of the correction, but i am still happy.

If someone punches me in the screw, or I wear a book bag for a long time, sometimes there is minor irritation near the screw. The trapezius/deltoid muscle that was cut, grew back different, it is skinnier and stick out more, however it functions exactly the same as before.

I play catch, go bowling, frisbee, go mountain biking, everything, just as i did before, full range of motion, lost maybe 5% strength. Actually there is one thing I dont do anymore, the ligament feels strange if i bench more than 180 lbs, i was benching 250 before, I know i can bench more again, but I just dont like the feeling, feels like it puts strain on it, it doesnt hurt. I just want this thing to last the rest of my life. I do 40 push-ups every morning instead, more than I was doing before the injury.

Here is a brief summary of how things went after the surgery.

weeks 1-2, mostly sleeping, absolutely no pain because of nerve block. only needed pain killers for first 3 days. lots of cramping in the arm and had to be out of the sling a lot. Weird electricity sensations and nerve problems. I got very depressed. I never get depressed.

End of week 4 - Out of sling. Bored, cant really do anything, hunched over, depressed. Cant really shower very well. Cant think clearly, even without pain killers. Doc said to wear the sling for 4 weeks. Lots of cramping, hard to sleep. Can lift arm slightly higher than level. Can only open light doors. 50% ROM. Icing several times a day. Hard to shake hands. Hard to open most doors.

End of week 8- Not bad at all. 95% ROM, only when taking advil. Can open most doors except heavy. Hand shaking is fine. Can do dishes, most chores. I wont carry a full laundry basket yet. Depression is gone.

End of week 12 - Running on Treadmill. Some stiffness. Sleep on shoulder. Zero Pain. 15Lb exercises. Pushups on steps. Can do all house chores both hands.

End of week 16 - about 20 lbs exercises. played a light game of frisbee, no problem. arm got tired easy.

End of week 20 - about 30 pushups, no steps. Shoulder look the same. No swelling. No more advil.

End of week 28 - about 45 pushups. Headstands, bowling, frisbee, baseball, tennis, swimming, cartwheels. everything. Even though the joint capsule is cut, I can have a 120 lb girl sit on my shoulder at a concert with no issues. life is good.

Hope this helps someone.

Any questions, dwightrau@yahoo.com

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-shoulder2.jpgAc Separation (shoulder Separation)-shoulder1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwight0 View Post
    Had a grade 3. Rehab, waited 7 month until surgery. Still had a lot of pain. Bad arthritis in joint. Had LockDown / Surgilig procedure and in short, I am so glad i had this procedure, it put my life back together. It has been 9 months since the procedure.

Before surgery i would say i was 60% back to normal. Now i would say I am 95% back. I lost a few millimeters of the correction, but i am still happy.

If someone punches me in the screw, or I wear a book bag for a long time, sometimes there is minor irritation near the screw. The trapezius/deltoid muscle that was cut, grew back different, it is skinnier and stick out more, however it functions exactly the same as before.

I play catch, go bowling, frisbee, go mountain biking, everything, just as i did before, full range of motion, lost maybe 5% strength. Actually there is one thing I dont do anymore, the ligament feels strange if i bench more than 180 lbs, i was benching 250 before, I know i can bench more again, but I just dont like the feeling, feels like it puts strain on it, it doesnt hurt. I just want this thing to last the rest of my life. I do 40 push-ups every morning instead, more than I was doing before the injury.

Here is a brief summary of how things went after the surgery.

weeks 1-2, mostly sleeping, absolutely no pain because of nerve block. only needed pain killers for first 3 days. lots of cramping in the arm and had to be out of the sling a lot. Weird electricity sensations and nerve problems. I got very depressed. I never get depressed.

End of week 4 - Out of sling. Bored, cant really do anything, hunched over, depressed. Cant really shower very well. Cant think clearly, even without pain killers. Doc said to wear the sling for 4 weeks. Lots of cramping, hard to sleep. Can lift arm slightly higher than level. Can only open light doors. 50% ROM. Icing several times a day. Hard to shake hands. Hard to open most doors.

End of week 8- Not bad at all. 95% ROM, only when taking advil. Can open most doors except heavy. Hand shaking is fine. Can do dishes, most chores. I wont carry a full laundry basket yet. Depression is gone.

End of week 12 - Running on Treadmill. Some stiffness. Sleep on shoulder. Zero Pain. 15Lb exercises. Pushups on steps. Can do all house chores both hands.

End of week 16 - about 20 lbs exercises. played a light game of frisbee, no problem. arm got tired easy.

End of week 20 - about 30 pushups, no steps. Shoulder look the same. No swelling. No more advil.

End of week 28 - about 45 pushups. Headstands, bowling, frisbee, baseball, tennis, swimming, cartwheels. everything. Even though the joint capsule is cut, I can have a 120 lb girl sit on my shoulder at a concert with no issues. life is good.

Hope this helps someone.

Any questions, dwightrau@yahoo.com
    Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience. Sounds to me like something else must have been wrong. 7 months and no more than 60% recovery? Was your rotator cuff torn? Shoulder get dislocated at the same time?

The reason I ask is because I'm coming back from a type 3 (5 weeks ago today). Probably at 60% right now. I'm doing light work in the gym. Chores around the house are no problem. Carrying heavy grocery bags as well. Still can't use the arm to lift my bike on top of my car though or lift anything heavy overhead. Have avoided riding since I'm holding off until after my wedding in another month. It will give it more time to heal so that's ok. I think everyone has a different experience and recovery rate with this injury. I hope I don't get to 70% in another couple weeks and just stop improving! I'm seeing improvements every day though and for only 5 weeks since my injury, I think at week 10 I will be 80% hopefully.

Your shoulder looks great. Sounds to me like you had no choice since after 7 months you hit a flat spot. Are you worried about falling on it again and ruining your surgery?

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-img_0597.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    PublicEnemy,

I think for my particular body type, my muscles weren't working right and kept cramping, they needed to be in their original position hanging off the clavicle to work correctly. I also had the bones rubbing together and pinching he flesh and the pain was excruciating. Your separation looks large enough that the bones dont rub together.

5 weeks is early to tell, i think at about 8 weeks you will be able to predict what is to come and if you want surgery or not. Congratulations on getting married. It is good to have someone to help you. You should continue to improve until at least month 6.

I am not worried about falling on it to ruin the surgery, however the artificial ligament is so strong that i am worried if i fall on it again, it will rip out the coracoid process or something else while the artificial ligament itself receives no damage.

I also think i had an optimal outcome for two reasons. The first being because my clavicle only wobbled up and down, I think this surgery only fixes that, and does not fix the side to side movements as well. Also, when the doctor performs the surgery, he has to pull it down further than it originally was, and he has to guess how high it will rise back up after a couple months. My doctor guessed pretty accurately, but i think this is not always the case.

I wish the best of luck to you. Hope you get that range of motion back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    just back in from a great evening paddle. (SUP) Absolutely no issues at all.

should be back in france on the 1st august to face my nemesis (steep switchback) one year to the day.

Might take it a bit carefully, but i'm definitely not going to walk it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    No surgery on mine, happened in June 2011. Pain was pretty intense, met with an orthopedic specialist. He checked my range of motion (it was 8 days after the injury), took a couple x-rays and then told me to take my arm out of the sling and use it as much as the pain would allow. He said he'd love to do the surgery but in my case, insurance would consider it an aggressive form of treatment and that I would recover just fine without surgery. Plus without surgery, I'd be back to normal more quickly.

I was able to start working again after two weeks (I have a mobile detailing business), back on the bike in 5 weeks, two years later my shoulder seems really solid. Honestly, without looking closely enough to be kind of creepy, you'd have a hard time even finding a lump in my right shoulder. Range of motion is the same as my left shoulder, strength is the same. No problems throwing a baseball, football or swinging a bat. Done some lifting as well (but nothing regular), no pain with that either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Broken Clavicle To Separated Shoulder

Here is an interesting one I haven't read yet. I took a very steep hill and broke my right collar bone (distil-about .5" before the very end of my clavicle). Got surgery 6/13/13 plate with anchor screw into my coracoid to keep the plate down. Turns out the anchor screw broke putting a shirt on, and now I have either stage 2 or 3 separation along with the broken collar bone. I'm seeing the Doctor who did the surgery in 1 week. I already have a 4" scar, and the Doctor was going to do a second procedure anyway to remove the long screw before it broke. Can they remove all of the hardware and repair the ligaments while they're in there? One doctor suggested leaving everything in and heal up, no more surgeries. Not sure I'm happy with a broken screw in there. It didn't even hurt when it happened it just popped. It's just tender again and I have a lump. Most likely because the ligaments ripped during the clavicle break. I need options & opinions. Please reply if you've seen this before. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-image.jpg  

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-image.jpg  

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-image.jpg  

Last edited by JRegs1; 07-08-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Picture

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I an so glad I found this post. I had a grade three seperation about a year ago from a cycling injury. my orthopedic surgeon recommended against surgery due to my age (54). I saw another doc in charlotte and he said that he would do it, and that insurance would cover it. he treated the professional athletes in the Charlotte region. my surgery was scheduled in a week, but I just cancelled it because I have almost no pain, almost complete range of motion, and can do military press (120lb) and chest press (180lb) about what I was doing before surgery. the only thing is this great big unsightly bump on my shoulder that I can willingly push up in the air and make me look like an oddity. so I figure that the only reason that I was doing was for aesthetics and vanity. It looks like most men can retain most all their regular sports function after healing of the joint. I am glad to hear I have a lot of fellow members in the "pointy shoulder club"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My Surgon worked for the NY Jets. He said I had the second worst that he had fixed.
    The X rays showed some damage. The MRI made surgery a Medical Necessity!
    Don't play around, spend the money. Mine was $550 and Kaiser refused to reimburse me. lmfao
    Kaiser turned me down twice for MRI. lol
    If I learned 1 thing through this journey:
    You have to be your own advocate!
    I am 59, and have the gray hair to prove it.

R

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have had a mountain biking accident right in the end of July. They diagnosed Rockwood 5 for me and suggested to have surgery. I had the operation two days after the injury in Stuttgart, Germany. They have put the twin tail tightrope in my left shoulder. My shoulder hurt like hell right after the injury and after the operation too, but since 3 days after the operation I have not taken any painkillers. At the moment (2 weeks after OP) I have only minor or no pain and I can move my arm properly, just paying attention to move it in the allowed range. I will start the psyhio next week, 10 weeks long.

Sleeping is kinda hard, nowadays I only sleep on my back (never did that before) and I usually get up with back pain in the morning. The doc said this is because the unusual (for me) sleeping position. What is really surprising for me is that I was only required to wear the sling for 5 days after the OP. Everybody says that he/she had to wear it for weeks.

I am 24 years old and I do (did) a lot of sports (5-6 times a week; running, cycling, gym).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Was diagnosed with a grade 3 AC separation on Aug 1 from a road bike wreck. I think I slid along the pavement for a few feet and stopped when my shoulder hit a curb.
    Hospital for Special Surgery guy said just rehab it and fix it in a few years if I am unsatisfied with the performance. MRI showed no rotator cuff damage, which was a blessing. My pinky and ring finger tingled for a couple of weeks afterwards but other than that no nerve damage. I had terrible cramps and spasms and lots of black and blue in the chest from the leaking shoulder blood.

It's been around 8 weeks post injury and I wanted to share what I can and cannot do.

I have a bump a little smaller than an inch and in the beginning couldnt' even move the arm for 2 weeks. Sleeping on it was impossible and I took lots of vicodin in those two weeksn. After 4 weeks I could dress OK but all day there was a dull ache that felt like the shoulder 'hanging'. Doc didn't advise on a sling so I didn't wear one.

After 4 weeks I started PT twice a week on ROM exercises and some strength training with 5 lb weights. this has continued up to week 8 with 10 lb weights, still at twice a week.

At 8 weeks I can rock climb with is fantastic. It doesn't feel very good and some moves like overhanging gaston is totally impossible from pain, but I can toprope solid 5.10 with no real trouble. Climbing seems to take away the constant dull ache I feel.

I can road bike just fine, though my shoulder starts to hurt after two hours.
    I can't do pushups or shoulder presses or bench of any kind. too much lateral movement in the joint. This sucks and I don't expect it will get any better. Still can't sleep on that side without pain and carrying a backpack doesn't feel good.

Sadly, I can't mountain bike at all yet and that's because any lifting of the bars to hop an obstacle opens the joint and hurts like hell. For some reason I can lift static objects like a 40 lb bucket full of water but the sharp bar pullup kills me. it's a real shame as I really like mountain biking and am pretty bored with road biking.

I'll post up after every milestone but for now 8 weeks out I'm definitely not satisfied and hope to keep improving. Even as I type this at my desk I have a burning sensation behind my scapula.

Good luck everyone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am about 14 months post injury. Grade 3 AC seperation. Full range of motion and stregnth. No surgery. Only time I ever think about it is when I look in a mirror and see a lump. If I spent a lot of time running around with my shirt off I might have wished I had surgery, other than that have a full recovery. Good luck everyone!

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast