Drink...sleep

20 May, Thetford Forest, UK: big concussion and amnesia

Hi,
    I crashed badly on the black route in Thetford Forest in the UK on Sunday, May 20. Got a bad concussion and can't remember anything that happened. I ate an apple around 12.30 and that's about the last thing I can remember before my crash. Someone called in the ambulance around 13.30, and I was airlifted to the hospital. I know this is a very long shot, unlikely to be succesful, but I'm looking for whoever found me and called the ambulance. If you're reading this, I want to thank you for what you did: calling the ambulance of course, but also bringing my bike (Cannondale Prophet SL) with its tacoed front wheel back to the High Lodge, and for not stealing my camera, but putting it in my camelbak . Also, I really would like to know where exactly I fell, and if there was any sign there on what could have caused my crash? Because I have no idea how I could possibly fall on that route, since it's so easy.

Thanks for reading,
    Daan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check my reply above--I came upon an unconscious rider today

People are at their best when things are at their worst. The good that happened to you is a given--only an insane crazy a!!hole would ever take advantage of someone messed up. As far as finding out who all these good samaritans are, remember that not everyone cruises mtbr. If you truly want to get in touch with these folks try the EMTs who attended you. I gave my name and phone number to a sheriff who was on the scene.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Hi,
    I crashed badly on the black route in Thetford Forest in the UK on Sunday, May 20. Got a bad concussion and can't remember anything that happened. I ate an apple around 12.30 and that's about the last thing I can remember before my crash. Someone called in the ambulance around 13.30, and I was airlifted to the hospital. I know this is a very long shot, unlikely to be succesful, but I'm looking for whoever found me and called the ambulance. If you're reading this, I want to thank you for what you did: calling the ambulance of course, but also bringing my bike (Cannondale Prophet SL) with its tacoed front wheel back to the High Lodge, and for not stealing my camera, but putting it in my camelbak . Also, I really would like to know where exactly I fell, and if there was any sign there on what could have caused my crash? Because I have no idea how I could possibly fall on that route, since it's so easy.

Thanks for reading,
    Daan
    You can also ask at the High Lodge. You never know whether you're dealing with a Good Samaritan or the Lone Ranger.

Edit: I just had a thought. If you don't remember anything that happened, maybe you had two cameras
    Last edited by California L33; 06-17-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Drink...sleep
    Thanks guys. I did contact both the High Lodge and the helicopter station, and both couldn't give me any more info. I then posted on a much visited UK mtb'ing forum, where miraculously someone who knew the guy who called the ambulance replied. Gave me enough info to confirm my suspicions that it was a wheel failure that caused it all.

I also just got my camelbak back, after I left it with a collegue for quite a while (seeing I'm from the Netherlands and just started work in the UK, that's where I stayed for a couple of days after I came out of hospital, before going back to Holland for a few weeks). Seems there are some insane crazy a--holes in this world unfortunately, as the 20 pound note I always keep inside it for just in case situations was missing. Probably easier to grab than a camera, since you'd have to sell the latter. Anyways, I'm feeling a lot better now than a couple of weeks back, and that's what matters most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Welcome to Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Thanks guys. I did contact both the High Lodge and the helicopter station, and both couldn't give me any more info. I then posted on a much visited UK mtb'ing forum, where miraculously someone who knew the guy who called the ambulance replied. Gave me enough info to confirm my suspicions that it was a wheel failure that caused it all.

I also just got my camelbak back, after I left it with a collegue for quite a while (seeing I'm from the Netherlands and just started work in the UK, that's where I stayed for a couple of days after I came out of hospital, before going back to Holland for a few weeks). Seems there are some insane crazy a--holes in this world unfortunately, as the 20 pound note I always keep inside it for just in case situations was missing. Probably easier to grab than a camera, since you'd have to sell the latter. Anyways, I'm feeling a lot better now than a couple of weeks back, and that's what matters most.
    You start your new big job, you ride an easy trail and wake up in the hospital 20 pounds lighter! I guess there's no avoiding thieves in whatever country you're riding in but the good thing here is (I think) you're OK with no lingering affects.

dpr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Boozzz, Im sorry to hear about your crash. I hope your healing up well. You dont happen to live in Cambridge and ride with the tuesday/thursday night gang there some times?
    Just one more hill...

Drink...sleep
    Hey dpr, I think I'm almost at 100% again. Have to do a (final, hopefully) checkup in Amsterdam next weekend, so I hope all is well. Actually, I do happen to live in Cambridge, but I haven't heard of the night gang. I am looking for a riding mate though, as, after this incident, I won't go out there alone anymore. I see you're from Cambridge too; what do you say, when I get my front wheel back (should be sometime next week or weekend), we could meet for a ride? (in Thetford forest, where else ) The Night gang does sound interesting too, but I'd have to get some proper lighting equipment first.

dpr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sorry buddy no can do, I have infact just recently moved to Devon. I asked because I knew a Dutch guy from that group I went out with from time to time and figured it might be you. I guess not.

The night gang are a great bunch of guys. Fairly mixed in ability (I was about the worst!). Here's their website: http://www.cammtb.co.uk/.

Good luck with your recuperation and sorting your ride out.
    Just one more hill...

Drink...sleep
    Ah, pity, but thanks for posting the link to the night gang's site! I'll definately go and check 'em out once I'm completely up and running again.