boba fett on a bike

07 HiFi...FS better for my back than HT?

There's a brand new base 07 HiFi at the LBS that I've had my eye on for about 6 months. I ended up buying something else (07 GF Rig which I love), but I still think about that HiFi once in awhile. I've tested the HiFi several times around the parking lot and I still like it. It's discounted down to $1100 and I'm pretty tempted to pick it up. I've had some recent back issues (protruding disc in my low back, but I'm doing good...no surgery thanks to God). I had a steroid injection and I'm doing physical therapy so I'm hoping to make a full recovery within 2 months or so. Well maybe not "full," but good enough to be off "light duty" at work. Right now I'm riding my HTs about 3-4 times per week. I'm not going crazy, but I'm getting some good, much needed workouts. My back has felt okay after riding and I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. If I had to guess I'd say 4-5 miles each ride with short breaks in between.

The sales manager at the LBS is very cool. I asked about taking it out on a trail sometime and to my suprise the store manager said no problem...she's very cool BTW. There was a Trek/GF demo day I went to last year. I rode a HiFi Pro Carbon at the trails and it felt incredible. I know the base HiFi isn't anything near what the Pro Carbon is, but the geometry is the same...and I felt very quick and comfortable on that bike.

Some of my biggest concerns are the fork and components on the base HiFi. My two other bikes both have great forks and higher end components. Will I be dissappointed in the base HiFi or do you think it's something I should consider picking up?

I really don't need another bike, but at that price it would be hard to not try out a full suspension bike. I've considered a Santa Cruz Superlight as well, but even for the basic setup it would cost me nearly $2000. Like I said...my back isn't "killing" me right now on the two HTs I'm riding, but I think a FS might be better for me in the long run. Even if I did pick up the HiFi I don't know that I could part ways with my Rig or Stumpy HT for awhile...they just might have to collect some dust until I figure things out.

Thanks,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

There are a hundred reasons why a FS is better

Easier on your back is just one of them.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Team Chilidog!
    My first full suspension (2000 Specialized Enduro Pro) felt like a sofa going uphill. Didn't like it. Went back to a hardtail (GF Big Sur). Got tired of the backaches, even with a suspension seatpost (it may help you, didn't help me). So I picked up a Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ in 2003, so your situation sounds awfully familiar

I love riding a hardtail, and I even picked up a steel one for riding road. However, for trails, I always ride my full suspension. My back really appreciates it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    funny ive demoed 3 fs bikes and ride my wifes alot and my hard tail is the best for my back not sure why

i have 1 herniated disc and 1 compressed

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    funny ive demoed 3 fs bikes and ride my wifes alot and my hard tail is the best for my back not sure why

i have 1 herniated disc and 1 compressed
    Because none of the other bikes fit you as well as your hardtail.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have some lower back disc issues too. crushed them 1 year ago. i bought a GF Hifi couple months ago and it's great. switched out the deores for sram X9's and now it's perfect. I rode a couple of my buddies HT on the same trails and it was brutal. big difference riding over lots of roots and small jumps we have locally. FS all the way