Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 1,001 to 1,006 of 1006
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    How long are you guys waiting to get back on the mountain bike? I'm 4 weeks into a grade 3 and feel like I still have at least another 4 weeks to go. I have decent range of motion, but still cannot reach over my head or behind my back. PT starts this week, for me.
    Grade III here.I was back on the road bike 3 weeks, mountain bike week four. I'm on week 9 now. Still sore at times, hurts if I pull up hard for a rock or jump. Drop off and small bumps are fine. Doc says do what ever I want within my pain threshold. Just do not fall on it. (have clipped a few trees OUCH). all in all. I only used the sling for the first week and only a few hours at a time. No pain killers, just IB prof. Based on other reviews I forced myself to keep it moving and deal with the pain early, that way I did not loose much ROM. Still cant sleep on that side and it will still hurt at random times, but pain is what you make of it. I like riding my bike more. Best of luck on speedy recovery

mtbr member
    It's amazing how much orthopedic recommendations vary in these scenarios. I was told 6-8 week recovery and don't lift anything over 5 pounds for the first 4 weeks. I wouldn't even think of getting on a bike at this point.
    Last edited by SikeMo; 1 Week Ago at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My experience was very similar to the posts after my G3 separation in March 2015. I had good ROM after week 1 and was able to do pull ups/pushups, paddling, etc. by week 8 trying to get back to normal ASAP. I decided on surgery in late May because the annoying pain from the clavicle digging into my shoulder on every paddle stroke and instability when duck diving large waves.

That is when things went south. I got staph in my shoulder and spent 3 months trying to kill it in order to salvage the surgery that ultimately failed. So, not only did I lose the CC/AC joint repairs, I had much more scar tissue and muscle loss particularly in my deltoid area that was concave (i.e. a divot) by September. My right shoulder (deltoid, trap, etc.) was a shrunken mess from its pre injury form.

What helped me recover was getting a PT that was hands on: pulling, twisting, deep tissue messaging, etc. all the muscles, bones, ligaments, etc. in my shoulder area for 50 minutes followed by 10 minutes of heat therapy and a brief review on new home exercises. Some of these sessions were very painful but I could feel the improvement the next day. She warned against doing anything strenuous until the shoulder mechanics were fixed in order to avoid further injury to another area particularly the rotator cuff. I started PT in September, went once a week and was at full strength by December 2015: paddling, running, biking, weight lifting, etc.

Now a year later, I am stronger than I was before the injury. I continue to lift weights because it feels good in the shoulder. I hadnít been on a bench press in over 20 yrs but now go a couple times a week. I still have stiffness from the scar tissue and I donít think this will ever go away although my PT said it takes about 2-3 years to eliminate. The bump is barely noticeable and both shoulders are nearly identical.

I highly recommend getting a PT that knows what they are doing. Donít waste money on these PT shops that want to sign you up for several months so you can waste your time and money doing exercises in their shop that can be done at home. You absolutely need the hands on PT if you want to accelerate the healing process in your shoulder.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. Just had my first PT session today and it was as you described, with the addition of electrical stimulation. I will be going twice a week for six weeks. They've given me several ROM exercises to start with but said to lay off as soon as I feel any pain. Fortunately my insurance covers it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I dislocated,separated and tore my labrum in my shoulder 6 weeks ago in a crash. I am now 2 weeks post surgery and went to pt twice. I was going to ask other cyclists how long they waited with similar injury but there is obviously a wide range previously given for other injuries. But how much pain is everyone dealing with once back on the bike? And I'm guessing the torn labrum with the separation is why I feel I'm so much further behind then everyone else because I'll be in a sling for 2 more weeks. Thanks for any insight and everyone heal up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Broke mine 3 weeks ago. Broke at the end collarbone so not enough to for a screw to get any purchase. Have just started physio, it's dam sore.

I'm not able to drive so can't work, I'm bored sat at home..
    Just wan't to know how long will it be before I can get back on my bike, bearing in mind winter is on it's way. Which usually means wet and muddy in the UK. I'm kinda leaning to heading to the gym once the doctor gives the go-ahead and leaving getting back on the bike in spring as I'm worried about breaking it again.
    I know I have to get back on at some point..

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021