mtbr member

4 collapsed lungs!

had a spill early november, collapsed my lung. the normal chest tubes didnt work so it collapsed again, and then i had to have a pretty big surgery to fix it, and that didnt work so it collapsed again, and i had really big surgery to fix it, and that didnt work, so it collapsed for the fourth time, they redid part of the surgery and it seems to be staying up for now. the doc said he hasnt seen a case this bad in 15 years. and im only 15 years old. damn.
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

mtbr member
    Perhaps you should use bodyarmor, with a chestplate.

mtbr member
    Yea that sucks man, at this point prob best to just take every bit of advise from the doc, live a little cautiously until given the ok to do anything strenuous, wouldn’t want to hurt it again.
    My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough. -N.C.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wow! - I hope you recover quickly

I am sorry to hear about your lung. I was told that a recollapse is rare too. I crashed in a XC race and collapsed a lung - tubed - recollapse a couple of days later - tubed - accumulated fluid was trapped in the lung - tubed again during imaging. Anyway, I spent a month in the hospital with those tubes!

I know how bad it hurts and hope you recover quickly. Good thing you're 15!!! You'll heal up fast!

Hang in there!

mtbr member
    thanks guys. im gonna buy a nice chest protector for all my riding when i get ready to start again. at least its during the winter, so i dont lose a huge chunk of riding time
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

sympathy for society
    Damn man... sucks to hear,... hope you recover as fast as possible....
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's another wish for a speedy recovery.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Edibles

wow

I work in surgery and i would say you are one unlucky lucky cat.Good luck and take it easy you got plenty years left.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hhhmmmm..... the infamous spontaneous pneumothorax. It is actually quite common at your age (I bet you are relatively tall and skinny as well). Furthermore, it is even more common for a relapse (another collapse) once you have had one. Although the scar tissue seems to toughen the bleb area of the lung, there is still a good chance of having another (with the exception of the surgery you are referring to). It is actually quite random - you may have another in 6 months and you may not have one for 10 years... or never again.

I'm sure your Dr has explained that young, skinny tall guys are prone to it. Unless, of course, it was a trauma that caused the collapse..... in which case I will still bet that you are fairly tall and skinny if it keeps reoccurring.

Take it easy and don't hold your breath and push too hard when you poop!

Sweet
    I know the feeling also....Had my right lung deflated twice and chest opened in 3 different places due to cancer. Chest tubes and 3 weeks in the hospital.
    Ribs were numb for 3 yrs. now starting to cause awful pain where they were split.
    B_chanc still waiting for you to come out and ride buddy! So glad you recovered!
    And kid, take it easy! You've got a lot of years ahead of you!
    More fun than an open casket funeral

Glad to Be Alive
    15 years old......man you have a lot of time...take it easy and heal up strong
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I collapsed mine when I was 19 in a skiing crash, and have been just fine since, I am tall and skinny too, although Im not sure what that has to do with it. Take it easy for a while and heal up well. Take care.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Listen to the DR and be careful! There will plenty of time for riding when your body is up to the task!