Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantfox View Post
    i have developed a major bump on my belly over the last 11 weeks.

i think it might be connected
    Ha ha!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have joined this club too.. With a level 3 separation I am going to go for the sugery too. I have not found a good reason not to have this fixed from the start. Yes I know the rehab is longer but the outcome is better I hope. Does anyone have good advice.

Andy

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
    I have joined this club too.. With a level 3 separation I am going to go for the sugery too. I have not found a good reason not to have this fixed from the start. Yes I know the rehab is longer but the outcome is better I hope. Does anyone have good advice.

Andy
    Other than the bump I'm not sure the outcome is much different. Good luck with the surgery and be sure to do the PT as required! 6 months out and I surfed hurricane Sandy last week and have been mountain biking a lot....getting stronger all the time!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    13 and 1/2 weeks since the fall.

It still feels wierd but I can do everything I want so far, but it hasn't really been tested.
    For instance I have not hung my full weight on the arm and tried to pull up (yet)

Cycling isn't an issue, have rode some bumps but no real test. Golf was terrible.
    Can SUP without too much drama, but is mildly painful swapping the paddle from one side to the other.
    last week had to put the winter tyres on which was a different test - carrying 8 wheels up and down to the basement and swapping them over. No real issues at the time but it ached that evening and I could feel it for a few days.
    It feels to me like evereytime you do something strenuous, the end of the bone is rubbing against all that soft tissue and must be damaging it slightly - then it takes a few days to heal.

If you take some time to read the posts and do some research you won't find anything conclusive that leads towards surgery or no surgery. Which is quite frustrating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have some friends with AC separation that wasnt repaired and ALL 3 of them said to have it repaired period. They have been living with it for as many as 20 years and have limits to what they can do and pain that comes and goes with heavy use or over head use. All three of them have clicking which is painful at times. I would bet guys with surgery have some issues too but really havent heard them.
    My doc says the shoulder will be 100% and I can go back to anything I want to after a 6-9 month rehab.
    It's been a week after the crash and the shoulder is much better as far as pain but I am really amazed at how much closer my arm is to my body. The shoulder has rotated down so far there is a very noticeable difference. The top of the collar bone is still very tender where the bone fragments were torn from.
    Other than the rehab taking much longer I think the rebuilt shoulder will be better and trouble long term should be better. I have read most of this thread and haven't seen too many long term results. The one I have seen was only about a year out. Your right just not much conclusive results or posts. Like one guy said each person is different and so is the injury, level of rehab, actitivity level and results linked to them. This makes conclusive leads difficult. It would be nice to hear from both sides 2-10 years out but I dought we will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    an interesting tale.

went sailing today and there was a guy with a bumpy shoulder same as mine....(but younger)

he did it 3 years ago, no surgery and is doing all sports normally including MTB and wake boarding.

No issues whatsoever...according to him

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How bad was his separation? Glad you enjoyed it, not the story I wanted to be telling for sure.
    Just looking for info from non and cut guys. Thank you for yours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It would be nice to hear from both sides 2-10 years out but I dought we will.
    I promise to post up 3 years out on this! I'm only 6 months now. I went on a 9 mile easy mountain bike ride this morning and SUP'd in the ocean for an hour this afternoon. No pain...but it is a little tender. I know it is there. Here is where I'm currently weak.....prone paddling on a surfboard. I can surf but when it is overhead and offshore I had trouble getting my 5'6" fish into the waves (duh, wrong board choice). Nonetheless, I'm positive with some strength exercises I'll be pulling that off next hurricane season.

I'll have to admit I may be different than others.....I'm 52 and not getting any younger but my mind keeps telling me to push and learn new things on my bike and on my boards. I have an office job and feel unsatisfied if I don't get a good workout at least on the weekends.

What I don't know is if I would be better off 2 or 3 years out with the surgery than without.....

Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will do the same here with surgery. I don't have a date yet but expect it will be before the end of the month. All 3 of my buddies do most anything they want just maybe not as well or long. 2 of them bike with no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How bad was his separation? Glad you enjoyed it, not the story I wanted to be telling for sure.
    Just looking for info from non and cut guys. Thank you for yours.
    separation was identical to mine except mine is left (non-dominant) and his right.

Thing that impressed me was wakeboarding, which is about as full-on use of the shoulder as you can get.

Mind you, maybe it is the less strenuous but more difficult movements that cause problems eg- overarm paddling motion.

My bone aches this morning and I wasn't doing anything particularly sporty yesterday, just pulling on a few ropes and getting in and out of the boat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceX View Post

What I don't know is if I would be better off 2 or 3 years out with the surgery than without.....

Stay tuned.
    this is the great question.....no way of knowing

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I'm a year out from my grade 3 separation. Doc told me I'd be trading a lump on my shoulder for a scar with the same end results, so I went the no surgery route. Although my nude modeling days are over I have not regretted not going under the knife. Besides a lump it causes me no issues what so ever.
    My doc said the opposite, surgery will move shoulder back into normal position and you will be 100%. As strong as before, corrects posture and no bone interference (clicking or bone on bone issues). But will have scar and longer harder recovery time. I asked if it would be as durable as natural shoulder and he said as durable as before after the long rehab. He did give the option of no surgery and said a lot of guys do just fine without surgery.
    I'm only a week into this and don't want to have 2 recoveries. Most pain is gone but I a have no strength. The shoulder feels very unstable and much closer to the rib cage! I was thinking of long term shoulder issues including as one guy here had talked about frozen shoulder, limited mobility, posture issues and back problems as it would not be as balanced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My doc said the opposite, surgery will move shoulder back into normal position and you will be 100%. .
    this is the great dilema.

the medical fraternity is still not decided and it very much depends on which doctor you ask.

like my surgeon, who would have been quite happy to take the money but recommended against the surgery

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I will do the same here with surgery. I don't have a date yet but expect it will be before the end of the month. All 3 of my buddies do most anything they want just maybe not as well or long. 2 of them bike with no problem.
    Hi Andy,

Can your doc not do the tightrope procedure? It can be done with key hole surgery and you are left with 4 tiny scars if you can call them that. It must be done asap though after the injury. I dont think i would be waiting till the end of the month if i was you.(2 -3 weeks is optimal apparantley.)

I am 6 weeks out from my tightrope op and i am so pleased i went this route. Every week my shoulder is improving and i think i would go as far as to say the last few days feels like its back to normal. It isnt of course as ive yet to stress it, i go back for a checkup this week where i can then start overhead stuff with my arm, but im hoping this will go smoothly so i can then concentrate on range of movement.

Good luck with your injury

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes he is doing the tightrope. That sounds great!! I am glad to hear your doing so good so quick. My doc says since my ligaments are completly torn really doesn't matter when the sugery is done.
    I had read here people saying the sugery had to be done very quick but he said didn't matter the ligaments (AC and CC) are not reused. He is going in with a 2-3 inch cut to take end of bone off and bone frags too. I would rather had key hole but he didn't say and I didn't ask why cut really. I am hoping end of this week or at least before thanksgiving.
    How soon did they get you moving the arm? Can you feel the button or screw? Did the surgery put you down for a while? Could you sleep in a bed or chair? sorry for the questions

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by giantfox View Post
    this is the great dilema.

the medical fraternity is still not decided and it very much depends on which doctor you ask.

like my surgeon, who would have been quite happy to take the money but recommended against the surgery
    Excatlly what doc said and he did recommend trying with out surgery. But also said the surgery would put shoulder back in normal position and be "100%" . I have (for now) good insurance this year and the cost is very minimal, around $500. for everything. Next year cost goes up to $5500. Thanks Obama care.
    That is why I am not waiting along with having to recover two times. If it had happend two months later I would have had to go no surgery route also....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im guessing your injury maybe slightly different to mine then as i had nothing taken off of the end of my collarbone. I had a grade 3 too so my ligaments were totally torn but from my understanding if the collar bone is put in place before 4 weeks have passed the ligaments will heal together. Although i think its more scar tissue and not a true ligament as it once was.

I could take my arm out of the sling to wash but that was it for the 1st 2 weeks, i was sleeping on my back only at this time.

After 2 weeks the doc advised taking my arm out of the sling when at home but on no account lift my arm above my shoulder.

At four weeks i did not use the sling at all but my shoulder felt very odd and weak.

Now at 6 weeks it feels normal to use with with light duties

I cannot feel the button at all which is a relief.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    He said taking off the end of the bone would stop interference or bone to bone contact. Yes he said the scar tissue that would form at the old ligaments would not hold and possibility of isssues with the scar tissue over time.
    Great information thank you! Sounds like yours is going great, I wish you the best also!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

No PT?

I'm 47. Went OTB 9 days ago and received a level 3. Ortho Doc recommended non-surgery, but when I asked him about PT, he said not to worry about it, just let it heal naturally.

My question: How many of you were given similar advice regarding PT? Did you follow that advice, and did you heal up just fine?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Smith View Post
    I'm 47. Went OTB 9 days ago and received a level 3. Ortho Doc recommended non-surgery, but when I asked him about PT, he said not to worry about it, just let it heal naturally.

My question: How many of you were given similar advice regarding PT? Did you follow that advice, and did you heal up just fine?
    I had a grade 2 separation at the beginning of March. The first doc I saw just referred me elsewhere. The sports medicine guy I saw gave me a little pamphlet of stretches and exercises to do. If I'm honest, I didn't really do most of the stuff in the pamphlet. I'm all healed up now but it did take a few months before I stopped feeling twinges of pain while doing simple stuff.

The biggest thing I can recommend is don't try to go too fast with recovery. After about three months, I was feeling 'good' and tried to do some light pressing movements in the gym and practically re-injured the shoulder. Now, 8 months later, I'm back to full strength and bench pressing heavy. With that said, I do still feel some slight discomfort in the shoulder when pressing heavy but I'm fine while riding.

At 9 days out, you may want to start some small movements. Raise your arm up to the side, in front, try to cross it over your chest, etc. The crossing over the chest part was the most painful for me. Maybe do some arm circles. I didn't really follow any certain PT program. I just tried to move it around as much as I could without causing too much pain. A bit of pain with any movement will be normal for a few weeks/months.

Sorry about your injury. Take it easy so you can get back out there.

mtbr member

4 weeks ago I separated my shoulder, and yesterday I completed SWANK 65 in the Pisgah of NC. The shoulder was a total non-issue. I can't quite get over big log overs like I used to, but suspect that'll be over in a couple weeks.

I didn't do any PT. I just rode. After two weeks I started doing those shoulder muscle exercises with the bungie cords, and 3 started shoulder presses and shruggs. Active recovery works.
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

I'd rather be riding!
    I shrugged off PT at first after my grade III and kept having dull pain that just kept getting worse to the point that I was totally obsessed with it. Went back to the orthopedic surgeon thinking I was going to have to go through surgery to stop the pain. He suggested first to do a round of PT and talk about surgery afterward. The result was after one and I mean only one visit to PT my constant pain went away. I did PT for like six weeks and it was the best treatment I could ask for without the surgery. Probably should do more on my own but well, after 4 years who has the time or desire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Interesting flurry of posts which illustrates the vast differences of medical opinion and patients' own experience.

I am now 15.5 weeks since I did mine. Can SUP as strong as before, push ups, riding bike no problem (not yet MTB as I'm currently in the flatlands), however turning the steering wheel is painful and changing the car tyres was painful and left me with pain for a few days (minor)

I'm going back to see my surgeon (who advised against surgery) on Monday as a follow up to see what he has to say.

I'm wondering if I have some bone fragments attached to the loose ends of the ligaments that irritate the soft tissue when I move in a certain direction (arm out elbow down).

Although people have done some fairly major exercise (and riding) within a few weeks, in my case this was not possible. Everytime I pushed it I was rewarded with a few days of pain, which receded and it has take 3 months to be able to get to where I am now. However, keep it moving from as early as possible so it doesn't stiffen up. I could touch my hands behind my back across opposite shoulders (don't know what the correct name for that stretch is) after 12 days - in fact first time I tried it.
    Above all my advice would be to stay positive and do what you can do. you will probably be surprised. Also, it is worth taking a few hours to read this thread, because everything you can think of has been posted at one time or another.
    Last edited by giantfox; 11-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi All,

First time post here but I owed it to this forum (and especially this thread) to contribute. I did a type 3 on May 30th of this year. I'm 46 and have crashed my bike many times in my lifetime but never like this. I saw a Ortho the next day and decided to have surgery. My Ortho is also an avid cyclist and had the same injury. He initially decided against surgery but changed his mind after six months and had the surgery. After 2 or 3 days had passed my pain level subsided considerably and I was having second thoughts. My research began in earnest. I learned that my pain was gone because all of my connective tissue was gone as well. There was nothing left to hurt any more aside from general soreness from the impact. After reading this thread and many other opinions, I decided to persevere. I had surgery on June 4th. I'm not gonna lie. Surgery and the rehab was a *****. The worst part was getting the sling off even though it was what I looked forward to the most. After 3 months, it starts getting steadily better though. I am now over five months and I feel so normal. I am still healing but at this point I really believe I made the right decision. Biking is a non issue. Strength and flexibility are about 95% and I am sure that 100% is right around the corner. Hope this helps. Good luck to all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

The Weakest Link!

After a lifetime of adventure and the consequences of that, I have learned this.
    When you push your body to the limit, the weakest link will let go first.
    The shoulder has 17 muscles and tendons crossing the joint.
    If any one othe them is weak or injued, it will be the first to go.
    For those that have been able to avoid the most painful movements,
    you can hide from them forever! LOL

I agree w/rest and ice first. After that, you can't avoid the weak/damaged
    muscles that will get tested when you least expect it!

I'm back to doing my circuit training, less overhear presses.
    If it hurts to do something, there is probably a reason.
    You can't protect your injury 24/7.

JMHO

R

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast