Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 1,001 to 1,027 of 1027
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    How long are you guys waiting to get back on the mountain bike? I'm 4 weeks into a grade 3 and feel like I still have at least another 4 weeks to go. I have decent range of motion, but still cannot reach over my head or behind my back. PT starts this week, for me.
    Grade III here.I was back on the road bike 3 weeks, mountain bike week four. I'm on week 9 now. Still sore at times, hurts if I pull up hard for a rock or jump. Drop off and small bumps are fine. Doc says do what ever I want within my pain threshold. Just do not fall on it. (have clipped a few trees OUCH). all in all. I only used the sling for the first week and only a few hours at a time. No pain killers, just IB prof. Based on other reviews I forced myself to keep it moving and deal with the pain early, that way I did not loose much ROM. Still cant sleep on that side and it will still hurt at random times, but pain is what you make of it. I like riding my bike more. Best of luck on speedy recovery

mtbr member
    It's amazing how much orthopedic recommendations vary in these scenarios. I was told 6-8 week recovery and don't lift anything over 5 pounds for the first 4 weeks. I wouldn't even think of getting on a bike at this point.
    Last edited by SikeMo; 09-20-2016 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My experience was very similar to the posts after my G3 separation in March 2015. I had good ROM after week 1 and was able to do pull ups/pushups, paddling, etc. by week 8 trying to get back to normal ASAP. I decided on surgery in late May because the annoying pain from the clavicle digging into my shoulder on every paddle stroke and instability when duck diving large waves.

That is when things went south. I got staph in my shoulder and spent 3 months trying to kill it in order to salvage the surgery that ultimately failed. So, not only did I lose the CC/AC joint repairs, I had much more scar tissue and muscle loss particularly in my deltoid area that was concave (i.e. a divot) by September. My right shoulder (deltoid, trap, etc.) was a shrunken mess from its pre injury form.

What helped me recover was getting a PT that was hands on: pulling, twisting, deep tissue messaging, etc. all the muscles, bones, ligaments, etc. in my shoulder area for 50 minutes followed by 10 minutes of heat therapy and a brief review on new home exercises. Some of these sessions were very painful but I could feel the improvement the next day. She warned against doing anything strenuous until the shoulder mechanics were fixed in order to avoid further injury to another area particularly the rotator cuff. I started PT in September, went once a week and was at full strength by December 2015: paddling, running, biking, weight lifting, etc.

Now a year later, I am stronger than I was before the injury. I continue to lift weights because it feels good in the shoulder. I hadnít been on a bench press in over 20 yrs but now go a couple times a week. I still have stiffness from the scar tissue and I donít think this will ever go away although my PT said it takes about 2-3 years to eliminate. The bump is barely noticeable and both shoulders are nearly identical.

I highly recommend getting a PT that knows what they are doing. Donít waste money on these PT shops that want to sign you up for several months so you can waste your time and money doing exercises in their shop that can be done at home. You absolutely need the hands on PT if you want to accelerate the healing process in your shoulder.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. Just had my first PT session today and it was as you described, with the addition of electrical stimulation. I will be going twice a week for six weeks. They've given me several ROM exercises to start with but said to lay off as soon as I feel any pain. Fortunately my insurance covers it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I dislocated,separated and tore my labrum in my shoulder 6 weeks ago in a crash. I am now 2 weeks post surgery and went to pt twice. I was going to ask other cyclists how long they waited with similar injury but there is obviously a wide range previously given for other injuries. But how much pain is everyone dealing with once back on the bike? And I'm guessing the torn labrum with the separation is why I feel I'm so much further behind then everyone else because I'll be in a sling for 2 more weeks. Thanks for any insight and everyone heal up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Broke mine 3 weeks ago. Broke at the end collarbone so not enough to for a screw to get any purchase. Have just started physio, it's dam sore.

I'm not able to drive so can't work, I'm bored sat at home..
    Just wan't to know how long will it be before I can get back on my bike, bearing in mind winter is on it's way. Which usually means wet and muddy in the UK. I'm kinda leaning to heading to the gym once the doctor gives the go-ahead and leaving getting back on the bike in spring as I'm worried about breaking it again.
    I know I have to get back on at some point..

mtbr member
    Tomorrow is 8 weeks since my AC separation. I'm doing PT and only issue I had was they think my pectoral muscle was damaged when I fell. I have 2 weeks home rehab and go back to get it checked to see that its improving. As long as it is I'm done with having to go to PT and can do normal stuff at home. My goal was to ride park before the end of the year. Planning on riding the 30th which is the last day before they close for the season.

As far as riding goes I'm trail riding now. Wednesday I did a few hops over logs with no issue. It felt pretty odd at first but it got better fast.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    This time next month and it'll be 1 year since my grade 3...

Shoulder still clunks when I do press ups, unless I splay hands out to the side and take a slightly wider stance.

Shoulder doesn't affect my riding/confidence.

The confidence thing took 5-6 months, maybe...

I've since taken the odd tumble on same shoulder and it's held up.

I am still conscious when in similar riding situations that caused the original injury.

My Brain won't easily forget the events that occurred 11 months ago.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just did this and hope it will not be affecting my bike set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It's been 5 weeks now since my accident. I returned to work Thursday, as my mental health was starting to wane . I have been having physio for the last 2 weeks and have to return to the fracture clinic this coming Wednesday. I'm still in pain and by the end of the day it is unbearable.
    Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-14358990_10154052743777266_4070886604503884285_n.jpg

The way I feel at the moment, It'll be a while before I'm back on my bike. Those of you who didn't have surgery how long was it before you were able to do some sort of exercise?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by abrooks View Post
    It's been 5 weeks now since my accident. I returned to work Thursday, as my mental health was starting to wane . I have been having physio for the last 2 weeks and have to return to the fracture clinic this coming Wednesday. I'm still in pain and by the end of the day it is unbearable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14358990_10154052743777266_4070886604503884285_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1100149

The way I feel at the moment, It'll be a while before I'm back on my bike. Those of you who didn't have surgery how long was it before you were able to do some sort of exercise?
    That one kinda looks like it should need surgery just saying you might want another opinion. My break is a 50/50 chance for surgery if it stays together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Mine was between a grade 2 and 3. 3 weeks and I was 80. 5 weeks all Ok.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Those fracture/separations look a lot more painful! Gooseberry's fragment looks less displaced and more likely to heal. Can't believe how many new members there are every time I log in here!

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    It's been 1 week since my fall. Grade 4 separation, surgery in 3 days. What should I expect for the first week? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-img_5129.jpg

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-img_5112.jpg

Just thought I'd chime in since this thread has been very helpful to me.

9 days ago on 11/3/16, I went over the bars at Bent Creek in Asheville, NC. I was wearing a helmet (thank God) and had a concussion, lost short term memory and was totally out of it...until I ate a rice krispie treat (no joke). Here's a video...notice I stop breathing for 12 seconds after the crash. The crash is right around the 1 minute mark...girlfriend found me shortly afterwards gasping for air with my eyes rolled into the back of my head. For anyone who followed my other thread, we still never found my iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfAhIyT5dFM

Anyways, we made it back to FL the next day, and for the first 2-3 days, I couldn't use my left arm at all and had to keep it in a sling. Day 4, I went to my physical therapist to show him the X-ray and have him apply some KT tape to strap down the clavicle and stabilize the joint, which helped a ton. Around day 5, I started to progress rapidly and gain back range of motion. Rode the stationary bike for 40 minutes and it felt really good to get some good blood flowing. The next day, I bought some Rocktape and really taped the shit out of the joint, following the pattern in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSXi6vHKzI

Day 7, I was able to ride my bike around the block without any pain (it only hurts getting on and off) but didn't want to push it.

Day 9, yesterday, I felt so good and had back so much range of motion that I rode my bike 5 miles on pavement and did 30 minutes on the Airdyne (think of a bike with elliptical handles). Shoulder still feels unstable during certain movements, but I have back 75% of my range of motion.

I had an MRI yesterday, but haven't received results yet.

I've been taking Cissus Quadrangularis which has helped immensely with joint pain in the past. 2400mg Cissus, 800mg ibuprofen, 2-3 fish oil capsules and 3g curcumin 3x a day since day 1. Ice 4-5 times per day for 15-20 minutes.

For the record, I separated my other AC joint back in 2009 when jumping over a 6 foot wall on an obstacle course. My legs went over the wall, but my arm didn't. I have a slight bump on the right shoulder, which healed 100% without any surgery. I'm an avid weightlifter and have full functionality in that arm. I always wondered why I had more range of motion when vertical pressing on the previously injured side...maybe I just evened myself out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    13 days in, MRI results indicate my scapula is also fractured (non displaced). Can't see an ortho until next week so I'm just staying the course with ice/ibuprofen and light exercise when I can. Rode my bike for 1.5 hours this weekend on smooth dirt paths / grass etc with no pain, and managed to do a leg workout at the gym. Still not stable enough to do anything with my arms but I'm not in a rush.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Thanks guys for the updates....it's been 1 day since surgery and it hurts like a mofo. Hopefully I can ride my trainer next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Thanks guys for the updates....it's been 1 day since surgery and it hurts like a mofo. Hopefully I can ride my trainer next week.

I had a friend setup my bike in the trainer for me. Did some easy spinning to keep from being bored and keep blood moving. About a week later I was doing my ROM stretches on the trainer while I rode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I sustained a grade 5 separation in August and had reconstruction surgery 2 weeks after the injury. I can tell you that for the first 4 to 5 weeks I was useless; unable to utilize the arm at all and too afraid to even go hiking. I started PT about 2 weeks after surgery. By week 8 I tried to do light mountain biking, making sure not to fall and to walk all of the challenging and technical stuff. I felt good that day but for the next almost week after that I was very sore and in a lot of pain. I think it may have set me back in my PT a little too. The phys. therapist yelled at me and when I saw the doctor 9 weeks after surgery he told me not to get on the bike. So now I'm heeding his warning and will ask him again about it in January when I see him again. Luckily I'm well enough to hike now and the strength in my arm has improved significantly. I feel like I can do light riding now, at 12 weeks out and I might cheat, still thinking about it.

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rocbike View Post
    I sustained a grade 5 separation in August and had reconstruction surgery 2 weeks after the injury. I can tell you that for the first 4 to 5 weeks I was useless; unable to utilize the arm at all and too afraid to even go hiking. I started PT about 2 weeks after surgery. By week 8 I tried to do light mountain biking, making sure not to fall and to walk all of the challenging and technical stuff. I felt good that day but for the next almost week after that I was very sore and in a lot of pain. I think it may have set me back in my PT a little too. The phys. therapist yelled at me and when I saw the doctor 9 weeks after surgery he told me not to get on the bike. So now I'm heeding his warning and will ask him again about it in January when I see him again. Luckily I'm well enough to hike now and the strength in my arm has improved significantly. I feel like I can do light riding now, at 12 weeks out and I might cheat, still thinking about it.
    Good luck with the recovery. After the surgery doc said I had a grade 5 due to the tissue damage that didn't show up on x-ray. I certainly over estimated my recovery, like you stated I am useless. I will heed your story and not push it. Thanks for sharing your story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Grade 5 separation and Lockdown surgery

I was excited to find this forum, and I hope you will accept my horse as my bike! I suffered a grade 5 separation 4 years ago and was told that unless I was a major league baseball player I should not have surgery. Thinking that I had no other option, I continued to compete, train ex-race horses, jump and fall off of horses with this injury - sometimes with my arm strapped to my chest to get the job done!

After four years of great pain I finally got a second opinion. This doctor said he had never seen x-rays as bad as mine, and couldn't believe I had gone this long in that kind of pain. I am scheduled for lockdown surgery the day before Thanksgiving, and I feel like I'm going to get my life back! Any tips to get through the recovery period would be greatly appreciated!

Wish I could figure out how to post my X-rays!

20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackietrentlynch View Post
    I was excited to find this forum, and I hope you will accept my horse as my bike! I suffered a grade 5 separation 4 years ago and was told that unless I was a major league baseball player I should not have surgery. Thinking that I had no other option, I continued to compete, train ex-race horses, jump and fall off of horses with this injury - sometimes with my arm strapped to my chest to get the job done!

After four years of great pain I finally got a second opinion. This doctor said he had never seen x-rays as bad as mine, and couldn't believe I had gone this long in that kind of pain. I am scheduled for lockdown surgery the day before Thanksgiving, and I feel like I'm going to get my life back! Any tips to get through the recovery period would be greatly appreciated!

Wish I could figure out how to post my X-rays!
    Wow...good luck. I am in day 5 from surgery and finally feel somewhat human. Lessons I have learned: Make sure you have some sort of support system for the first few days. Setup your recovery area with a comfy couch, small pillows, TV, books etc. I can't sleep lying down yet so I spend much time there. Take pain killers and force yourself to eat something in the first days. I didn't eat for a couple of days and it really sucked. I now eat rice oatmeal stuff like that so the side effects from the oxy are tolerable and I sleep longer.

Not sure how much this helps, but it is getting better every day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    13 days in, MRI results indicate my scapula is also fractured (non displaced). Can't see an ortho until next week so I'm just staying the course with ice/ibuprofen and light exercise when I can. Rode my bike for 1.5 hours this weekend on smooth dirt paths / grass etc with no pain, and managed to do a leg workout at the gym. Still not stable enough to do anything with my arms but I'm not in a rush.
    Watched your video. Looked like such an innocuous stretch of trail, but in an instant your life changed. Glad you're recovering. Curious to hear how you think the taping works out. Do you think your first separation was a Grade II?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FL mtb View Post
    Watched your video. Looked like such an innocuous stretch of trail, but in an instant your life changed. Glad you're recovering. Curious to hear how you think the taping works out. Do you think your first separation was a Grade II?
    I know right? I'm still not sure exactly what happened, whether I pulled back on the bars with uneven pressure, or if the rear wheel popped forward on the lip of the jump...or maybe both.

Rocktape is awesome. Every time I remove it prior to re taping, my shoulder feels way less stable than it does with it. My physical therapist feels that it's going to be a substantial factor in my healing process.

Weird thing, the X ray looks like a grade 2 or 3, but the MRI states it's only a grade 1. Perhaps that's why I'm recovering so quickly.

Anyhow, my real main concern is that I may have a torn labrum as the pain from my AC joint area has dissipated and I now only feel pain coming from inside the shoulder socket, and my shoulder still feels unstable. Meeting with an ortho next Wednesday so we'll see what he says. MRI apparently didn't find any type of labral tear, but from what I hear an MRI isnt the best way to detect it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I seperated mine 4th degree about 11 years ago. i'd say it's 98-99% back to normal and forget it happened except when I see the scar or dragging fingernails across the top there is some slight numbness/tingling, I imagine from nerve damage from the surgery. I had surgery about 3 weeks after the accident. I can't believe Jackietrently had 5th degree and gone 4 years witho surgery, that is crazy.

One thing I would suggest anyone who suffers this injury/surgery to push their doctors/insurance company for is one of these.
    https://www.activeforever.com/aircas...FUg2gQodlz0MQg

It beats holding an ice pack on your shoulder and does a much better job. You have to wear a sling anyway, and this is a sling and ice pack in one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrops View Post
    I seperated mine 4th degree about 11 years ago. i'd say it's 98-99% back to normal and forget it happened except when I see the scar or dragging fingernails across the top there is some slight numbness/tingling, I imagine from nerve damage from the surgery. I had surgery about 3 weeks after the accident. I can't believe Jackietrently had 5th degree and gone 4 years witho surgery, that is crazy.

One thing I would suggest anyone who suffers this injury/surgery to push their doctors/insurance company for is one of these.
    https://www.activeforever.com/aircas...FUg2gQodlz0MQg

It beats holding an ice pack on your shoulder and does a much better job. You have to wear a sling anyway, and this is a sling and ice pack in one.
    I second this and love my coldrush unit. I will never use a ice pack again. Btw I'm back to normal for the most part and plan on riding next week

mtbr member
    They had something like that at my PT to ice my shoulder. It was pretty awesome and really nice for after my PT.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021