Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    One year out from my over the bars on a table jump that led to my grade 3 separation. No surgery and 53 years old (this month). Mountain biking has been fine....I can ride all day no problem.....took me a long time to work up the courage to ride where I hurt myself (Graham Swamp) but I've ridden it half a dozen times since the crash.

Standup Paddling (SUP) also no problem. Prone paddling on a surfboard was weak last year and I hope to see improvement this year. ROM with the shoulder is good and I'm doing pushups everyday. I will admit that I can still feel it....low grade ache comes and goes. It is barely noticeable and seems to ache less when I continue to do my home PT exercises.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    just got home from the hospital. surgery went really well, but damn this pain is incredible. had a hard time breathing after anesthesia, so they kept me overnight. anyone have the same prob breathing after surgery?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    what's the current update on your recovery? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    having a really hard time sleeping pain is there but not as bad as it was yesterday. i absolutely hate these drugs they make your mouth sooo dry, your skin itch, and you pee every ten min. any thoughts on sleeping???

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadanelly View Post
    having a really hard time sleeping pain is there but not as bad as it was yesterday. i absolutely hate these drugs they make your mouth sooo dry, your skin itch, and you pee every ten min. any thoughts on sleeping???
    Hey, I'm 5 1/2 weeks from my surgery, if you have a recliner thats the best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    how are you doing in general 5 weeks out. pain all gone? sleeping in a bed yet? showering comfortably?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)

I got off pain meds on the third day I just couldn't stand the way they made me feel. Sleep in a recliner for a couple days then move to sofa for a couple an finally to the bed. It really took time to get good sleep though. I am about 5 months out and can sleep on the repaired side now but still not all night. I have always gone from side to side at night anyway.
    Good luck be really careful and do what the doctor says. I am very happy with my repair! I have been back in the woods a couple of times now but dialed way back and trying to get back in shape. There is no pain or discomfort at all.
    I hope you guys do great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    how are you doing in general 5 weeks out. pain all gone? sleeping in a bed yet? showering comfortably?
    pain is gone, was using oxycodone worked well but the sooner you can get of that **** the better, made me depressed. I have a recliner and stayed there for about 3+ weeks, some folks went straight to the bed after 3 days. After 2 weeks doc said I could shower, thank god.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I showered after the 3rd day. Get some press and seal kitchen wrap and put over the shoulder good and it will be water tight. I did use a hand shower and didn't spray right on the wrap. I was surprised at how good it worked. My bandages were dry every time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the good advise Andy and ccrecon. Can't wait to ride and play golf again, at least my shoulder is now in the correct position and iv started the healing process. Thanks again nelly

Ps I haven't **** in 3 days so lame lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the good advise Andy and ccrecon. Can't wait to ride and play golf again, at least my shoulder is now in the correct position and iv started the healing process. Thanks again nelly

Ps I haven't **** in 3 days so lame lol
    the side effect of drugs, I was four days I think, did some fiber and slammed lots of water. And made a concerted effort tring to be careful of sutures

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    1 week post surgery no pain meds in 4 days. my shoulder feel really good, its amazing how much better it feels now that it is in the correct location. i think after some good PT i will be well on my way to recovery. sleeping is tough but every night is better than the last.

thanks to all the peps who answered some many question i had!!

see yah on the trails soon
    NVnelly

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It will be about 4 months before you hit the trail again.. sorry.. Yes it is better right off the bat after surgery! It really feels good about 8 weeks out you will feel normal but have no strength in it. About 14 weeks flexiablity will be coming back good and strenght. You will feel better weeky after the sling comes off. I am 22 weeks and have no regrets.

Glad your doing well! For 5 more weeks don't even think of moving it and leave it in the sling 24/7!!!! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    did you wear your sling when you slept? how often did you do PT and when does that typically start?

thanks

mtbr member
    I wore my sling night and day for six weeks. Sleep was tough for me, I'm a stomach or side sleeper. I didn't sleep well so ended up sleeping in 2-3 hour blocks through out the night and day for a couple weeks. I went of the Oxycodone after 3 or 4 days, but went back on after a few more days only taking it at night. It was the only way I got a semi decent sleep.

We have an "L" shaped couch. I stuffed an aero bed in the L. I slept right against the side of the couch and built a wall of pillows on my other side. This mostly kept me from rolling in my sleep. After I was able to lay on my non-surgery side, I would prop my surgery arm up on the couch. I tried sleeping in bed with my wife probably once a week, but to be honest, it was 6 months before I was as comfortable in bed as I was on the aerobed with my arm propped up on the couch. I wasn't in pain the last few months, just not comfortable and it impacted the quality of my sleep.

I didn't start PT until I was out of the sling, so six weeks after surgery. I went 3 times a week for a month, then twice a week for a month, then once a week for 2 months.

I was released from PT 5 months after surgery with a plan for home workouts to be done 2-3x a week indefinitely. I saw my Doctor last week. I'm a little over 6 months out and he released me for good. Though, I'll be back to him at some point. I chipped my elbow at some point in the last few years and have developed a bone spur that is getting more and more irritating.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    24/7 yes at night too. I got to take it off to shower after 2-3 weeks and that was it! I slept ok but not great after a week in the bed on my good side only! I still sleep mostly on the good side but roll to the repaired side a few times a night with no problems. I only had pt for 12 weeks 2 times a week but also will keep it up at home indefiniely.
    Glad your doing good Dave, have you been riding much yet?

mtbr member

Re: Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)

Not sure on grade yet getting an mri later this week. Really bad swelling and bruising. Took a header over the bars dropping a little for footer onto a solid slab of rock... Thought I cracked my helmet to luckily no concussion. Dr thinks something else is going on because of all the selling and bruising.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-uploadfromtaptalk1367357526812.jpg  

RideDirt
    Sleep? What sleep ? LOL man that **** was terrible .. I would stay off the meds man , i only used them for 1 day but try and bare the pain . Those meds really mess you up . I would just pop some ibuprofen . I was like a zombie the first couple weeks , sleeping in spurts of like 2-3 hours . What helped me was using a pillow to kind of not let me roll over onto my right arm .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Spending time in a recline w/arm tucked in properly is important. keeping the sling tight is also very important. Leting the joint knit w/o gravity pulling things apart is a constant struggle. Thrashing around while sleeping is counter-productive at best!

JMHO

R

mtbr member
    Get my MRI results Monday...Kinda nervous since the bruising is getting worse (it's a nasty black/blue/read color). So far everyone I've talked to expects me to need surgery which is the last thing I want. I should heal quickly as I"m 26 but I would be missing some sweet biking trips in the process.

Fingers crossed

mtbr member
    MRI results yesterday. High 3rd degree separation with 2/3 ligaments being damaged. No surgery needed, out of the sling, and i'm supposed to use it as much as I can (obviously within reason) so it regains full ROM and doesn't freeze up. Still hurts by my ROM is almost back to normal after 2 weeks but it is incredibly weak still. Did a short flat ride last night and it felt great (both the shoulder and to be back on the bike).

So far good news

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    4 weeks post op shoulder feels so brand new. dr. says sling comes off on the 17th cant wait for that. zero pain, sleeping still kinda a pain in the ass just cas I cant sleep on that shoulder. I should be riding and playing competitive golf by mid to late June. after seeing the xray post surgery, its amazing what these Surgeon's can do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

It is truly amazing what they can do. I am very happy with my choice. It's a long road when your in a sling or doing PT to get the ROM back. I'm almost 6 months out now and still working on my strength which is coming along good.
    Now if the rain would just slow down some it would be nice to get some riding in.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys

I'm not a rider but I've recently done my (R) AC joint on the 27th of April. X-ray the day after showed about a 1cm increase in gap compared to the normal shoulder (L). I had the arm in a sling for the day and a half. Pain was excruciating for the first 3-5 days. From there I worked on ROM with a little movement. Each day it gets better and my ROM is back to around 90-95% although there is still some pain, but I push through it. I don't get to see a sports doc until the 20th to determine degree of damage. I thought initially that I had a grade III sep, but I've hit the gym a couple of days ago (12 days post injury) and my strength is around 50-75% that pre-injury, ie benched 150lb (so long as I kept my shoulder blades squeezed nice and tight. Upright closed row around 130lb and 55lb bicep curls. Pain is a 2-3/10 while doing these exercises. Now I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I even be doing this at this stage of the injury? Am I only slowing the healing process?

2. I'm now thinking that with this kinda strength it might not be as bad as a grade III. Maybe only a grade II? There is a little movement in the AC end of the clavicle but not very much. I do have a 1-2cm bump on my right shoulder though, which is quite sore when I poke it at the front and back of the clavical's tip.

Thanks for your time guys, and hope a speedy recovery to you all. It's a b***h of an injury!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hi guys. it is a while since i posted but here is the update.

10 months since the grade 3 no surgery.

it probably took a full 8 months, but I have absolutely full use of my arm and shoulder and i can do everything i used to do ( well at least everything i was still doing up until the time of the accident)

the bump is still a talking point and an ice breaker with sympathetic chicks.....

I am not disappointed that i went without the surgery.

no complaints now, 99.5% normality. Just keep using it and moving it.

Hope this is useful for any new readers.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast