• 05-04-2016
    FL mtb
    Rode 50 miles on the road Saturday. Cycling is not an issue. Got in the pool today with the goal of freestyling 10 minutes. I did complete the 10 minutes, but the first couple of minutes felt awful. I wanted to sign up from a trimming of the end of the clavicle immediately! But after a couple minutes, it really felt at least 90%. I'm sure my mechanics need some work, but I can see swimming without difficulty soon. Seven weeks tomorrow.
  • 05-06-2016
    FL mtb
    Wow! As bad as those first couple of minutes felt swimming Wednesday night, my shoulder nearly feels 100% today (Friday). I am 7 weeks and one day and I finally feel over this. Might surf tomorrow...
  • 06-05-2016
    Tt31978
    Thank you so much every one that responded to this thread!! I had a very small wipe out that gave me a bad type 3 separation in my left shoulder this past memorial day. I thought for sure my riding days were over! A google search popped this up so I had to join and say thanks. I'm only 6 days into recovery I know I have a long road ahead but I'm comforted by the others with the same injury that still ride.
  • 06-06-2016
    FL mtb
    Well, finally made it back into the Gulf. Tropical Storm Colin kicked up some waves and I went to a somewhat protected spot that turn 12 ft at the buoy into waist high waves. No trouble paddling, duck diving, popping up. Still not 3 months post-Grade 3 and really nothing I can't do.
  • 06-07-2016
    CHUM
    I'm at 6 weeks today with my grade 3. First 9 days hurt like hell...then I got a lot of range of motion back quickly after that

Started road riding at 2 weeks - could do it, but it was a mistake. It simply aggravated it and made it hard to sleep so i stayed off the bike until this week.

I tried a push up - that was dumb. Treading water hurts as well.

Currently my range of motion is ~99% and I'm at 75% strength, so things are going well :)

The only thing that really bugs me now is my scapula muscles spasm. I hope that stops at some point :(
  • 06-16-2016
    DinoRidge
    I'll be at 4 weeks tomorrow with a grade 3. I started road riding at day 10 immediately after talking to a bike mechanic who never stopped riding! Riding went well except for neck stiffness. I think I solved the neck stiffness by maintaining better posture both on the bike and off.

I read about the wakeboarder who taped his grade 3 back down, and no longer has a bump. I'm curious if anyone else has had any luck taping, as the medical community has only provided the usual 'bump or scar' scenario. I realize I may be a little late in starting (I started taping at day 24) compared to the wakeboarder, but I was told that scar tissue will continue to form for months after the injury. So, I am hoping...

My taping experience:
    Monday 13 June: I taped like the wakeboarder's link shows, with a firm elastic tape around my bicep and tricep, which formed a two-inch-long blister after less than a day.

Tuesday 14 June: Really had my wife stretch kinesiotape tight as she applied pieces chest-to-back and neck-to-delt. No tape around the blistered bicep/tricep. An hour later I felt pain like I had when I first injured myself, even with the pain meds leftover from the ER trip. The bump was visibly smaller though!

Wed 15 June: Woke to no pain, but the pain came back (though less severe) once out of bed for an hour. Rode the bike with the tape still on, and felt more confidence than ever with the shoulder. After riding in the heat the tape loosened, and I removed the tape in the evening. The bump came back to apparent full height, which is in line with the wakeboarders early taping. Taped up Wed night, aiming to find a tolerable pain level that has an effect on the bump. I've found that the 'hold your arm like a teacup' advice of the wakeboarder is key for the neck-to-delt tape; the more 'teacup', the more tension when you put your arm at your side. I had two chest-to-back pieces, one neck-to-delt piece. Pain was mild.

Thur 16 June: This morning. Very mild pain. Less tension in the tape helped, as well as not taping over the very distal part of the clavicle.

I'm trying to take a picture of the lump every day to objectively measure progress. Once I get some measurements of lump displacement I'll post them.

Anyone else taping?

An
  • 06-16-2016
    L84Beer
    I'm a little over a year out from my Grade 3 separation, and I feel like I've gotten to 90-95% of where I was pre-crash. I've been at this level for 6 (give or take) months. About the only thing I don't care to do, which may be more psychological than anything else, is lift heavy objects with my elbow extended (i.e. lifting and carrying with my arm to my side). I will caveat that I did not do much more PT than to simply manage swelling, pain and ROM in the 1st 4 weeks. Maybe I'd be better off with some focused strength building around the injury.....dunno, but I don't have much time and I'd rather be with my family and ridding or skiing

As for taping, I tried that for the 1st 4 weeks and the only thing I got from it was tape burns. I think the only thing it could possibly do is allow scar tissue to assist in holding down the clavicle, but scar tissue isn't ligaments.

I have resigned that my crash was preparation for retirement, where I will become a pirate. I now have the perch for a parrot!

My thoughts/advice:
    1) If you are thinking surgery, force the issue early on. DON'T wait. There is a part of me (albeit slowly fading into a distant memory) that wishes I just insisted on the surgery in the first two weeks. Re-injury complication risks, and potential for surgical risks for what is most likely only a cosmetic trade caused me to forego the surgery. A very good and highly reputable orthopedic friend that I ride and ski with thinks I made the best choice.

2) Don't be a puss with the recovery. As the pain allows and you are comfortable, get back at living your life. I probably could have gotten more engaged in life at an earlier point, but I held a silly notion that rest would allow me to heal faster.

3) Lots of icing and Advil as needed, to manage pain and swelling in the early days/weeks are the best path to regaining ROM and your life back.

4) by the 4 to 6 month mark, you've probably recovered as far as you're going to. The scar tissue holds things together and will eventually allow you to rest on the injured side with reasonable comfort.

5) Accept your "scar", be it a lump or a remnant scar from surgery. The lump will make you self couscous, and it freaks people out the first time they see it and/or feel it. I'll be honest, I still get freaked out by feeling the lump.

6) The non-surgical route means that putting stuff on your shoulder (e.g. skis, shoulder straps, and the like) is going to be uncomfortable and sometimes hurts, like when your skis come crashing down on the end of the clavicle.

7) The shoulder will likely always have some moderate amount of instability. I notice this most when I am playing cornhole, and I have to make a rotation of my arm to adjust how my shoulder sits so I can make a consistent throw of the bag.

Good luck and healthy healing to those recovering from their new or old separation injuries!
  • 06-16-2016
    targnik
    I'm 8 months post separation... sleeping on the injured side (my preferred sleeping side) is still somewhat uncomfortable. I can do chins (have since week 8-9) and modified press ups (last month or so) where my hands need to be a little wider and hands splayed out to the side some.

I've fallen on same side a couple of times... One was only 4-5 weeks post injury, my forearm took brunt i.e. naturally altered my impact point to protect shoulder. Other was right upper side/lower rear of shoulder where I slammed into a rotten stump (luckily it was rotten!). Neither caused any issue for my AC.

It's still clunky for the most part. But, the strength work makes a difference for mind. If structures around it are strong they will assist it in the future, when I'll undoubtedly fall again.

Fingers X'd it won't be in the top of shoulder (where/how I injured mine).

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Damage: 14' Kona Process 134, 12' Transition Bandit 29er
  • 06-16-2016
    tolleyalways
    Joining this former because of this wonderful thread. BMXer and Cat 1 road racer, dabble in CX and MTB when I find the time.

Anyway, got a grade 5 after a kid wrecked me out in the final turn of a sprint. About 11 days out, full ROM back, strength is OK, with overhead strength compromised.

I plan on detailing my recovery over the next few weeks.

I have some questions though!
    The modified Weaver-Dunn method using allograft, etc has been suggested to me. The doc fixes a lot of cyclists, and worked on Lance's collarbone. I've had my labrum done on my other arm, 3 ACL surgeries, and 4 menicus surgeries. BMX is a brutal thing. I've read about the other option such as the Dog Bone, Tightrope, Hook Plate, etc and this seems to be tried and true.

My main question, as is for most people who love riding, is how long is recovery? Primarily concerned about salvaging the end of my season. I need to know how long until I'm even casually riding road bikes. I plan on hitting rehab incredibly hard, with cryotherapy, hyperbaric, and laser treats thrown in. So people that had a similar repair, how long was it until you were at least on a road bike? Earliest I've been quoted is 8 weeks/two months. I'll post again later with pictures/video of the wreck. 31MPH with a 15ft dive into the asphalt. Almost snapped my neck, so I am fortunate!
  • 06-16-2016
    targnik
    Mmm... mine was grade 3, so take what I say with a pinch of salt ^^ I could get back on bike one week later - just rolling on flat no pedaling. It did feel weird though. 3-4 weeks and I was riding in pavement. The natural position of hand on handlebars and sitting upright wasn't painful i.e. joint being at waist height could take the weight. At 4-5 weeks I was riding (timidly) some of my normal trails. 6-8 I was almost up to full speed but still cautious. Now I don't even worry about it. I might feel it after a particularly gnarly ride ^^ but it doesn't last. I'm probably at 90% of where I was pre accident.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Damage: 14' Kona Process 134, 12' Transition Bandit 29er
  • 06-16-2016
    stoplight
    just a quick chime in. AC shoulder sprain grade II, and bicep sprain late Jan. Took at least to the end of April, mid May before I could rotate a 25lb dumbbell up to shoulder press position, hesitate then begin press movement. Prior to the fall was doing 35lb raises. Now mid June have to think about the curling movement before doing otherwise I hedge on the right side. Just about ready to move to 30lb dumbbells..that should be interesting. On occasion during normal movement throughout the day the shoulder will pop followed by a stabbing pain I feel in my gut, mommy!! Calling 90-95% recovered.....ride strong on my road bike and have dialed it back a couple notches on the mountain bike.
  • 06-17-2016
    patski
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    I read about the wakeboarder who taped his grade 3 back down, Anyone else taping? An

I "picked up" a grade 3+ five years ago, never heard the wakeboarder tip. I had good range the day after the biff and was slowly cruising on my road bike in a week. Within 6 weeks I was back riding my MTB on almost everything, only problem I had was sleeping. My Ortho was gob smacked at my initial range and how fast pain went away, he said, "don't do surgery unless it starts bothering you because it will be ugly."

I say "grade 3+" because when I broke my wrist a different Ortho said, "Wow! That's surely a 5."

Wish I knew about the taping because it gives people the chills, my wife made me turn the light out for years... :)

This is from this morning.

Attachment 1076881
  • 06-20-2016
    FL mtb
    Wow! That is an impressive step deformity!

I'm 3 months and 3 days today. Last couple of swims have been very comfortable. I can bike on road and off road without difficulty. I've been up in the tree in the backyard trimming, hanging, climbing, as always. I can surf without a problem.

There is clearly still an instability there, but it doesn't limit me or cause me pain.

The biggest adjustment has been psychological. I've adjusted to the deformity, in part thanks to this thread!
  • 06-20-2016
    tolleyalways
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Just thought I'd post a 10 week update, Grade 5 separation, AC joint reconstructed using hamstring.

Basically I'm super happy at this stage with how things are gone. The first six weeks were tough, but I really got stuck into rehab. ROM & strength have seriously really kicked on since then, and the level of background pain now is quite low.

It's a relief in a way as both the physio and surgeon mentioned that what you have at 3-4 months recovery is pretty much what you'll have from that point on. Ealier on it was a bit like, damn I'm going to be stuck with this sh*t shoulder. Thankfully not the case.

I started back on the MTB at 4 weeks, and have slowly been getting back up to speed. I'm just at the point now where I can begin to ride aggressively, still a long way from pre-injury but pretty cool none the less. Critical thing in the short-mid term remains not to crash and re-injure shoulder.

Other cool things: I can now sleep on my side, injured shoulder down, which has really helped the quality of sleep. I've also been able to return to work in a fairly physical job. I can pretty much do most day to day things with that side of my body, which is also my dominant side. The surgeon encouraged a fairly aggressive approach to rehab, and touchwood that seems to have worked well for me.

Still working away on rehab exercises. Strength both away from my body and above shoulder height is going to take a while yet.

What surgery did you have done? Going in for mine on Wednesday. Desperately trying to get back to road riding in two months. Having bouts of anxiety right now thinking about recovery.
    Oddly enough my grade 5 is feeling pretty normal. Logged 120 easyish miles this weekend. I have two huge races first week of October that I'm trying to get ready for.
  • 06-30-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    Crashed Friday. Last run of the day, last feature that I had hit all day long, landed wrong off the cliff not bringing the whip just enough back, hit left hand, shoulder, hip. I went in to PT on Monday and Tuesday. Saw doctor on Weds. The Xrays suggest I've got a stage I or II AC sprain or tear with a possibble labrum SLAP tear. Will have MRI in three weeks because just got corotzone shot. Was training for going to second trip to Whistler. Still plan to ride ALine and Dirt Merchant but thinking twice now about even attempting Crabapple. If I ride and don't crash, will my throwing around a demo 8 on jumps and off drops turn this potential stage two separatino into a stage three???? PT and Doc know my plans and never said I couldn't go ride. I've got KT Tape and a Shock Doc shoulder brace to hold things in place. Do you all think I will be ok? Thanks, and thanks for starting and contributing to this thread. The comments have helped me deal with this situation.
  • 06-30-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    Oh, meant to say going to ride Whistler this Sunday for about a week of riding daily. Wish me luck, or please offer whatever cautionary advice you think is warranted or best advice for riding downhill jumplines with a stage I-II AC sprain or tear. Thanks!
  • 06-30-2016
    stoplight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DHFREERIDER View Post
    Oh, meant to say going to ride Whistler this Sunday for about a week of riding daily. Wish me luck, or please offer whatever cautionary advice you think is warranted or best advice for riding downhill jumplines with a stage I-II AC sprain or tear. Thanks!

ah to be young again....getting back on my bike a week after my AC grade II was the last think on my mind..lol
  • 06-30-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    I'm 45 years old, but thanks. I don't plan to ever grow up.
  • 06-30-2016
    stoplight
    your body might have other ideas..I thought the same when I was your age :) enjoy your time at Whistler!!
  • 06-30-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    Thanks man, yeah, the grey hair is already starting. And I'm already getting my perspective in line with the possibility that I may not be able to ride like I want or ride at all this time. Going to be going on more hikes with my wife and boys, for sure.
  • 07-04-2016
    M320
    6 hours post crash. I'm 32 years old. 6'4 280#. Currently Still on vacation. Have to make appointment to meet with the orthopedic surgeon and get his/her opinion. I have no idea what to expect. But this post is helping some. Guess I will find out in a few days or so. Any and all thoughts / comments/ advise are more then welcome. Thanks all.
  • 07-08-2016
    ride the biscuit
    Quote:

Crashed Friday. Last run of the day, last feature that I had hit all day long, landed wrong off the cliff not bringing the whip just enough back...

well, i was gonna contribute how i hurt mine, but I'll just quote you because it went down pretty similarly...bike park a week ago. 34yo, prior shoulder dislocation and surgical repair so i must have been predisposed

I got the initial DX for grade 1 or 2, but its gotta be a 2 since my deformity is more consistent with pics of 2s and 3s

I had to go on a work trip this week and the pain didnt dog me too too badly. I tried to keep it in the sling as much as possible. Will be starting ROM at PT this afternoon aside from just easy movements in the hotel room while on the road this week.

I had some wierd tendon/nerve pain at the elbow where the tricep connects to the underside of the elbow that I assume will heal up as I get ROM back

Planning on taking it a bit easy with PT in the first few weeks. I dont think 2 weeks is long enough for atrophy to be a huge issue but want to move it enough to get blood in and prevent unnecessary trigger points from forming
  • 07-08-2016
    ride the biscuit
    one question -
    so is there any verdict on taping?
  • 07-09-2016
    stoplight
    final update......from Grade II and bicep strain from Late Jan. Age makes a difference so preface it with age 60. Last week did full bottom up shoulder dumbbell presses with 30lbs, pause and push from shoulder and no issues. Today finally,.....did 35lb dumbbell curls and no strain on the bicep during the up motion, had previously lost, with hand supinated, full curl extension. Close grip lat pull downs can be done without any pain or shoulder clicking. Calling it recovered!!! the bicep strain was the more troublesome concern and took much longer to regain full ROM and strength on the right side. My wheels shall not leave the ground on purpose from this moment on :)..
  • 07-10-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    Listen up, I've got some good news. If you have not heard of Prolotherapy, check it out. I had some Prolotherapy done and could move my shoulder the next day without pain. Was able to ride A-Line and Dirt Merchant and my usual lines but not able to or confident enough to more than mini-whips. Technical sections were a little painful, but drops and gaps ok. The shoulder is plenty sore again now after two days of riding like that, but it feels like it is getting better and stronger. Dr. Dawn out in Whistler was really positive and encouraging and saying prolotherapy is all about healing the joints and ligons and muscles and that it works. Super encouraging. Doing the hot cold hydro therapy shower thing, too, and taking vitamins, protein, and some other natural meds she prescribed. She just targeted the nerve centers mainly in the shoulder but says there is prolotherapy involving white blood cell injections and stem cell injections too. Supposedly pros are into this and some folks do it as standard practice now for upkeep of those joints that go bad with age anyways.
  • 07-16-2016
    cloudyknight
    Mine's a bit different than most here because I tore my CC but my AC was fine. I spent a lot of time reading this thread in the past few weeks, so I thought I'd add my story.

I was in a xc race on a fast easy course. I made 4th wheel into the woods and moved up to 3rd then 2nd. I was just closing in on the leader when I crashed. There was a massive log to hop over at the bottom of a downhill. I cleared it clean about 7 times before the race so I thought I knew what I was doing. It's always overconfidence that gets me. I must have been going a lot faster than I realized. The front wheel was over but I didn't push forward to lift the back wheel in time and went over the bars. I thought I was going to be fine when I was flying through the air. I did my usual dive roll and jumped up right back on the bike.

Something felt really wrong in my shoulder and after the next few corners I realized I wasn't going to ride it out and bailed out of the trail and rode back to the car. I told the race director what happened. He stretched his shirt to show me a scar from a surgery he had to fix his clavicle that he shattered going over that same log. He said he passed out when he did his and thought I was just sore.

I went to the doctor the next day to find a fracture at the distal third of my clavicle. My shoulder had the bump like it was separated but the end of my collarbone was still attached to my AC joint. It didn't look like it was going back in place so I got surgery 8 days later.

They thought it would take 2 hours at most to plate the pieces of my bone back together, but every time they tried to put a screw in, my collarbone would pop back up. I had ruptured my CC ligaments in the crash as well. My AC ligament was fine. They drilled a hole in my clavicle down to my coracoid base and dropped in a flip button with sutures as my new CC ligaments. The other end of the button is flush with my plate. 6 screws went into the plate. The operation ended up taking 3 hours and 20 minutes.

I'm now 5 weeks out from the operation. I've had very little pain and no nerve damage apart from the numb skin on top of the plate. I would have been out of my sling free to use my arm after a few days if it was only the fracture. Since it was also a ligament repair I'm only doing light passive motion with that arm and still in the sling most of the time.

The recovery is long but I think the surgery was the best choice for my situation. I start PT in 8 days. My doctor says it will be stronger than it was once it heals up but I don't know what happens if I hit it again. I'm sitting inside this summer watching Cavendish win 4 stages of the tour with both of his surgically repaired shoulders. It gives me hope that I can get back to my form.
  • 07-17-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    Supplements I've been told to take to help with AC / Labrum healing:
    JointSoothe TM (Tumeric/B3/Zinc/Selenium/Copper/Manganese/Glucosamine/MSM),
    Wobenzym N, NeoCell's Super Collagen+C, Osteo BiFlex Glucosamine/Chondroitin, MSM, Boswellia, Hyaluronic Acid, Ultimate Omega and especially EPA, as well as usual multivitamin. Also taking GNC Advanced Whey Protein.

What supplements are you taking that help?

Also, anyone tried acupuncture?
  • 07-23-2016
    FL mtb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudyknight View Post
    I'm sitting inside this summer watching Cavendish win 4 stages of the tour with both of his surgically repaired shoulders. It gives me hope that I can get back to my form.

I keep looking at shoulders as I watch the TDF. I see many bumps and narrow shoulders! I wondered how many of these guys opt for the surgery.
    Mark Cavendish ends season after undergoing shoulder surgery - Cycling Weekly
  • 07-31-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    A couple days over five weeks now. Been stretching, mostly resting shoulder, and doing electro stimulation of the shoulder to relax muscles and deal with pain in front of shoudler. After four days of that, have been starting physio training with light band tension rehab work, doing shoulder shrugs, and girl pushups but not all the way down to the ground. Can drive with hurt arm now, using steering wheel to keep flexibility and using the turns as a light workout. Takinig extra Amino Acids to help as well as protein. Have started a supplement with three types of glucosamine, too. Starting to feel positive and can see how I will be able to make it back to riding with strength again.

Funny, I Facebook messaged Tom Van Steenbergen, not because I know him, but because I admire his riding and know he recently had a big shoudler injury. He was nice enough to message me back, saying he had a stage 3 AC tear but is now back to riding full out with strength again. He just said really do the physio therapy and stick with it. That was awesome to hear. And know I'll be coming back strong.

I guess my question now would be, do I do physio every day, multiple times a day, or do I skip days by doing physio, then resting, then doing pysio. I know with lifting weights, you need to take a day between. But this light band physio, while I can feel it, it feels more like cardio workout than weight lifting. I guess the lesson with all of this is to listen to the body, do what feels good, and go slower than you normally would with working out, stay patient, be positive.
  • 08-01-2016
    ride the biscuit
    Quote:

I guess my question now would be, do I do physio every day, multiple times a day, or do I skip days by doing physio, then resting, then doing pysio. I know with lifting weights, you need to take a day between. But this light band physio, while I can feel it, it feels more like cardio workout than weight lifting. I guess the lesson with all of this is to listen to the body, do what feels good, and go slower than you normally would with working out, stay patient, be positive.

I had a dislocation and then surgical repair on the same shoulder I recently separated, so I've spent a lot of time rehabbing shoulders. It can be very easy to overdo it, and you'll know it. I've overdone it in the past doing something that feels fine in the gym or trail but then an insane amount of soreness sets in that can turn into a real setback.

Stay away from heavy push and pull exercises for a while and when you do start with such a small weight, 5 or 10 lbs max, you dont think its doing anything at all. Wait a day or two and increase if you dont have pain. Use common sense, but I will say it is difficult for me to follow my own advice. Its still pretty easy for me to overdo it on an injured shoulder.

A lot of the pain is from muscle knots, so its all about trigger point muscle therapy - Lacrosse ball works best at home but a knowledgeable physical therapist is the best. Hot water really helps, too.
  • 08-03-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    So I'm scheduled for an MRI with Arthrography injection of dye for my shoulder next week. Anyone had arthrography? Sounds painful for days. Worth it?
  • 08-03-2016
    RTM
    Quote:

do I do physio every day, multiple times a day, or do I skip days by doing physio, then resting, then doing pysio.

every case is different. general rule, if it hurts don't do it. but you really should consult with your Dr. and therapist.

Quote:

So I'm scheduled for an MRI with Arthrography. Sounds painful for days. Worth it?

I've had both types. Indirect and direct, both painless. For a grade 1/2 the MRI is probably to detect any small tear they may not have seen on the xray. the catch is, even if they see a tear, its possible they won't do anything about it anyway. if you have insurance and don't mind the out of pocket you may like to know what's going on. But really, a slight tear...no tear...even a full tear...usually ends up being the same game plan. you may be inclined to skip it. but again, I'm just a guy on the internet. definitely ask your Dr.
  • 08-05-2016
    stoplight

What ride the biscuit said....I concur. start slow, range of motion stuff, should not over work shoulders but unfortunately when you do you will not know at the time...but the next day or few days later you will get a reminder who the boss is.

I started with simple wall climbs and no weight ROM exercises. Eventually added weight slowly and cautiously.....
  • 08-05-2016
    RTM
    Now I've got a question. Grade 3, first doc recommended surgery, second felt pretty strongly against. I'm going to skip surgery for now, knowing I may need to revisit some day.

Question for anyone who skipped surgery...how is your shoulder after you fall on it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 08-09-2016
    DHFREERIDER
    MRI shows I have a stage 1 AC strain and small Slap lesion and labral tear but that the main source of my pain has been that I actually fractured my shoulder. Initial XRays didn't show it, but MRI showed subacute fracture of the greater tubrosity of shoulder with 2.5 centimeter x 2 centimeter fragment and right where rotator cuff is anchored, and thank goodness it is still anchored, but that thing pulling is causing the pain, and thank goodness all the riding I did at Whistler didn't displace the fracture. Since it is still nondisplaced and showing signs of healing, no surgery needed. If you have shoulder pain from falling on outstretched arm, this kind of fracture is common. I won't be able to really ride for months, but I will be able to come back strong. I should have taken an intro Judo lesson and learned how to fall long ago. Oh, and arthrogram didn't hurt, but being in the MRI machine was really annoying.
  • 08-13-2016
    FL mtb
    Wow! Good thing you had the MRI!

I'm 5 months today and had a minor incident road riding that makes me think not having surgery was the right choice. I was making a really low speed 90 turn and my tires washed out on dry concrete. I've been wondering how this would feel. No problem. Bounced up and rode on. I wonder if a repair would have failed with that minor fall. Haven't yet heard of someone trashing a repair.
  • 08-19-2016
    Fritobandito
    I had a pretty good fall about 3 months ago and landed directly on my left side. I hopped back up quickly, but realized something was wrong shortly after. I thought I either broke my collarbone or separated my shoulder, so I went to get some x rays. The doctor said the x rays looked fine and he said it was just a contusion. I had a hard time lifting my arm above my head for a few weeks after that.

The following month I noticed my collarbone was raised higher on that side. It wasn't noticeable visibly that much, but it was easy to feel compared to the other side. I had a physical scheduled that month and asked the doctor to take a look at the x rays again and we looked at them and they were completely normal. I asked about the bump and he said it might have been a subluxation of the shoulder. He thought I might have popped it out and back in really quick. He said they could do an MRI to find out what exactly happened, but it wouldn't change the outcome and I was almost pain free and my ROM was back by that point.

I was having a hard time understanding how the x ray could be completely normal looking, yet I have this bump on my shoulder, which was never there before. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I just rode Whistler for 5 days and had no pain or issues, but the x ray is still confusing me.
  • 08-22-2016
    dirtrider76
    I got a stage 2-3 AC separation yesterday. OTB rolled out but hit my right shoulder blade as I rolled. Thought I dislocated it but I have full ROM except up. Dr. did some resistance tests and said although its stretched real bad and might be torn some its not fully torn off. I've got the lump but collar bone moves with shoulder not separate.

I saw the tape thing but I googled last night and there are shoulder braces for these injuries to hold them tight. Dr. gave me a sling to use but it doesn't really hold my arm up much. If I prop my elbow on the arm of a chair the shoulder comes up to the collar bone and it feels normal. Has anyone tried one of these braces?
  • 08-22-2016
    M320
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I got a stage 2-3 AC separation yesterday. OTB rolled out but hit my right shoulder blade as I rolled. Thought I dislocated it but I have full ROM except up. Dr. did some resistance tests and said although its stretched real bad and might be torn some its not fully torn off. I've got the lump but collar bone moves with shoulder not separate.

I saw the tape thing but I googled last night and there are shoulder braces for these injuries to hold them tight. Dr. gave me a sling to use but it doesn't really hold my arm up much. If I prop my elbow on the arm of a chair the shoulder comes up to the collar bone and it feels normal. Has anyone tried one of these braces?

The bump is due to the collar bone no longer being held down. The only way to get that back down would be sugary. I hear you on elbow pressure feels / looks normal , but in fact you are then moving the shoulder up to the new location of the collar bone. Welcome to the bump club.
  • 08-22-2016
    dirtrider76
    Yeah I know but the bump follows the shoulder. The Dr. gently pulled down on my arm and the collar bone follows which is why he thinks it isn't severed completely. The only pain I have is at the end of the collar bone if I try to put my elbow above my shoulder.
  • 08-22-2016
    RTM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritobandito View Post
    I had a pretty good fall about 3 months ago and landed directly on my left side. I hopped back up quickly, but realized something was wrong shortly after. I thought I either broke my collarbone or separated my shoulder, so I went to get some x rays. The doctor said the x rays looked fine and he said it was just a contusion. I had a hard time lifting my arm above my head for a few weeks after that.

The following month I noticed my collarbone was raised higher on that side. It wasn't noticeable visibly that much, but it was easy to feel compared to the other side. I had a physical scheduled that month and asked the doctor to take a look at the x rays again and we looked at them and they were completely normal. I asked about the bump and he said it might have been a subluxation of the shoulder. He thought I might have popped it out and back in really quick. He said they could do an MRI to find out what exactly happened, but it wouldn't change the outcome and I was almost pain free and my ROM was back by that point.

I was having a hard time understanding how the x ray could be completely normal looking, yet I have this bump on my shoulder, which was never there before. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I just rode Whistler for 5 days and had no pain or issues, but the x ray is still confusing me.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you had a bad separation you would definitely see that damn bump. May just be swelling or a minor separation. Either way same approach. Rest until it feels better then forget it ever happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 08-22-2016
    Cherry660
    2 Attachment(s)
    i joined the shoulder lump club 4 weeks ago. Sharp turn, bike skid, shoulder impact to Tarmac ouch!
    not sure of the grade- ortho said to leave it, start physio and review in 6 weeks which made me think it was a grade 3 but then I received a copy of the letter send to my gp which stated it is displaced over 100% so I'm not sure.

ROM is not too bad now reaching across my body is difficult and up above my head still hurts. Very little strength in the arm and pain when I forget and over do something.
    Iv been going to the gym the last few days to use whatt bike and cross trainer to try and get back some cardio fitness after 3 weeks of doing very little, a massive culture shock as I had been training hard for a half marathon in a few weeks time. Not much pain when doing the workout but aching in the joint after.

I tried to drive today but it was a no go- driving not to bad but trying to park and really pull at the steering wheel brought tears to my eyes! So will leave it until next week and try again.

Few questions when I rotate the shoulder it grinds and I can feel the collar bone moving over the shoulder bones which feels weird does this get any better as it heals? I'm worried about arthritis in the joint the way the bones are running over each other.
    Also I have grinding At the opposite end of my collar bone where it is attached to the chest as if that too is moving out of place- no pain just a weird sensation.
    Muscles around my shoulder blade also seem to contract and spasm making my shoulder blade stick out which is uncomfortable anybody else experience this and have ideas on how to lessen it?

I am undecided on surgery route at present. My shoulder is improving but 4 weeks on there are still many everyday tasks I cannot do- hang washing out, iron, tie my daughters hair up silly little things that I have taken for granted.
    From a shallow cosmetic point of view I also hate the bump and feel very lob sided with my arm hanging lower that the other. I am very aware of the bump when wearing vest etc and hate the thought of never wearing anything strapless again due to the look of my shoulders... But I'm not sure if its worth the surgery and extra down time...... Lumpy shoulders suck!
  • 08-23-2016
    dirtrider76
    2 days post injury. I'm off pain meds and started ROM rehab. Shoulder has full 90degree ROM self powered every direction. Once my arm gets straight out from my side it gets tight but I was told elbow no higher than shoulder self powered. One of my stretchs for ROM is spider crawls with my hand up and down the wall. With my hand powering my arm it has full ROM already.

After ROM rehab today I was able to take a shower and put on a t-shirt with no issue's. I just did my 2nd ROM rehab for today and its better than before. I just picked up a coffee pot with no discomfort.

Shoulder lump is about half the size it was Sunday but my shoulder blade is still funky feeling. Only pain is at the end of my clavicle but that is going away fast.
  • 08-29-2016
    dirtrider76
    1 week post crash.

Full ROM, full use of arm for normal tasks UNDER 10lbs(Dr. advised limit). Putting on a shirt, washing my hair, wiping my butt you know those little things fine. Got on the trainer last Wednesday and have been doing structured training. In riding position I feel normal but I'm sure jumping/hopping stuff would bother it. My lump is there but if I push there it will go down but when let go I can feel it pull tight on my shoulder.

Sleep was a issue and was bothering my back. I normally sleep on my injured side. Sleeping on my back was ok for a bit then the front of my shoulder would tighten up. Sleeping on the non injured side it felt as if my shoulder would roll forward and the muscles would tighten up. Finally tried sleeping on my stomach with my arm off the bed but shoulder supported by the bed. PERFECT, the support keeps the shoulder from tightening in front and with a pillow under my arm it didn't just hang.
  • 08-31-2016
    FL mtb
    I used the Kenny Howard or AC separation sling from about Day 5 to Day 13. It did provide some comfort. I don't think the brace made a difference in the deformity. I'm now 5 1/2 months post-injury. I can feel the distal end of the clavicle is remodeling. There is instability there, but I rarely think about it with daily activities or recreational activities. I'm swimming up to 30 minutes a session. I was out in some decent surf from TD 9 in the Gulf for an hour and a half last night without any issue.

Cherry660: If you are really bummed about the lump, consider the surgery. If you're talking about going strapless, though, the scar does become a bit of an issue. Discuss the issue with the surgeon. He may close the incision differently for you. You might even have a plastics guy close the wound. The spasm definitely decreases as you recover and strengthen the surrounding musculature. The pain you feel with some of the extreme motions will resolve, too. As you described, reaching across the front of the shoulder and fully overhead, as well as behind my back, were particularly uncomfortable for awhile.

Keep your head up as you're only a month in and likely to make lots of progress in the next month or two!