Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    100 metres breastroke - becoming pain free at a leisurely pace

mtbr member
    Got my first collar bone injury and first broken bone tuesday night. Now have a Level 3 AC seperation and a distal radius fracture both one the right side. Cant wait to get back to riding, just got my new tubless set up in the day after my fall. I havent seen an ortho doc yet but the ER says 6-8 weeks recovery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-xray.jpg  

Ac Separation (shoulder Separation)-xray2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice separation,
    you are probably going through the surgery/ no surgery thing.

I'm now day 18 of my separation, was on my bike today (on the street), Pain is dropping off daily, 95% range of movement, good strength in certain directions, others very little.

Now tending towards no surgery, which is the advice I was given by two different doctors.

get well soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

posting photos

sorry if I appear thick, but how do you attach photos??

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    just an update for those to follow.

Day 23, swam in the sea today, took it easy but no real issues. then spent 10 mins doing SUP paddle moves, with the paddle but without the board. Again no real issues, probably ready to take the board out but a bit nervous of getting into trouble on open water. Maybe next week.

Tonight I can feel all the soft tissue around the bone. it is kind of "buzzing" rather than painful.

Next Tuesday night is bike night. 'bout time I got back on my hoss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    day 27, 16km of easy riding round the track.
    No problems at all.

No doubts about next season now

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Interesting to see everyone's experience. Hope I can add some collective wisdom.

I have a Grade 5 AC tear and getting ready for surgery next week. Pitched over the bars at ~23mph according to the GPS going down a trail I had been down a bunch of times before in a place I ride almost every weekend. Too confident + too fast = bad news. I am an XC/single speed guy so this was not some crazy technical trail with big drops and jumps.

Landed on my side, cracked the helmet and actually had the CamelBak straps rip through my jersey and tear through skin. Tried to get up and felt like I had been punched all over. Probably bruised a few ribs, not sure. Took about a long time before I could get up and look for my bike. Couple of riders passing offered to call an ambulance. That was nice, but I declined. No broken bones as far as I could tell and had all my teeth so I didn't consider things that bad.

However, I was more worried about my body over the bike. You know it's bad when that happens.

Rode out, cleaned up and tried to pretend life would return to normal. Thought I'd be riding in two weeks. Had a hard time breathing and knew the shoulder had taken a hard hit but thought it would heal. Took almost 2 weeks to get to the doctors (wife saw the bump after the swelling subsided and freaked out).

Anyway, going with the buttons + suture + ligament. Apparently that is the hot ticket these days. Goals are to reduce or eliminate the bump, return the shoulder to normal range and strength. I'm in week 3 going on 4 after the accident. Shoulder aches but no sharp pain. Went off the advil after the first week.

Hope to be on the single speed again soon. Good health to all!

mtbr member
    I'm on day 8 of a grade 3 (although the original ER doc was calling it a 5), caused by a classic endo on a trail I've ridden 100 times. I'm still amazed at how much this thing hurts! I'm spending more time today out of the sling, but mornings have been brutal and I've had to take 600mg of ibu upon waking.

The ortho recommended rehab over surgery. I had my left elbow surgically rebuilt (tommy john) years ago and don't relish the thought of going back under the knife, so rehab it is for now. But right now I'm really bumming out that I still have so little mobility and so much pain.

Somebody tell me this is going to get better. I can't bike, can't surf, can't even hug the kids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    I'm on day 8 of a grade 3 (although the original ER doc was calling it a 5), caused by a classic endo on a trail I've ridden 100 times. I'm still amazed at how much this thing hurts! I'm spending more time today out of the sling, but mornings have been brutal and I've had to take 600mg of ibu upon waking.

The ortho recommended rehab over surgery. I had my left elbow surgically rebuilt (tommy john) years ago and don't relish the thought of going back under the knife, so rehab it is for now. But right now I'm really bumming out that I still have so little mobility and so much pain.

Somebody tell me this is going to get better. I can't bike, can't surf, can't even hug the kids.
    Maybe going under the knife is the best course of action. Don't rule it out. Your kids need hugs. Can't surf? Neither can I, but I live in Colorado!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

keep it moving - after 2 weeks i had virually full range of motion, also pain dropped off dramatically.
    cycled during the week, going sailing this afternoon and maybe some SUP. (Day 30)

I have also been advised against surgery, and I still can't make up my mind if it is the right thing.

give it a few more days and you should see some rapid improvement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    setback....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantfox View Post
    the most painful thing was the quote from the surgeon yesterday.

" if we were looking at a younger, athletic patient, we would probably go for surgery"

I'm 47.
    I did mine last year (many pages back now) and I was 51!
    My surgeon never questioned me getting surgery... but then, he's a mountain biker too, and he heard plenty of how hard it is to keep me still for very long! LOL

This is a cool thread! Not cool that folks are getting hurt, but it just seems like the bin that everyone who mtb's/ski-snowboard/skateboards/etc eventually winds up in... a place to belong!

It's interesting the options available depending on your doc, and the directions people head in their treatment/rehab.

I'm... 1 1/2 years or so out now and with my surgery, I feel normal... in the shoulder, that is!

We have a trail we get to on fire roads and we cross a couple of gates. Lifting my bike up and over the gates is no problem. I never have a reminder of my shoulder injury through physical pain or deficit. I can do pull-ups, hanging stretches, yoga all with no issues concerning my repair or injury.

I ride and do just fine. I have learned to stop worrying about my shoulder when I do ride [fast].
    Yesterday I went balls-out down a nice singletrack we have locally, having a really great ride, and I don't recall once thinking about my shoulder... or my ribs... or my little pneumo last year, or my head, neck, hip.......... good or bad, I was just having fun

I wish all the new members to this thread an equally great recovery!

mtbr member
    wsmac--how long after your AC separation did you have the surgery done?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It is a great thread to review opinions based on real experiences!

My setback is based on the weekend's activities, (swimming, sailing)

Everything was going fine until saturday night, which was at best "uncomfortable"

It feels as though the bone has moved again - I can really feel the end of it poking around the soft tissue. Not exactly painful, just weird.

the only thing i did that I think could have caused this was lifting up the rudder, which is probably a 30kg lift. No issue at the time, but I'm wondering if that has shifted the bone?

It would be good to hear from some long term "no surgery" guys, to know how this thing is going to behave once all the soft tissue damage has healed..

THinking again about surgery.....

mtbr member
    wsmac--how long after your AC separation did you have the surgery done?
    Waited 6 weeks after injury to see the healing process, and to wait for the new Ortho Surgeon coming to town.

I was his first case up here... which was soon after the 6 weeks... but now I can't recall.
    Must be buried back in this thread somewhere. Injury in Feb '11, surgery in April I think?

Ligament stretched 2 weeks after surgery, opened back up and replaced with new ligament (I was told they were manually stretching the thing to make sure it wouldn't slacken after they closed me back up ).

I was put into a rigid brace for 6 weeks instead of the soft sling/foam block thing I had been in the first time.

Started physical therapy, although I did plenty on my own.

Been back to normal activities since then.
    When I posted last, I forgot that it is uncomfortable for me to sleep long on that shoulder... not impossible, just uncomfortable.
    Otherwise, I feel great! Went boogieboarding yesterday, loads of fun even when I wiped out

KCX
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Grade 5 AC separation snowboarding. Took the surgery route without a second thought.
    About 3 1/2 weeks now since surgery. Biggest problem so far is the tightness in my neck and back
    As well difficulty getting comfortable especially when trying to sleep.

Other than that just looking forward to loosing the sling and getting into PT.
    Lost quite a bit of muscle especially in my left arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCX View Post
    Grade 5 AC separation snowboarding. Took the surgery route without a second thought.
    About 3 1/2 weeks now since surgery. Biggest problem so far is the tightness in my neck and back
    As well difficulty getting comfortable especially when trying to sleep.

Other than that just looking forward to loosing the sling and getting into PT.
    Lost quite a bit of muscle especially in my left arm.
    get out of sling asap I believe it helped me tons even if its just to let your arm hang naturally as long as it does't hurt stay out of sling and start making small movements with your shoulder

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Post Surgery Here

This is the day after surgery for me. Not too much pain and the x-rays show a completely closed ac joint. I waited a few weeks after the injury to get the procedure and that created a lot of scar tissue the surgeon needed to remove.

Hope it all heals up closed and quick. Speedy recovery to all!

KCX
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mission2 View Post
    get out of sling asap I believe it helped me tons even if its just to let your arm hang naturally as long as it does't hurt stay out of sling and start making small movements with your shoulder

Thanks, ya I've been letting it out and moving around. Nothing realy hurts to much.
    Only way I can describe my shoulder is a feeling of needing to pop.
    What'd you have done and how long ago?
    I had a tight rope done ten days after injury, there was some other damage going on in there that he either cleaned up or left alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCX View Post
    Thanks, ya I've been letting it out and moving around. Nothing realy hurts to much.
    Only way I can describe my shoulder is a feeling of needing to pop.
    What'd you have done and how long ago?
    I had a tight rope done ten days after injury, there was some other damage going on in there that he either cleaned up or left alone.
    Best check with the doc who fixed your shoulder, about unslinging.

The sling helps take weight off your repair while it sets up and heals. You go putting too much weight on it too soon and you risk undoing what was done.
    Seriously.
    I'm all for getting on that PT as soon as possible... but don't let people who's medical expertise comes only from their personal injury influence you too much... even me and my personal experience.
    Sure... use our experiences, but definitely rely more on the advice from the person you trusted to actually cut into your body! Would you allow anyone here to open you up and sew buttons and shoelaces into your body? If the answer is YES... be sure to provide pics! After all... it ain't SH\T without pics!

With shoulder injuries (and other similar joint injuries), if you have stretched the connective tissue holding the joint 'together', you will have a loose joint.
    Even with a repair to a shoulder injury, you may have a loose joint until all your connective tissue(s) (tendons, ligaments, fascia) heal.
    Things will likely pop until the healing is done, but then again... you may always have some degree of slack that will allow the joint to pop. It's not that actual bone ends are popping off each other, but more likely the stretched connective tissue slipping over bone ends and bony prominence.

Then again... I'm not a real doctor... I just pretend to be one with my GF!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantfox View Post
    It would be good to hear from some long term "no surgery" guys, to know how this thing is going to behave once all the soft tissue damage has healed..

THinking again about surgery.....
    I'm not sure if I qualify as "long term" yet, but next week it'll be 1 year since the Grade 3 on my right shoulder. I'm right-handed.

At the recommendation of two orthos I didn't have surgery, and have not regretted that decision at all so far.

One year out and I have full range of motion and strength as before. I can now sleep on that side, but probably only in the last 2 months has that started being comfortable again.

I'm riding just as well as before (or just as badly, you could say) and have crashed on that shoulder several times now since the injury without any additional problem.

It took me a while to get my confidence on technical stuff back - about 6 months I think before I was back to where I'd been: but that has nothing to do with surgery vs no surgery.

I do alot of open water swimming, and did my longest race yet (5km) when I was about 7 months out from the injury, but I'd been back in the water from about month 2 (doing breaststroke) and then freestyle from month 3. I've saved going back to butterfly for my one year anniversary next week! Best of all, I haven't lost any pace or endurance.

I'm a little hazy on the timelines now, but I think from about month 4 onwards I was pretty much back to doing everything as before the injury, with the exception that my free-riding career has been placed on indefinite hiatus (it was botching a jump that gave me the injury to begin with).

I had weekly PT for about 2-3 months, but haven't been back since.

So as I said above, 1 year out I'm pleased with the course of treatment I took. I don't think surgery could have given me a better outcome at this stage. What it'll be like in 10 years, 20 years etc, who knows?

Anyway, speak to lots of Drs and other experts. Don't take too much advice from strangers on internet forums and good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks bloodpuddle for that info.

i'm now 5 1/2 weeks..went sailing yesterday and today, been cycling round the track (tarmac), swimming is OK. Went SUP on thursday and today and that was too much. Not really painful, but i got the feeling that it wasn't doing me any good.
    Can't get used to the feeling of having the bone floating around in amongst the muscle. Still feels strange.

My doc told me that all the soft tissue damage would be repaired after 3 months and after that it will be as good as it is going to get. so I'm almost half way there.

long term , just need to be patient!

Harrumph
    I'm exactly 3yrs out from mine. I've got a few posts in this thread if you want details. But the cliffs notes are: No surgery, have a goofy bump, only pain is from sleeping on that side or physical activity like a wide grip pull up or mil press.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    tnks for that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    5 months out from Grade 3 AC Separation plus the dreaded frozen shoulder...I'm 52. I've been mountain biking the last 3 months or so but taking it easy. I finally rode on the trail I injured myself on this month...rode slow, dragged my brakes everywhere, avoided jumps....except for bunny hopping over stuff....I'm definitely gun shy and don't want to get hurt! Injuries suck!! Anyway, I'm hoping my confidence will build up over the next several months....

I did get to surf 5 days straight last week thanks to Tropical Storm/Hurricane Leslie! I ended up with ice on my shoulder after those long paddling sessions....

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast